March 28, 2024, 01:44:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: a few questions about iSpark and the Spark LE controller  (Read 8302 times)

fmq75

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
a few questions about iSpark and the Spark LE controller
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:55:18 pm »
hey there,

iSpark was a really neat surprise and i'm REALLY tempted to buy Spark LE now just (or mainly) for
the controller.Nice move from arturia ;)

But first i have a few questions to people who might use both together now:

1.How demanding is the controller to the iPads battery?Does it make a noticeable difference (as there are a lot of blinken lights)

2.i saw that you can adjust the knob behavior (accelaration etc) in the desktop editor but is it saved into the hardware?I'm asking because i don't like arturias default knob behavior (turning a knob multiple times to reach a certain value)

3.i know that i can use an external audio interface (like my Roland Duo Capture EX)together with a midi controller if i use a (powered) USB hub...does it work with iSpark and the LE controller as well?Anybody tested?

4.i've read that you can remap the knobs functions if you push"select"on the hardware and turn a knob.That's at least possible with the desktop software but is it possible in iSpark as well?

thanks in advance!

oopsi

Re: a few questions about iSpark and the Spark LE controller
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 09:27:58 am »
Hi fmq75 I will try my best to answer your queries

1. On an air 2 running ispark with ableton link which itself requires wifi to be on, connected to the spark LE I had a 3+ hour session going. I wasn't in attendance the whole time as I was checking for sync drift. I cannot remember if the ipad was at full charge but even so if switched into airplane mode that 3+ hours time could increase.   

2. Knob behaviour is managed in separate software Midi Control Center and then uploaded to device.

3. Not sure but SparkLE is usb class compliant and able to be buss powered.

4. Certainly is!   

fmq75

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:44 am »
Hi Oopsi,

thanks a lot,that was helpful indeed (Air 2 here as well).I'm also planning to use it with ableton link,i can see myself even playing live again,thanks to iSpark+LE controller (combined with some other stuff).

In the meantime i've read (in reviews,not in any manual unfortunately)that there are more functions available on the controller via select button,like accent (select+step12) or switching between the pages of the (desktop) software via "select+step 1...8".Did you try if this combinations work on iSpark as well?

One mo thing:am i missing something regarding the "virtual analog (TAE)" sounds?All i can see in iSpark is sample based.I know they did not include the physical modeling stuff (how do you load spark kits into iSpark in this case?) but (some) TAE stuff should be there...?

oopsi

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 08:21:03 pm »
Hey no problem 8)

Have you checked out the cool videos uploaded by Synth Anatomy on YouTube? Seven in total that cover many aspects of ispark with video seven covering sparkLE specifically.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=asnnOAPGNTs

Regarding the loading of modular/tae ispark can load and play these projects and still provides the macro manipulations that have been set-up in the spark 2 but editing of modular environment is not possible.

However loading of spark 2 projects in ispark is not working so well but can be done see my second post here:

http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87003.0
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:27:24 pm by oopsi »

fmq75

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:42:02 pm »
yep,i've seen the tutorial video no7 today (the one with Spark LE).And that sold it to me now :) Gonna get Spark LE by the end of the week.

Rolf from Tempo Rubato (who ported iSpark) mentioned over at Audiobus forum that arturia is already working on a Spark update that (hopefully) solves the issues with transfering kits/projects etc.

The modular GUI"might"come later to iSpark as well.Depends on how well it sells...it's a lot of (interface)rework necessary to make it usable on iPad.

oopsi

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:45:33 pm »
Good for you! It really is the nicest drum machine interface going desktop or iOS and certainly the most powerful/flexible on iOS. 
I would like the modular environment improved on spark 2 first before any port takes place though!

fmq75

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 05:06:06 pm »
i bought it now and i'm seriously blown away.The controller works even better than expected.Just EVERYTHING works,as you said:all "select+..." functions are there but even better:also accent or shifting and doubling single steps with "step button+move/divide".A bit similar to the 909 Flam function.Awesome!I even couldn't find this function in the app itself (but it must be somehwere for sure...)

Also the sync is great,it's the best IAA sync i've experienced yet.No problems in Auria or in AUM together with Gadget in sync.

It's a very impressive 1.x version and the controller integration couldn't be better.

Now i'll have an eye on it how much it drains the battery.It's a serious (but good looking) lightshow :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:07:42 pm by fmq75 »

fmq75

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2016, 01:51:06 am »
I also stumbled over your annoying bug(s) now and i would like to add:great that you can import folders via itunes file sharing but it definitely needs a way that i can import my (hundreds,if not over 1k) sample at once (or at least make multiple selections) into the iSpark browser now (so i can finally load them via controller) Importing then "one by one" onto pads and save them as a project,to make them accessable,is not very practical.I also don't want to create dozens of"zombie projects"now just to make them available in the browser.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines