April 20, 2024, 07:36:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Interfacing MB with Cakewalk by Bandlab for beginner  (Read 805 times)

vocemur

• Apprentice
Interfacing MB with Cakewalk by Bandlab for beginner
« on: February 28, 2023, 03:08:23 am »
Pleae help me figure out how to interface my outboard synth with Cakewalk Bandlab.  I've spent hours and can't figure it out.  I'm new to DAW software.  I'm a bit old school... the last software I used was Cakewalk 2.0 from, I think, 1989.

I just want to use it to sequence notes, then play back the sequence while the DAW records the MB.
Under Cakewalk's MIDI preferences: there's a lot of parameters that I don't understand.
In the old days, I remember local off/on. But, MB doesn't have that button.
I appreciate you advice.
Thanks! ???

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Interfacing MB with Cakewalk by Bandlab for beginner
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 11:15:32 am »
I'm not familiar with Cakewalk, so can't help you there. Maybe some other forum members will step in for that.

However, the MxB has a local on/off function. You can find it in the MIDI Control Center (not sure if you're familiar with that?), or you can set it on the synth itself by going to the Settings Mode.

To do this, you press PRESET + SEQ + MOD simultaneously. The matrix will then display the settings for the synth. On row P, the first two buttons control local on/off. Also watch the preset and sequencer displays to see the status as you use the settings mode. Press any of PRESET, SEQ or MOD to exit Setting mode. You can read more about this in the manual "7.3 Settings mode".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 02:52:23 pm by DrJustice »

thark

• Apprentice
Re: Interfacing MB with Cakewalk by Bandlab for beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 02:23:01 pm »
I do this all the time with my synths, including my Matrixbrute. My DAW is Cubase but I don’t imagine that the basic steps are all that different using Cakewalk. What I do is first set up a midi track and use it to record a sequence from whatever device I want to use. It doesn’t need to be the Matrixbrute since midi is … midi, wherever it comes from. Then, I set up an audio track and set the midi track to output on the Matrixbrute midi channel and record it I rather like doing this because later, if I find that I’m not satisfied with the audio, I can simply re-record the audio from the midi track with a minimum of fuss.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines