March 28, 2024, 04:16:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Duplicated .vst and .vst3 files on macOS for all Arturia synths  (Read 1059 times)

dmitry-kabanov

Hi,

I am using Macbook with 512 GB and thus systematically need to go and clean disk space.
I have noticed that Arturia's (/Library/Arturia) takes significant amount of space with V Collection and Pigments installed (28 GB).
I have noticed also that each synth has duplicated .vst and .vst3 files. each file is in /Library/Arturia and `/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST` (VST3). These files take significant amount of space: for example, Pigments VST files take 75MB each. So I have two suggestions:

Is it possible to update the synths such that they use .vst and .vst3 files from /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins?
It is possible to make installation of .vst (VST 2) files optional? There is no need for these files for me at all, as I use Cubase Elements 12, and it supports only VST3.

P. S. I am not sure if this is the right forum for this, but hopefully, developers are reading this forum.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Duplicated .vst and .vst3 files on macOS for all Arturia synths
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 09:25:01 am »
First of all just to manage your expectation this is a users' community, and Arturia devs only very rarely comment here, but they have definitely been known to take on board suggestions.

I don't think it would be possible for the standalone versions in the Arturia subfolder to make use of the resources in Plugins folder. Even if they could, there's a 1 in 4 chance they would need to use one of the versions you don't want installed, such as the AU version which is really only of use to GarageBand and Logic users, so duplication is still almost unavoidable.

Thankfully it's an easy task to manually go into the Library and delete the versions you don't personally need installed by highlighting them and deleting them. I guess technically you could delete the resources for the standalone versions in the Arturia subfolder, if you don't ever plan to use the synths standalone, but I haven't tried and I wouldn't recommend it.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

LBH

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 04:07:54 pm »
Hello,

I'm on Windows. Last time i used a seperate installer it was possible to make some selections on wahich formats to install. I've no idea, if those choices are respected, if updating via ASC afterwards.
But the choices should imo also be available in ASC. Also even if there is'nt a huge amount of disc space to save. A single sample library for some samplers can take much more space than can be save not installing the plugin formats you don't want or need.
Having the choices in ASC have been wished for.

The problem with manually removing anything is, it has to be done after each update. The deleted formats will be installed i believe. So the disc space is needed anyway.

dmitry-kabanov

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 02:19:50 pm »
On macOS, Arturia Software Center does not give an option to not install VST/AAX. At least, I do not see this option.

What I actually found, is that one can move /Library/Arturia folder (the folder, in which standalone synths are installed). I have moved it today to the external drive, and it works! Each synth asks now full-disk access, but after that everything works smoothly.

Yeah, removing manually after each update is too much hassle, I think.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines