March 28, 2024, 03:27:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: It is apparently possible to 'daisy chain' osc sync  (Read 1823 times)

Tausendberg

It is apparently possible to 'daisy chain' osc sync
« on: September 07, 2016, 12:38:11 pm »
Just wanted to report, I decided to do some experimentation by setting the oscillators to a really low frequency so that I could better understand what's happening and apparently, though you can't sync more than one oscillator to another directly, you can daisy chain additional oscillators in order to apparently indirectly sync the oscillator.

What exactly I mean is that I'll have, for example, three oscillators connected and I want osc 2 and 3 to sync to osc 1. I sync osc 2 to osc 1 but then I sync osc 3 to osc 2 and I according to an analysis I did with a waterfall spectrum meter, apparently this does end up forcing osc 3 to sync with oscillator 2 which will make it also sync to oscillator 1 and so all 3 oscillators are synced.

I haven't tried daisy chaining more oscillators but I assume it would work. Most importantly though, unless I am mistaken, this does give the user a workaround for Modular V's one oscillator sync per oscillator limitation.

I am including 2 images:

In the first image, if you hold up a ruler, you'll clearly see that at -33s, -25s, -17s, -9s, and -1s the waveforms that are at otherwise very different frequencies line up.

In the second image, in case anyone is curious, I included a screencap of the patch I used for this experiment.

LBH

Re: It is apparently possible to 'daisy chain' osc sync
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 09:52:17 pm »
In Reply #2 in this thread http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=88045.0 i write this:
"It's possible to sync in series like osc 2 to osc 1 and at the same time sync osc 3 to osc 2. But i don't think this is a "correct" posibility, and not sure if the sound results will not end in unwanted noise. However the different possible connections might also create interesting results at times."

What kind of results do you think you get? Noise - interesting - other?

Tausendberg

Re: It is apparently possible to 'daisy chain' osc sync
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 10:52:29 pm »
I definitely don't think I get noise or anything like that. It just does what it's supposed to, restart the oscillators at different points in order to synchronize the waveforms.

One thing that syncing oscillators up in sequence does is get consistency of behavior out of the tone. For example, I right now have three square waves slightly detuned from one another and I have an oscilloscope open and I can see as I play the different keys that I am getting consistent waveform behaviors on the same notes. I disconnect one or both of the oscillator syncs and the waveform depicted on the oscilloscope is constantly fluctuating.

In other words, I don't think I have a synthesizer that can oscillator sync multiple oscillators directly to one oscillator so I can't verify but I think that syncing the oscillators in sequence might have the same practical effect.

FYI, I mainly use oscillator sync so that I can essentially get unison detune with the vst set to either monophonic or polyphonic. Polyphonic tones with multiple oscillators slighly detuned from each other sometimes sound quite good.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2016, 11:01:32 pm by Tausendberg »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines