March 28, 2024, 06:26:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can't get knobs and faders to work in Analog Lab 3 VST  (Read 9627 times)

ed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Can't get knobs and faders to work in Analog Lab 3 VST
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:18:05 pm »
Hi
I am running Analog Lab 3 as a VST instrument inside Reason 10.

When I use KeyLab Essential I can play the AL3 VSTi in Reason but I can't get the AL3 knobs and faders to map to the KeyLab.

The problem is with the VSTi I think and not with KeyLab since I can override the knobs and faders and use it with KeyLab.

What I do is set the Midi controller to default and try to MIDI learn from the KeyLab but it never picks up the knob movements.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

LBH

Re: Can't get knobs and faders to work in Analog Lab 3 VST
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:35:15 pm »
HI again Ed,

What I do is set the Midi controller to default and try to MIDI learn from the KeyLab but it never picks up the knob movements.
This works for me with my Novation Controller in my DAW Studio One 3 using VST3 64 bit version 3.0.2.1289. Are you moving the controllers all the range?
It also works when AL3 is in standalone mode here. Shall i understand your MIDI learn work with AL3 in stand alone mode?
Perhaps this is about how your controller and MCC is setup. Are you sure it's set up correct?

The problem is with the VSTi I think and not with KeyLab since I can override the knobs and faders and use it with KeyLab.
Does this mean, that MIDI learn does work, when you do something else? What settings are you using here?

Have you tried the things i suggested to look at in the other thread?
Have you search the different Arturia  controller and MCC forums , if there is any help there?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:37:16 pm by LBH »

This City Handmade

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • musikkemi - the alchemy of music
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 08:51:45 am »
I have the same problem with Analog Lab 3 VTS in reason 9.5.x. The controllers work fine in the stand alone app. They also work fine with the rack extension like Thor, Subtractor etc. It's just the in the VST the knobs and faders aren't working. I've tried with other synth VST's in Reason with the same negative result.

In Ableton the KeyLab controllers work with the VST without a hassle and also works perfectly well in ProTools.

I suspect that the Propellerhead Reason VST wrapper is the fault here. I've posted a inquiry to the Propellerhead support and I'll keep you in the loop if I get an answer.

Cheers,
Kristo.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 02:32:37 pm »
Thanks for the info This City Handmade.
Reason have'nt had VST support that long. It's does look like it has something to do with the interaction between Reason VST and the controller.
To narrow it down. Does MIDI learn like this work with other VSTs in Reason?

I've found this about how to work with VSTs in Reason: https://www.propellerheads.se/blog/reason-95-is-here-VST-in-reason
Look at around 5:40. It work in with "Remote" surface. I don't know if this is what Ed mean he don't wan't to do. But i look like that's the way to do it in Reason.

It's the same in this tutorial at 2:25: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1UhDHcZ_9A

This City Handmade

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 04:05:23 pm »
Yep, that's the way I got it to work by using the "remote recording" feature in the VST wrapper. It's a bit of tedious as a workaround but will do fine and is fully functioning. You do this once and I also saved my workplace as a new startup template. It also works when recording so it picks up the controllers.

This is how you fix it:
1. Press the "Remote" button in the VST window.

2. Click a control (e.g. the Cut off)
3. Turn the corresponding knob (or push th slider etc) on your Keylab
4. Repeat for every parameter... this is the tedious part but you do this once and then you're set.

Now you are set to go full throttle and also record parameters on Analog Lab with Keylab in Reason!

Cheers,
Kristo.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:22:57 pm by This City Handmade »

This City Handmade

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:25:11 pm »
Short update. I received an answer from the Propellerheads Reason Support. The way to fix this is either to do it manually as we already done. Or to alter the remotemap-file for the Keylab. It's up to the manufacturers to do this. Arturia hasn't updated the mapping since Reason 6 and there were no VST support then...

So if we kindly ask Arturia to update the mapping files we could get this to work out-of-the box anf be happy and creative ever after.

Here's my request, please up vote it if you agree with it.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92466.msg148049#msg148049

Cheers,
Kristo.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:39:18 pm by This City Handmade »

LBH

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:32:25 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Is'nt it just the same kind of mapping as shown in the videos anyway?
Can't you allready make a mapping like this yourself in Arturia MCC as i in another thread have suggested Ed to look at?
Is'nt the difference only if it's pre-mapped from a manufactor or not? I think so. Am i wrong?
Arturia does'nt pre-map the applications for my Novation automap either.

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 10:36:50 pm by LBH »

ed

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 05:40:12 pm »
Hi LBH

No, it doesn't work creating mappings in MCC for this particular problem. I spent ages trying. The problem is that you never know what the VSTi in Reason expects.

Kristo's solution from Propellerheads is the best way to go I think. Because if you try to learn using the VST remote button, then each of your template projects has to include AL3 as a VSTi just in case you might want to use it. Also, I don't think the remote 'learn' mappings would work for more than one instance of AL3 as a VSTi in Reason. You'd have to learn each knob and slider for EVERY instance :(

egononega

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 09:44:06 pm »
I added this on the end of Keylab49.remotemap and seems to work. Not fully tested yet:
Watch out for the proper tabs in the lines.

Scope   Arturia   vst.Ala2.Analog Lab 3_device
//   Control Surface Item   Key   Remotable Item   Scale   Mode
// Line 729
Map   volume      P1 General Level
Map   cut      P1 CutOff
Map   reso      P1 Emphasis
Map   lforate      P1 Lfo Rate
Map   lfoamt      P1 Amount Mod1
Map   chorus      P1 Chorus Dry/Wet

Map   param1      P1 Level Osc1
Map   param2      P1 Level Osc2
Map   param3      P1 Level Osc3