March 29, 2024, 12:52:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Let the “HOLD” key be assigned to the midi controller  (Read 4583 times)

fredmant

• Apprentice
Let the “HOLD” key be assigned to the midi controller
« on: December 11, 2021, 03:42:43 pm »
I would like to assign the "Hold" button to a button on my Arturia KeyLabMk2 keyboard so I can quickly turn hold on and off while playing. However, when I go into the Midi Learn section, the button is not highlighted in purple or red so it cannot be picked. This would be very useful. Please see attachment for additional clarity. update, it's not letting me post with the attachment it may be too big so i made a smaller one)

LBH

Re: Let the “HOLD” key be assigned to the midi controller
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 04:08:16 pm »
Hi,

Let a button on your midi Controller send on Midi CC64. That should work without any further assignments.

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 12:19:00 pm »
Hi LBH, the Sustain pedal function doesn't appear as one of the "controls" you can add. I can just press the sustain pedal, but that becomes tiresome. I was looking for a way to assign it to a KeyLab2 button for quick on and off when needed.

I think you were suggesting that I modify the User Option of the Midi Keyboard in the Arturia Midi Control center, and that works great, but then it's universal, at least it's universal for that User setting on the KeyLab2. For now that's what I'm doing! Thanks for clearing a log jam. I just wish something as simple as this could be added universally to all the control lists for the Arturia plugins.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 05:20:20 pm »
Hi fredmant,

I just tell what's possible now.
I'm for being able to control the HOLD button seperate from the HOLD/ Sustain pedals midi CC.

I'm not sure it's as simple to change, so you can assign your own midi CC. Perhaps it also will change the midi CC for the sustain pedal to work then. (In Arturias applications midi CC 64 is reserved.)
But i guess it perhaps could be rather easy to be able to assign a Macro control to the HOLD button.
We have to see if Arturia change this. Perhaps they wont or can't. And then my suggestion is the way to go.

You have quite many buttons/ controls availble.
You also have multiple User templates as you say. So will it be very difficult to change User templates?
FYI: I don't have a Arturia controller.

But you might have a possiblity to convert a incomming midi CC to another. Eg i think some DAWs/ Hosts have a feature to do this. That perhaps can help you. But you will still have to change this, unless you wan't this convertion all the time

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 09:27:03 pm »
Thank you LBH! I like the way you think :)
Putting it on the user template is actually a good idea. The actual sustain pedals still works that way without it being re-assigned automatically (Arturia won't allow you to assign a CC to more than one physical control). Using the Midi Control Center is the way around it.

I really love the Arturia keyboard's feel and responsiveness Have you tried them?

Fred

LBH

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2021, 12:29:26 am »
I really love the Arturia keyboard's feel and responsiveness Have you tried them?
Thanks fredmant,

No i have'nt tried an Arturia controller enough to say anything about how it is to play.

I think i in example would like it to have a Aftertouch delay parameter, so Aftertouch at initial keypress easily can be avoided by setting a delay time before the Aftertouch kick in.
The feel of control off the Velocity and Aftertouch is for me important. But i don't know how it is on a Keylab MK2 or other Arturia controllers.

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2021, 11:44:47 am »
Hi LBH,
The KeyLabMk2 is supposed to have aftertouch. It can be enabled and controlled with a min/max setting on the Midi Control Center, but I find it doesn't seem to work frequently. For instance, on the CS80, Preset Africa, I set the VCO2 Frequency on the advanced panel to AfterTouch. Nothing happens though when I press harder. If I switch VCO2 Freq to be controlled by the Expression pedal it does.
I'm not sure what's up with that so I'll keep researching.

In the meantime, my choice of the first button for Sustain in the user setting of the Keylab2 I'm using is a good one. For instance, on the CS80, they discuss how to adjust sustain and have already set the length of the sustain (not the on/off, the length) to the first infinite rotary knob, so that lines up. Serendipity.

Fred

LBH

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 09:57:47 pm »
Hi fredmant,

yes - I believe the Arturia Keylab is a good controller. It's one i will consider, if i shall buy a controller. Also even if it does'nt have the delay parameter for the aftertouch, that i mentioned.

The CS-80 has a rather speciel Sustain pedal functionality. Just like the original, so that's fine.
And actually you can assign a midi cc using midi learn for the CS-80 arpeggiators HOLD buttton.

The CS-80 preset you mention is set up as a MULTI preset. It has 2 different sound settings assigned. The selected sound is what you work on.
When you use the Expression pedal, then you actually also only change the pitch for the selected single patch sound. You can hear this, if you switch off the arpeggiator, and then play one single note after another. Only the pitch of each second note is affected, - unless you also add a modulation for the second sound.
When you use the Aftertouch, then you might need to use more modulation slot's to get an effect. This will multiply the effect. To me that's not good. The arpeggiators retriggering of the notes have an impact as the aftertouch in a way get released for each note, and that's a differnce from using the expression pedal.
Actually i hope Arturia will launch a new CS-80. I don't think the CS-80 work and sound as well as it should and could. I don't like to work much with it as it is, and that's a shame because i really would like too. Just too many things that don't work well or even is a bug.

We are far out off topic. It's best to have seperate threads for different topics.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 10:16:29 pm by LBH »

HDGMax

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 05:39:54 pm »
So far no solution from Arturia to map the Hold button by using the midi learn button in the V8 collection synth :(

LBH

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2023, 08:43:12 pm »
So far no solution from Arturia to map the Hold button by using the midi learn button in the V8 collection synth :(
Hello,

Please read reply #1 in this thread.
I very much doubt you will get other options as the HOLD button and the Sustain pedal  control the same parameter and a parameter can't have two different midi CC's applied at the same time. Because of that and as long as this is the case, then if you could midi learn another midi CC to the HOLD, then it would no longer respond to the normal Sustain pedal midi CC#64.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 08:45:35 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines