March 29, 2024, 01:48:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 1.4 Update....  (Read 15885 times)

holografique

Re: 1.4 Update....
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:20 pm »
ok, since I've apparently hurt someone's feelings here, I'll re-state my message in a more "positive" manner, so that we can all move forward and get along.

"It would be great to see Arturia possibly place higher priority on some of the other feature sets that have been recommended on this forum as well as place some priority in some of the advanced integration features that have been talked about in past posts.

With new products being released, it's difficult to know for sure if they will continue to keep the current Origin product developing forward in a timely manner that helps keep the product competitive and desired by the variety of different customers looking to use the product.

I love the Origin synth and enjoy using it in my studio and I hope to see that the product can continue to stay current and stay successful to see it mature even further."

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2011, 11:51:44 pm »
Few more lines about this (little off-topic) debate:

Personally I feel that Arturia is in fact doing much more than many bigger companies. Let's take Roland for example: they released their VERY expensive V-piano few years ago (was it 2009?) aand that time I was wondering to put my money to it or not. One thing which made me hesitate was my doubt that they won't develope this obvious prototypelevel thing. Fortunately I did not buy it cause I was quite right: Roland has given just a minor update (and also a new much much more expensive package, V-Piano Grand).

To say it clear, Origin isn't developing very fast but at least it is developing! Also, we got new soundbanks quite often (ok, they'rent all very useful or perfect but at least we got a feeling that something is happening). I just hope that things like MIPA award will make new interested people and keep those developers active.

I have also a feeling that attitudes about Origin are getting more positive in the internet in general. Magazines like Keyboard Mag are giving very good evaluations of it and it's kind of highest standard to measure many new products. I really appreciate my O and it still keeps my smiling every day...

Philippe

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »
Note that one of the new multi feature is precisely the ability to bind up to 4 parameters to any of the 8 screen encoders. This is what you are requesting? Is'nt it?

possibly! :) but it wasn't one of the features listed at the beginning of this post, was it? ;)

Right, it wasn't listed but it is part of our internal spec.

will this ability only be available in a multi or also for a program? I think it's needed for both.

I'm not the guy who writes the specification but I 've made such a suggestion already and the answer was:

"this can be done by creating a multi containing a single slot"

Which is true because you'll be able to bind any screen encoder to 4 parameters in any of the 4 slots.

At least me personally I desire it for programs as I really don't use the Origin as a multi-timbral synth and no real use for any of the multi related features. My focus use for Origin is a performance synth in the studio for that one "great" vintage sound that I need in whatever project I may be working on. I may use other sounds, but I'll just layer them into my DAW as needed.

When the multi was designed it had a dual role. First the role of a "classic" multi-timbral set. And second the role of a sound design tool to create new sounds. What has been implemented until now is more an answer to the first use case. The planned extension of the multi should provide the sound designer ways to better intricate the layers so that the multi as a whole can be perceived as one sound.

Lot of people have been requested new modules. This is planned. Again this is related to users requests.

can you provide us a full list of what these new modules we'll be? Most if the requests I've seen here have been around oscillator and filter modules, not control oriented modules (e.g. envelopes, etc.)

The list is not yet fixed, Currently candidates are:
- envelope follower
- a more flexible enveloppe where the curve is set by moving starting points of the env segments
- prophet V osc and filters

If you think to a module that is not into this list feel free to post your wishes here.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 04:50:07 pm by Philippe »
Origin Lead  Developer

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2011, 02:49:26 pm »
^ Well, firstly I do have some wishes for the Origin (wishlist posted here  ;)). While I welcome any new modules, two important features for me are:

* Selectable aux output pair for each of the four Out modules => main, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8. Enables quadraphonic and surround sounds, as well as more opportunities for external processing and mixing.

* Selectable outputs per part in the multi mixer - part, prog, 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 => "part" maps the part number to an output pair (like it is now), "prog" uses the program setting, and the rest is for free assignments.

Secondly, I'll take the opportunity to thank Arturia for continuing the development of the Origin as well as their dialogue with the users. And I fully understand why Arturia need to launch new products now and then - "Stopping the world" and only working on the Origin is of course not realistic. I'd rather have the updates taking some time than seeing Arturia breaking their backs over the Origin.

DJ
--

holografique

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2011, 04:12:42 pm »
If you think to a module that is not into this list feel free to post your wishes here.

here is my top list at the moment modules I've posted before that I would love to see:

1. your ARP2600V reverb module as an FX module. (such a great reverb with that instant 70's spooky analog vibe)

2. addition of low/hi cutoff and resonance control for the delay FX module. useful for simulating tape echo effects and more creative feedback effects.

3. Oberheim SEM and/or Xpander oscillator and filter modules

and thanks for the updates/response on the other areas, 1.4 looks like it's heating up to be a great update.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 05:26:53 pm by holografique »

rcmusic

• Beta-testers
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2011, 07:20:49 pm »
Phil,

Have you eventually discussed about the possibility to control effect parameters by midi message, and so by modulation sources?

Thanx

Jeruro

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:10 pm »
Philippe, my list of module priorities  :-*:

- 1. Prophet 5 OSC and Filter is a must.

- 2. SuperOSC (Based on Origin OSC) for trance designers:

- Selectable Number of Waveforms. (ej. 1-9 Saws, 1-9 Squares)
     - Detune.
     - Stereo spread.
     - Sub oscillator.

- 2. UNISON PRO:

- 2 to 32 selectable voices.
     - Detune.
     - Stereo spread.

And please, improve the reverb algorithm.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2011, 11:38:33 pm »
Still I'd like to see the day when software editor is available. This is probably my main priority.

There're many quite obvious reasons for that:

1. It's true that you can edit your presets quite fast (when you learn those knobs etc.) but imagine what could you do in 19 inch (or bigger) display and with mouse. Think about a typical drag-and-drop approach with those modules. It would be just much more effective way to experiment with all those things.

2. Templates: even MiniMg is quite complex to see and handle in Origins own screen. As I said earlier, Arturia already has their V-series visual templates which could maybe quite easily adapted to Origin software...?  

3. For some of us (myself included) it has not been possible to place Origin in a way that it's physically comfortable to edit. At the moment my hands get very tired when I use it for more than 10 minutes. I'd really like to edit it home with my computer.

4. I'd also add presetmanager to this editor software. So you could easily save/load those presets to your computer or to Origin hardware.

5. And of course there's a question of integrating these things to DAWs...

To sum it, Origin is a modern thing in digital world so IMO it should integrate very well to computer environment. If it does not do that, it's not very practical tool in modern studio. Personally I am using Origin desktop 50% at my home studio and 50% at live gigs, but I think I am not typical (real or potential) Origin desktop user (I admit that O-keyboard is a bit different). If I am right, most of desktop users are more music producer-type guys than live players.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 11:42:34 pm by JacksonP »

IAA

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
Prophet osc  & filter too
Arp or spring reverb, ( for completing Hammond clone)
Oberheim SEM.

Thanks in advance!

kidharpoon

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2011, 12:27:43 am »
Will the Template Lite feature allow you to customise the look in any way? or will they just be presets basically, placed in a new template section.

Pretty excited by the thought of this.

Ps. loving the argument between RCMusic and Holografique. Good work guys!

holografique

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2011, 02:09:11 am »
Ps. loving the argument between RCMusic and Holografique. Good work guys!

eh, ya know, gotta keep things interesting around here...:p

kidharpoon

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 01:25:50 pm »
Ok, so here's three things I'd love to see:

1) I don't tend to use the sequencer much, and it would be good if I could assign the knobs to parts of my synths instead of them just sitting there idle. This is a no-brainer for me if its possible, as I find myself always running out of assignable controls.

I could have extra oscillators, filters or envelopes ready to control, and it would really speed up my workflow on the Origin.

Also if you could assign a control that is default for any preset, I'd find that really useful. For example, 9 times out of 10 I boost the TAE in the program page, but its fiddly, and would be good if one of the assignables was just set to this by default whenever I load a patch.

2) I totally agree with JacksonP that a better visualization of the screen when the Software Editor drops would be most welcome.

I love the Jupiter 8 Temp, but its so fiddly, and I imagine the CS-80 will be the same. Be good just to see an overview of everything on a big screen. I am simple and need help.

If we could even make graphics for our custom Templates that would really bring this baby home for me. That would be incredible!

3) Lastly, I'd love to see some more modern options. Don't get me wrong, I am all for Oberheim and Prophet V modules, but I feel like I've got enough vintage in the Origin at the moment to get on with. A few more Origin own modern/digital options would be a big step forward for me. At the moment I use Camel Audio Alchemy or my Waldorf Blofeld for this kind of sound, and occasionally the Prophet Wavetable Osc (which is exceptional).

An audio sampling module to open up the sample based synthesis options maybe? Would take over from Alchemy for me.

Maybe even a module that lets you draw your own Wave shapes? I've got an ipad app that does that and its really interesting.

JacksonP

• Beta-testers
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:42 pm »
I am 100% sure that making software editor with maybe this drag-and-drop approach and nice visual templates (MiniM, JP8 and then CS-80) would be a great extra reason for putting over 2000 euros for this already fantastic synth.

And let's not forget that software editor (and computer integration in general) is not very rare thing: many Rolands (Gaia for example), Korgs (R3 for example) has it, even real analogs like DSI tetra has it. And those examples are much much lower price products. With Origin we are speaking about completely different league.

Origin has USB and it's obviously controllable via this USB. Arturia has all power and knowledge to make this kind of softwares. As said earlier, they even have their V-series to use in those visual templates.

So IMO it should not be that difficult. Now we aren't making anything inside the Origin, am I right?

tomoe97

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 09:35:56 pm »
I would still like to see the following improvements to the Step Sequencer:

1. Midi Out so that one can record the Step Sequencer's Midi data into a DAW for further manipulation, as well as drive other equipment simultaneously.

2. Force to Scale (helps one constrain the number of note choices when making adjustments to the sequence live).

3. Additional directions and modes: e.g., Random order, Brownian mode (2/3 probability forward, 1/3 probability backward), or more advanced Pendulum modes a la Reason or genoQs Octopus (e.g., forward from first step to last, then backward from second last step to first without repeated last/first step when reversing direction).

4. Keyboard entry of individual steps.

#1 is essential, #2-4 are helpful but not absolutely necessary improvements. Right now, the Step Sequencer is fun to play but without Midi Out, it's of limited usefulness in a studio setup because there's no way to further manipulate, adjust, or correct the notes of a sequence in one's DAW after recording.

kidharpoon

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 01:13:59 am »
Brownian mode sounds like a form of diahorrea

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines