March 28, 2024, 09:40:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keep Full Velocity On?  (Read 3579 times)

benjaminfrog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Keep Full Velocity On?
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:05:56 am »
Is there a way to keep Full Velocity on when switching between presets?

LBH

Re: Keep Full Velocity On?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 02:45:28 pm »
No.

The velocity setting is stored with the preset as part of the sounddesign. They are designed to use for a modern full range velocity keyboard.

Original sounds will not sound right on full velocity setting, if you use a full range velocity keyboard.
But if you use the original DX7 keyboard, then the sounds using DX7 velocity should be set to full velocity to sound like the original.

No matter your reasons, then you have to change velocity setting manually, and then store a preset with the new setting, if you wan't to keep that setting.

JX3D

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:32:13 pm »
I have only heard critics about this setting, and I know quite a lot musicians.
To all of them the plugin sounds dull when browsing the presets because of this.

I think there should be an option to set it to one of these values:
  • Default to full
  • Default to DX7
  • Default by preset

You may have different opinons about this, but you should listen to the users.

Thanks for you great work.

Henrik J. Larsen

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 08:26:29 pm »
I have only heard critics about this setting, and I know quite a lot musicians.
To all of them the plugin sounds dull when browsing the presets because of this.

I think there should be an option to set it to one of these values:
  • Default to full
  • Default to DX7
  • Default by preset

You may have different opinons about this, but you should listen to the users.

Thanks for you great work.

Henrik J. Larsen
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

I suggest you make a feature request for this in DX7 V feature request forum. Could be fine to have the options you suggest. Also as Arturia in the manual suggest you experiment with different settings.

Have you seen the video that i have posted here: https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92048.0#msg146599 - where the original DX7 with none full velocity range is used as controller, and therefor the DX7 V velocity is set to full range? It should be like having a full velocity range keyboard and the DX7 V set to DX7 velocity. Your controllers velocity has an impact on the sound.
What's wrong with the DX7 V sound in the video?

When i set the a original preset to Full Range velocity, then the sound can be to bright or harsh using my full range 128 step velocity controller. Sometimes i agree changing the velocity give something to the sound that may sound better. Many sounds sound the same on both settings, depending on how velocity affect the sound, but that don't have to mean it's sounding like the original then.

How have you and your friends tested? To which sounds do you compare?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:17:33 am by LBH »

JX3D

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:35:03 pm »
I suggest you make a feature request for this in DX7 V feature request forum
Done

Have you seen the video...
Yes and in the video it is set to full velocity as I want it to be as default (to me). Many presets usualy sets itself to DX7.
Therefor there is nothing wrong with the sounds in the video, as it is set to full velocity.
I have downloaded 100s of banks from the net, and all of them (I think) startup with DX7 selected.

Here is a video where John Lemkuhl (PluginGuru) mentions it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2bQQyHPqk&t=1h30m40s

Well as said, I have made a feature request now. So thank you for your kind reply  ;)

LBH

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 01:55:29 am »
Good you have posted a feature request.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you seen the video...
Yes and in the video it is set to full velocity as I want it to be as default (to me). Many presets usualy sets itself to DX7.
Therefor there is nothing wrong with the sounds in the video, as it is set to full velocity.
I have downloaded 100s of banks from the net, and all of them (I think) startup with DX7 selected.
Please read my previous post about the velocity setting is set to Full in the video i posted because he uses a DX7 as a controller. A DX7s velocity range was only 1-100. So if it in that test used the DX7 setting, then it would be wrong, but the DX7 setting is correct when using a full range 0-127 velocity controller, like i explained.
Also please read section 3.3.1.1 in DX7 Vs manual too about this topic.

Here is a video where John Lemkuhl (PluginGuru) mentions it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2bQQyHPqk&t=1h30m40s
Lemkuhl does not compare to the original sounds in the video you posted. And if you listen, then you hear the softness in that piano sound vanish, when he set the velocity setting to Full.
You can hear the original sounds played on a real DX7 here: http://www.synthmania.com/dx7.htm
The sound Lemkuhl use is 11  E.Piano 1 and you can hear it here: http://www.synthmania.com/Yamaha%20DX7/Audio/INT/INT11%20E.PIANO%201.mp3
The sound is wrong when Lemkuhl change the setting to Full velocity. It's very close to the original sound before he change the velocity setting to Full, and that's because he uses a modern 0-127 velocity range controller.
I have learned some things once from Lemkuhls videos, but imho this is a bummer from him.

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZRZfIA8rF4 you can hear what happens when you use a DX7 as controller, and having the DX7 V velocity set to DX7. That's wrong, and thats why the video i posted by the same tester is right. Compare that to when you play a 0-127 velocity controller having DX7 V set to DX7 velocity.
And then try to set your controller to a 100 velocity if you can (I'm not sure it can be calculated like this, but something like that will show what's going on), while having the DX7 V set to DX7 velocity. That will sound like in this wrong test.

In case the Velocity setting in DX7 V needs to be set to Full when using a 0-127 velocity controller to have the original sounds to sound like the original DX7 (Or catch the essense), then Arturia have made a bummer. But if so, then what sounds is that?

I'm not claming Arturias sounds is just like the originals. Some are closer than others. And as said, then i can also like some original sounds better on the Full velocity setting, at least in some cases, but that's not the same as it's correct.

How have you and your friends tested? Have you compared to a original DX7?
How is your controller velocity, and your DX7 V velocity?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 03:19:30 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines