March 28, 2024, 08:43:54 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Feature Request - VU meters and a multiple  (Read 2900 times)

jeffbart

Feature Request - VU meters and a multiple
« on: July 27, 2016, 12:24:33 pm »
A meter to see if I'm clipping things ( at the VCAs??)  and a multiple to gang things together (without using the mixer) would be nice additions.
Bazille has a few multis, they are handy.

Arturia, i am in love with the Modular, it sounds so strong, it's never boring. My favourite thing at the moment. :)
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

LBH

Re: Feature Request - VU meters and a multiple
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »
I have for a long time requested a output meter for all applications. So yes please. :)

What do you mean with "a multiple to gang things together"? What's the difference to using the Mixer? Layering?

jeffbart

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 07:39:40 am »
What do you mean with "a multiple to gang things together"? What's the difference to using the Mixer? Layering?

same outcome as using the mixer, just simpler and without volume control.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 02:54:50 pm »
Hi jeffbart,

Thanks for the image. Yes that i can see can be useful.

I would also like if it was possible for one destination to be connected from multiple sources.

Best
LBH

Tausendberg

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 11:33:09 pm »
Ok, I gotta ask, but what is the point of a multiple for Modular V other than authenticity?

In Modular V if you want to get multiple outputs out of a signal, you just can "magically" pull multiple cables out of the same output, in other words, it's not authentic, but every output can function like a multiple. Modular V does various things that aren't authentic but do make things definitely easier (such as the way it handles keyboard follows).

jeffbart

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:29:42 am »
I never thought about it that way ( the fact that outputs can have multiple destinations) but I see your point.
However, it doesn't work the other way around i.e. the inputs are still one-at-a-time - you can't put two different sources into one input. Unless you go via the mixer.
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
Arturia things

Tausendberg

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:47:01 pm »
you can't put two different sources into one input. Unless you go via the mixer.

1: Many modules have multiple inputs. For example, the low and high pass filter have three inputs. This is because the modules that have multiple inputs commonly have multiple inputs used.

2: It's actually really useful to have the mixer handle multiple signals going into a single input because you might want to have the signals affect the single input differently. For example, I have a patch where I have the VCA's amplitude modulated by keyboard follow and velocity. I set the VCA input and on the mixer I cut the velocity on its channel gain knob because I want the velocity to modulate less than the keyboard follow. Arturia would need to add a lot of additional programming to allow multiple connections per input and people might not even use it much because they wouldn't want both input variables to modulate the same exact amount. Meanwhile, if they do, then they'll just match the gain knobs. In other words, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

3: What's wrong with using the mixer? Maybe it's just my opinion but if I had to pick one favorite thing about Modular V it actually might be the mixer because the way you're able to combine things and affect things (every mixer channel has soft clip and inverse signal functionality) then it leads to really opening up possibilities. There's no problem, just use the mixer, embrace the mixer!

corum_beasley

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 04:58:56 pm »
I would love output level meters or some other indication that clipping is occurring or just before.

As for the multiples i can understand why it might be necessary. The feature i would most like is creating groups in the mixer section rather than linking or not linking, which could be a use for multiples.

Though saying that if you put your mind to it you can all sorts of different ways of doing things with this synth, but i have definitely had moments where i would need all the above.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines