March 28, 2024, 10:00:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Upgrade From Older Versions  (Read 2421 times)

ADUS

• Apprentice
Upgrade From Older Versions
« on: November 27, 2021, 04:26:56 am »
I believe I have version 2 of ARP2600, Jupiter, Minimoog, etc...   if I buy the newest versions, what happens to the projects I have in process in my DAW?  Will I be able to move the presets from these old versions to the current version?  Thank You

JDoo

• Beta-testers
Re: Upgrade From Older Versions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 05:48:05 am »
Yes - your old presets stick around.  They are tied to the old versions of the instruments, which also stick around.  Your DAW is referencing the old AU/VST versions of the instruments - so that all works.  You shouldnt have to re-do any existing compositions, unless you want to re-do them with the new instruments.

Where you will hit the wall potentially - is with the presets.  You will have to manually convert your saved presets to the newer version of the instruments.  In some cases *cough* Jup-8... you may have to completely re-do the presets, because functionality has been dropped (splits and layers dont exist in the Jup-8 V4 - but you can simulate that, by instead re-writing the preset in Analog Lab??).  To your question -- moving presets from the old versions to the new is a manual process, that isn't necessarily cut-n-dry nor easy (otherwise Arturia would have provided a converter, and converted all the existing factory patches to the new versions ... which they didnt.

So... imo.  The upgraded instruments are a huge step up.  Im keeping most of my old Logic Pro projects, and re-doing a few, to take advantage of the better timbres in some of the new instruments.  There really is a noticable change (for the better) in the timbres.  Well worth re-doing a few channel strips.

ADUS

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 09:02:11 am »
Thank you so much for the reply.  Oh one more question about this.   

I am planning on buying a new computer so it will be a new Windows 10 install and all that.  Would I need to install my version 2 Arturia plugins?   If I installed the new V8 collection, would it just load up the newest versions of the synths (ARP2600, Moog, Jupiter, etc...)?  Is it smart enough to know that the project once had an older version of an Arturia plugin and also try to load the patch I have set?  Or will my DAW simply say "this synth is not installed"?

Thank You!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 02:16:30 pm »
will my DAW simply say "this synth is not installed"?

First of all it's worth bearing in mind that when you install updated V Collection instruments the old ones are not automatically deleted unless it is just a '.dot' update. You will only get that message should you choose to uninstall the old versions. I would suggest you install the old versions as well on your build.

I have a few older projects I created in V Collection 4 which I've had to re-work because for example they used the original version of Mini V which has been replaced, and because I no longer have V Collection 4 installed on my computer I get an error message like that.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

ADUS

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 04:52:47 pm »
Sure I understand that, but what if I am starting with a brand new computer?  Let's say I only installed V Collection 8...  will my projects with version 2.5 of the synths point to the new versions?  or are they seen as completely new entities? 

I want to know if I will need to install the old versions to recover tracks in progress using them or will Arturia be smart enough to know "OH, this track used ARP 2600 ver 2.5 so lets just use the new one we have now". 

THANK YOU!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines