April 29, 2024, 12:32:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro Timing Help  (Read 7655 times)

handsfree

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro Timing Help
« on: December 02, 2015, 11:33:42 pm »
For some reason...my Arturia BSP, after having been off for the past few days, is now completely out of sync with Cubase.

The tempo jumps all over and it does not stop and start on time.

I ran a test with my maschine studio running native in cubase and the beatstep controlling my juno 106, my moog sub 37, and my tanzbar for drums.

Everything that was being controlled with the beatstep was off time.

All 3 channels were also off time from each other.

I put in a support ticket yesterday...but it has yet to be answered.

Does anyone know a fix for this?

Mowgli

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Beatstep Pro Timing Help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 03:13:18 pm »
It looks like everyone's having similar problems yet there are no answers.  >:(

DJRickDawson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:18:49 pm »
im having the same problems in ableton.

rumschreubler

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:02:04 pm »
im having the same problems in ableton.

Same here.

Zymos

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 05:34:13 pm »
It's been working great for me slaved to Live by USB since if first got it months ago.

playtolive

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 04:05:08 pm »
It's been working great for me slaved to Live by USB since if first got it months ago.

Can you take screen grabs of youre settings in ableton for input and output and any delay settings youve changed.  Im assuming youre running Ableton as master, so the BSP is set to USB.  The BSP receives clock over USB from ableton etc.  Then you arm a track with a synthesizer and voila everything is in time?  How about when you record incoming midi to a clip?  Is everything in sync when you look at the clip?  Did you change any delay settings for the incoming midi data in Abletons inoput setting for the BSP?  You might have it working but ALLOT of people dont.

thx

faster

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:18:23 am »
I have serious timing problems in iOS on iPad.
To duplicate load iElectibe, clear its sequencer and put 4 kicks in BSP.
Run BSP and hit record in iElectribe.
See what gets recorded. In my case it's 1...5...9...13... and then I get 1..4,5..8,9..12,13..16 doubled kick!!?
So something is going out of time here....
IElectribe is slaved.

Zymos

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:31:26 pm »

Can you take screen grabs of youre settings in ableton for input and output and any delay settings youve changed.  Im assuming youre running Ableton as master, so the BSP is set to USB.  The BSP receives clock over USB from ableton etc.  Then you arm a track with a synthesizer and voila everything is in time?  How about when you record incoming midi to a clip?  Is everything in sync when you look at the clip?  Did you change any delay settings for the incoming midi data in Abletons inoput setting for the BSP?  You might have it working but ALLOT of people k

thx

I'm not recording anything in Live, or even using any VSTs- Live is just a handy way to route MIDI between all my hardware, and a master clock for it all. But the timing of everything is in perfect sync between what I'm controlling from the BSP and what I am just clocking from Live.
    You are going to have to nudge tracks if you record, but that's the case whenever you have anything with any latency- as I've said before, that is not a sync issue.

handsfree

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 03:28:08 am »
Here's the thing...Zymos.

My latency is 6ms. And the BSP records in at almost a half beat off time. But when i record in direct from my gear, it's perfectly synced.

I cannot control my tanzbar drum machine with the BSP because the timing drifts so badly it ends up sounding like a trainwreck.

Stop trying to be a wise ass when Arturia has already acknowledged that there are problems.

rumschreubler

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 11:18:39 am »
...when Arturia has already acknowledged that there are problems.

Did they? As I read there exists an open ticket that was placed by Handsfree. But there was no reaction from Arturias side up to now.

it would be interesting to here form Arturia wether
- it just needs some adjustment in the configuration(either in Ableton, BSP or both)
- ists a software bug than can be fixed within a reasenable amount of time
- its a hardwareproblem which does not allow tighter syncing.

I upgraded to BSP from the small beatstep. With the Beatstep i did not have these problems. Timing was tight with ableton.

Zymos

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 03:57:25 pm »
Here's the thing...Zymos.

My latency is 6ms. And the BSP records in at almost a half beat off time. But when i record in direct from my gear, it's perfectly synced.

I cannot control my tanzbar drum machine with the BSP because the timing drifts so badly it ends up sounding like a trainwreck.

Stop trying to be a wise ass when Arturia has already acknowledged that there are problems.

I'm not being a wise ass, just telling you what my experiences have been. Not going to waste anymore time on you though...

handsfree

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 04:31:22 pm »
Good...If I wanted to know about your experience I wold have posted "Hi, is anyone's beatstep working perfectly? If so, can you please post multiple times about the problems you aren't having?"

Mowgli

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 04:05:04 pm »
So far the only way I've managed to sync the BSP to my rhythm wolf is by using Ableton as the master clock and adjusting the latency for the Rhythm Wolf. Even when doing this it drifts...  What I originally wanted was to have a hardware only set up with the BSP as the control center, which incidentally it is how they market it, but it's just not possible. I've tried MIDI and gate in both directions to no avail. I would've thought that sync was an IMPORTANT aspect of something like the BSP but apparently that's not the case.
I'd be curious to know if anyone has managed to use the gate at all.

k.rad

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 05:56:00 pm »
Before the BSP came out i tried to manage a sync connection between VolcaBeats and a Rhythm Wolf in a hardware only setup
It didnīt went well because the Rhythm Wolf wasnīt able to catch the timing accurate enough.
Maybe in your case the R.Wolf is the problem. too?
(Because syncing my Brutes with the Volcabeats was no problem back then)

smutek

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:04 am »
Hey everyone, I've been meaning to sign up to say "me too". I'm having the same issue with my BSP. Firmware 1.3.023 Everything is cool if I'm just running external gear, and not trying to record midi into Ableton.

I'm wondering if this might be an Ableton issue.

For example, I've got the BSP in USB sync mode, slaved to Ableton. When I record a simple 4/4 into a midi clip in Ableton, the resulting notes are pretty far off, by about half a note.

Nothing I can do, with regards to latency adjustment, seems to help.

On the other hand, I just tried recording the same thing in to Logic and the results are much better. Check out the screenshots below -

Here's a simple 1 bar 4/4, with a kick on 1 and a hat on 3, recorded into Ableton. No quantize, no latency adjustment -

Zoom of the same, it's just way off -

Here's the same sequence, recorded into Logic Pro X, no quantize, no latency adjustment -

Zoom -

There's some latency there but I'd guess this is within an acceptable range. It's really like night and day and kind of makes me think there's something screwy with Ableton here, maybe not so much with the BSP?

Let me know if there's any additional info I can provide, or testing I can do, etc.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:36:50 am by smutek »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines