March 29, 2024, 12:08:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A Concerning Video  (Read 2896 times)

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A Concerning Video
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
Hi!  :)
I just bought the DV7 V a few days ago.  I was looking through various Youtube videos on suggestions and came across this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZKIr0QVxEE
I was looking at some videos where they were programming custom sounds on a hardware version and there were a few I wanted to try to practice with but according to the above mentioned video, the frequency ratios are different.  The above video, starting at the 11:15 time mark, has the reviewer saying that the ratio conversions on the DV7V are quite confusing and if one wants to use the frequency settings to sound like the hardware version some mathematical conversions must be done.  I'm totally new to FM synthesis so I'm wondering what some more experienced users think.
This reviewer (Power DX7) has many tutorials on the DX7V and I'm planning on taking some of them in, but I'd just like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
 :)John B.

LBH

Re: A Concerning Video
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:59 pm »
Another one have posted this feature request: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92513.0#msg148308
Now i understand where the math come from.

I agree that perhaps the 0.00 can be seen as wrong compared to the real DX7. Perhaps it should be 000 only.
Yes the fact you can set the first ratio field to 0.5 and 0.25 can be confusing.

In generel you unfortunately can't exspect you can copy a setting from a original hardware synth and then get the same sound in a Arturia synth. I wish. But you'll often have to tweak the sound.

You can get the sounds very close to the original then.

I agree that we are missing the 0 (null) ratio for the DX7 V operators, even if it's a odd setting.

I have changed this post because i wrote something that in a way was wrong.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 01:10:47 am by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 01:14:42 am »
Back at my main computer. I was wrong sorry in my previous post, so i corrected it. Was acting to fast.

I had forgot how the DX7 Vs fine tune works. I believe it change an octave between the 0 and 100 value on all harmonics.
The fine tune should only fine tune the range between each harmonic depending on the used harmonic.

Arturia is this a malfunction or intended behavior?
For a true emulation it should work like the original on this point. FM tutorials can also not be used, when DX7 V fine tune work like it does now.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 04:27:39 am by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:04:46 am »
I think perhaps a conversion can be done using the following formular.

The harmonic + (DX7 harmonic decimal/ DX7 harmonic) = DX7 Vs Ratio setting.

We can use the example from the video: The DX7 ratio is 3.50. The harmonic is 3 and the fine tune decimals is 50.
Using the formular then it's 3 + (50/3) = 16.67. That mean the DX7 Vs ratio setting should be 3 + 16.67 (That's the same as the 2 + 75.0 setting on the DX7 V.)

A DX7 ratio at 4.888 would be 4 + (888/4) = 4 + 222 on the DX7 V. That's notet 4 + 22.20 on the DX7 V as it's raange go from 0-100, and using 4 decimals if one see or set the value under the operators detune parameter in the Oscilator section.

Check it out yourself.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines