March 28, 2024, 10:46:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Spark 2 Bug Fix Requests Compilation  (Read 68533 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Spark 2 Bug Fix Requests Compilation
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:23:29 am »
This is just a thought.
Considering that the devs are looking at bug fixes for Spark 2, perhaps we could come up with a list of everything we've noticed and would like to see fixed, possibly improved. They're all kinda scattered all over the forums here.
No "new features" tho please. Let's keep it chill, eh? :)

EDIT: As suggested by Edouard Arturia, I will try to keep up with collating the responses to this thread here in this first post. If any admins feel up to it, I'm open to help in keeping this up to date. Thanks!
Please check this list before posting.

Don't forget to always mention: Your precise OS version, DAW version and the precise steps to reproduce the issue.
Otherwise your posts won't help....

- Inconsistent results when drag-n-dropping samples onto pads, ESPECIALLY when trying to layer sounds. Very glitchy, and not even remotely a smooth workflow.
- Sampler exceedingly difficult to work with, seems to "lose" sample assignments sometimes.
- Modular view resets zoom and pan and module arrangement every time you leave it.
- Slow loading times in the Library browser (even off an SSD)
- When recording knob movements (using hardware) the result is inconsistent. Knob often resets to a default value.
- Drag-n-drop .wav export of patterns very inconsistent, sometimes crashes Spark. (MIDI works fine, for me)
- Changing effects presets extremely slow ... even simply changing parameters painfully slow.
- Some of the effects are buggy. I'm looking at you, Distortion and vocal filter
- When drag-n-dropping samples directly onto pads in the main interface, WHY does it always insist on putting in two Bode filters. If I wanted Bode filters, I'd put them in myself.
- no adjustable velocity threshold for layering samples. Used to be there, isn't there anymore.
- Loading samples has a pop up windows that says "please select the MOOSE you want to use". Bad translation.
- drag and drop samples is inconsistant on windows 7. Spark 1.6 was good with this but hasn't worked since 2.0 dropped.
- Spark Dub, Spark EDM, Spark 2 with Catanya2 added to the mix crashes any DAW with an Access Violation error.
- The Spark software is using the shared memory addresses in a wrong manner. This is the reason why you have capped the VST amount to 4. Its unstable because of this reason. (EDIT BY OP: Not sure what this means, but I added it to the list)
- MIDI learn seems to work fine when you map notes to the pads, it doesn´t seem to recall correctly all of the mappings when I reaload the project
- Ispark app on IOS has no volume adjustment for metronome. It just blasts your eardrums, like a screaming baby (EDIT BY OP: This isn't really about iSpark, but I added this anyhow)
- Song position pointer not working right in Cubase 6 thru 9 Pro (other DAWs as well?) .. doesn't follow song position properly after stopping and re-starting
- the dialer on the CDM hardware to browse thru samples on disk in the library tab ... after I assign a selected sample to a pad by pressing the dialer, the list always resets (to 1) when I turn the dialer to select a new sample for another pad
- The software MUST be on the Library screen for the Big Knob on the hardware controller (CDM here, can't comment on LE) to browse thru instruments. Should be able to do that from ANY of the screens.

BIG list update, copied directly from the post.

Master Track Limit - There is a built in limiter on the Master track which affects making a proper drum track.  Either the limiter should be removed from the Master Track or an Out1 should be added to the output section when using individual outputs. (Only thing I consider a big issue. Your kick drum is probably being affected.)

Equalizer - If you add the Equalizer to a drum, and bring down the 63Hz fader all the way (-40db), save the project, and return to the project the sound of the drum disappears to silence. There also seems to be a problem with the 32Hz fader when brought down all the way and saved.

Leslie Effect – The Leslie Rotation Speed knob is mislabeled.  When the Leslie Rotation Speed knob is set to "Fast" the speed eventually stops.  When the Leslie Rotation Speed knob is set to "Slow" the speed is actually fast.  When it is set to "Stop," the speed is actually slow.

Distortion – The Tube Distortion type does not work at a 100% Wet setting.

Saving - “Click to choose” an image does not work when saving a preset.

REV button – In the Studio panel, if I press the REV sample button on one instrument pad and then move to another instrument pad, the REV button still remains illuminated. Visually there is no way to tell if a sample is reversed.

Vocal Filter LFO - The LFO Off/On Switch on the Vocal Filter behaves like a slider instead of a button.

Select 12 Shortcut - The Select-12 shortcut turns off both Accent Mode and Song Mode.

Tune Mode – Tune Mode cannot be played with the Sequencer Step buttons on the GUI.  They can only be played with the hardware.

Tempo Knob after switching GUI – When switching from one GUI interface to another the tempo knob gets panned to a hard right at 300bpm (although the tempo itself will not be affected).

Library Panel - In FL Studio, when the Detached option is chosen while the Library Panel is open, then the Library Panel disappears.

LCD & Song Button - When pressing the Song button in the Main Panel to turn on Song mode in either the SparkLE or Spark Creative GUI Interface, the LCD displays "Step Mode 3.0" instead of "Song Mode:  ON."

Drum Pads 15/16 – When Pad 15 & 16 is selected, often the third Instrument Parameter knob's assignment text will not be displayed.  For example, if I load the "Alien Circuit" project and select Pad 15, the third Instrument Parameter knob shows that it is assigned to Freq Shift but not text is displayed beneath it  Pad 16 shows it is assigned to BPF Cutoff, but again the text is not displayed.  When the knob is adjusted a tooltip appears that displays "MUTE OFF."  Also when the knob is in this state, right-clicking it does not bring up the "Enable/Disable motion" & "Edit motion" options.  Most of the projects that seem to have this problem belong to the "Spark Factory," "Spark Vintage,” and some of the demo expansion packs.  It's always the third Instrument Parameter knob for Pads 15 & 16 that is affected.

Effect Presets – I can overwrite the default factory Effect and Mixer Output presets.  I can also delete them.

Mixer Faders – Double clicking the mixer faders bring them back to a value of -33db instead of the expected 0db.

Speark Creative Tap Tempo - If I tap out a tempo on the tempo pad in the the Spark Creative GUI, the tempo will update but the tempo knob itself does not react to the change.

Spark Creative GUI 9-16 - Instruments 9-16 do not display underneath the drum pads in Spark Creative GUI’s Main Panel.  Instruments 1-8 remain on the display when switching to Instruments 9-16.

Verbose Mode – No accessible verbose mode on SparkLE GUI. Verbose Mode on Spark Creative GUI is incorrect. For example. Select 4 says “Prefs” but it actually opens the Studio Panel. Select 5 says “Studio” but it actually opens the Modular panel. If you leave Verbose Mode on in the Spark Creative GUI and return to the SparkLE, the layout of the text is poor, incorrect, and ugly.

Export Icons - In Windows, if you export a Spark kit the resulting icon has an iSpark logo. An exported iSpark kit has no icon.

EDIT:
I'm going to sneak in here a small section of requests as well. I hope that's okay. I readily admit I'm doing this because of three rather standard sequencer features I think are glaringly missing.

- Ability to copy/paste individual instrument patterns between each other
- Ability to shift patterns left or right (individual instruments as well as full pattern)
- Randomize pattern (including velocity)
... those are my three then ;)
others ...
-output each instrument to mono rather than stereo
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 10:03:00 am by Edouard_Arturia »
This space left intentionally blank.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Re: Spark 2 Bug Fix Requests Compilation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:44:19 pm »
okay, I'll start  ;D ........ (I have the CDM hardware .. running Win 7 64-bit Pro, using both Reaper 4.x thru current and Ableton Live 9 Lite)

Inconsistent results when drag-n-dropping samples onto pads, ESPECIALLY when trying to layer sounds. Very glitchy, and not even remotely a smooth workflow.
Sampler exceedingly difficult to work with, seems to "lose" sample assignments sometimes.
Modular view resets zoom and pan and module arrangement every time you leave it.
Slow loading times in the Library browser (even off an SSD)
When recording knob movements (using hardware) the result is inconsistent. Knob often resets to a default value.
Drag-n-drop .wav export of patterns very inconsistent, sometimes crashes Spark. (MIDI works fine, for me)
Changing effects presets extremely slow ... even simply changing parameters painfully slow.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll remember more next time I'm working with Spark.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:24:46 pm by artao »

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:52:01 am »
Some of the effects are buggy. I'm looking at you, Distortion and vocal filter

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 03:03:02 am »
...Considering that the devs are looking at bug fixes for Spark 2...

Is there confirmation of this somewhere?

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
...Considering that the devs are looking at bug fixes for Spark 2...

Is there confirmation of this somewhere?
After repeatedly bringing it up on their Facebook page -- in particular pointing out that they're still selling the SparkLE with the software, which they know is buggy -- I finally got a response saying that "I had a valid point" and that they were going to have the devs take a look at what they can do.
So I can't give you rock solid confirmation. No.
BUT!!! That's the most direct response I've yet seen from Arturia at all on this. Pretty much the ONLY public comment regarding the future of Spark 2.
So hold out hope.
ALSO! Please remember to submit your bugs and gripes and irritations with the software, otherwise they won't know what we, the users, are experiencing and would like to see fixed or improved.
No new features, mind you. I'm okay with them holding off on that for a new version of Spark. For isntance, a TOTAL rework of the sampler module. Or more extensive sequencer controls (like copying patterns between instruments, pattern shifting left and right, or even random patterns)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 08:20:47 pm »
Two more things:
A) When drag-n-dropping samples directly onto pads in the main interface, WHY does it always insist on putting in two Bode filters. If I wanted Bode filters, I'd put them in myself.
B) While working on a track the other day, I created a new kit. For awhile, all the pads were empty, but after setting up my pads for awhile, all of a sudden Spark 2 had filled in all the other pads that I hadn't yet touched. I was VERY thankful that it hadn't screwed with the pads that I'd already set up, because I had carefully layered several samples onto them. Clearly some sort of odd bug there. ... ALSO, for some reason, it had put "default" effects on the two sends as well as the master, and also somehow defaulted several of the pads to have sends set up for pads I hadn't even touched. It took me a good while to figure out why my samples didn't sound right, until it occurred to me to check the mixer. That was very irritating.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 10:09:05 pm »
no adjustable velocity threshold for layering samples. Used to be there, isn't there anymore. Loading samples has a pop up windows that says "please select the MOOSE you want to use". Bad translation.

drag and drop samples is inconsistant on windows 7. Spark 1.6 was good with this but hasn't worked since 2.0 dropped.

UNHAPPY WITH ARTURIA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:40 pm »
Spark Dub, Spark EDM, Spark 2 with Catanya2 added to the mix crashes any DAW with an Access Violation error.

The Spark software is using the shared memory addresses in a wrong manner. This is the reason why you have capped the VST amount to 4. Its unstable because of this reason.

SoliDeoGloria

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2017, 03:16:54 pm »
Hello!

I´m new to the forum, but I just wanted to point out that Spark 2 is giving me some problems since I adopted it for my productions. Specifically, the most prominent issue is that while MIDI learn seems to work fine when you map notes to the pads, it doesn´t seem to recall correctly all of the mappings when I reaload the project. While I haven´t made a proper bug test, this has happened on various occassions and I sincerely have to move for now to NI Battery to continue working properly. I hope that there can be a bug revision on this instrument, since it sounds very nice and has a bunch of features that are interesting for my taste...

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 11:45:25 pm »
Ispark app on IOS has no volume adjustment for metronome. It just blasts your eardrums, like a screaming baby

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 09:40:07 am »
Hey Guys.
It's a good Idea to reference here the bugfixes you have found.
It would be great to raise a list on the first post, so the other pals can see what has already been dig.
Then later we can maybe start a poll to check what's the most important to you guys.
With all the respect, I won't edit your post without permission, so just a suggestion here..
Cheers
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 11:43:09 am »
Please can we have the option for mono outs and song position pointer............ the onboard sequencer in Spark is pretty much useless in a studio situation, song position pointer would make Spark MUCH more useful and powerful.

Thanks  8)

PS, how come my post is 'awaiting moderation' yet spammers can post quite freely? This happens to me nearly every time i post on here...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:44:40 am by matjones »

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 02:43:10 am »
Hey Guys.
It's a good Idea to reference here the bugfixes you have found.
It would be great to raise a list on the first post, so the other pals can see what has already been dig.
Then later we can maybe start a poll to check what's the most important to you guys.
With all the respect, I won't edit your post without permission, so just a suggestion here..
Cheers
Edouard
That's a great idea Edouard, I hadn't thought of that. If you feel up to editing it, by all means go ahead. I will do my best as well to keep up with it.
Very glad to see that Spark 2 may be getting some love. Cheers! :D

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 02:54:35 am »
Please can we have the option for mono outs and song position pointer............ the onboard sequencer in Spark is pretty much useless in a studio situation, song position pointer would make Spark MUCH more useful and powerful.

Thanks  8)

PS, how come my post is 'awaiting moderation' yet spammers can post quite freely? This happens to me nearly every time i post on here...
If you pan to center, you essentially get mono out even tho it send to a stereo pair.
The Sequncer view has a song position pointer. It's a light line traveling through the sequencer. On the main panel, the sequence step lights up (on both the software interface and the hardware) as the step is activated.
:D

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 02:12:15 pm »

Thanks  8)

If you pan to center, you essentially get mono out even tho it send to a stereo pair.
The Sequncer view has a song position pointer. It's a light line traveling through the sequencer. On the main panel, the sequence step lights up (on both the software interface and the hardware) as the step is activated.
:D

Hi Artao and many thanks for your input.

The reason for asking for mono channels is that some of us use UAD plugins and some other DSP heavy plugins such as waves J37 which use twice the amount of UAD sharcs or twice the amount of native DSP as a mono channel, obviously running a mono sound through a stereo channel is a waste of processing power, ok it's possible to route each stereo channel to a mono bus but that's annoying.... BFD and other drum VSTis have mono outs so why not Spark?

Also, i've just spent 40 minutes trying to get song position pointer working as it should... it does not work!
If i stop a project on bar 40 and then return the project to the first bar Spark will not track this, it will just stay on bar 40 and will continue from there instead of following the project position.... this is useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unless of course i am missing something here... i have been through the manual several times on several occasions and can still find no way of doing this....
So unless there is a specific problem with Cubase , versions 6 through to 9Pro, or i'm missing something here as song position pointer does not work!

I hope that clarifies my points for you :D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines