April 27, 2024, 07:13:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Unresponsive keys on a new Keylab 61 MKII  (Read 3263 times)

Elado

Unresponsive keys on a new Keylab 61 MKII
« on: November 24, 2021, 03:50:57 pm »
Hi. I got my brand new Keylab 61 MKII last night and there seems to be a problem with some of the keys on the 4th octave : when I strike them softly, they don't always make a sound.

The problem seems to occur regardless of the software I'm using (so far I've tried Cubase, Kontakt, Piano V2 and Analog Lab 4 and V), and regardless of which virtual instrument I choose or which velocity curve I set in my VST.

The keyboard is connected directly to my laptop via a USB 3.0 port (no hubs).  I have downloaded all software and firmware updates for both the Arturia Software Center (1.13.5.1) and the MIDI Control Center (1.3.1), but the problem persists, so I think it may be a hardware defect.

What can I do?

I made a video demonstrating the problem here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUh7Ai9a6JY

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Unresponsive keys on a new Keylab 61 MKII
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 02:13:36 pm »
Welcome.

Sorry I can't see the video it is banned on my office network from where I am typing this. However from your description it sounds like your keybed could be faulty. Best course of action IMO is email the seller and explain you are going to return it for an exchange.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Elado

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 05:10:32 am »
Thank you. I've contacted both Arturia and the seller, who had me run some tests, and confirmed that is indeed the case. Both were very responsive and tried to help, but the best solution they could offer me was to ship the keyboard back and once it arrives they will either repair it or send me a new one, but these options will take weeks, possibly a month. I can't afford to wait that long so I just went ahead and bought a new identical unit from a more expensive seller AND on top of the days lost and time spent dealing with the problem I still have the hassle of sending back the faulty one so I could be refunded. So frustrating...

Xyllo

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 10:14:24 pm »
It seems like I'm having the same problem with my new Keylab MKII 61. But only through my Analog-V-plug-in in Ableton (11), not when I use the Analog V-app direct from my computer.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 09:12:17 am »
It seems like I'm having the same problem with my new Keylab MKII 61. But only through my Analog-V-plug-in in Ableton (11), not when I use the Analog V-app direct from my computer.
When you say "the same problem" you mean some of the keys don't work, but only in Ableton? I don't think that's possible.

This is why it's better starting your own thread rather than hijacking someone else's.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

HBIII

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 07:46:43 pm »
I just bought a brand new keylab 61 and both the c1 and e1 keys are broken and don't work at all ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hp52i1hbg2zajk/IMG_0287.MOV?dl=0 ). And a few others around that area have very bad velocity sensitivity and I have to press them multiple times just to get a low velocity out of them. Part of arturias quality control should at least be making sure that every key works. Very disappointed. I hear that this is the same keybed used on the matrixbrute etc... I know what I won't be buying any time in the future. Sorry to hear about another keylab with bad keys, maybe there is bad batch going around due to different components being used because of part shortages or something, I have noticed a lot of this kind of stuff happening lately.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 07:52:18 pm by HBIII »

aurban

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 09:13:45 am »
Oh, funny that! I've just posted a very similar post, as that exactly happened to me after unboxing.  Mine is the 61 key version as well.
I agree that nothing is more frustrating than having to send it back when it really wasn't my fault to receive this faulty model in the first place.
Is there no quality control before items are paccked?
I was impressed to note that there was even cushioning under the keys when unboxing it all.
But come on.  A simple playing of scales on this keyboard would have quickly revealed that fault.
So where to from here?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 10:18:32 am »
They probably test a percentage. You actually expect them to test every single one that comes off the production line? Don't be ridiculous.
So where to from here?
Return it for an exchange, obviously.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:21:35 am by MajorFubar »

HBIII

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 05:33:08 pm »
They probably test a percentage. You actually expect them to test every single one that comes off the production line? Don't be ridiculous.

When I was working in manufacturing we tested every function on every single unit. And not ony that everything was functioning, but that everything was within spec too. And this was for stuff that was a lot less than $600 and we were paying US workers. So no, it is not ridiculous to test every one. Especially if it is made in china where labor is still relatively cheap.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:35:31 pm by HBIII »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2022, 10:22:35 am »
When I was working in manufacturing we tested every function on every single unit. And not ony that everything was functioning, but that everything was within spec too. And this was for stuff that was a lot less than $600 and we were paying US workers. So no, it is not ridiculous to test every one. Especially if it is made in china where labor is still relatively cheap.
Not knowing what you were manufacturing makes it difficult for me to make an objective comparison, but no, I maintain that it's a ridiculous expectation, actually especially considering they are assembled in China. The production lines are assembling thousands of products a day, for various manufacturers, it would not be possible for every single item to be individually tested, nor would they necessarily have the knowledge. The people assembling this kit are assembling midi controllers today but probably fridges tomorrow. Likely your team was not expected to have that diversity.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:48:49 pm by MajorFubar »

Lovelight

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 01:37:08 pm »
I bought the Keylab 49 MK2 several years ago and from day 1 c4 didn't work unless you press hard, it has been a pain ever since using it, also half of the encoders and faders was not reliable until I look into it gave them some contact spray then they work. But it seems to me that many people got the same problems with these keyboards. I also got the key step 37 and the Keystep, they are flawless no problems great quality. But its weird with bigger and much more expensive keyboards have got that many problems...

amonti

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 11:15:44 pm »
... also half of the encoders and faders was not reliable until I look into it gave them some contact spray then they work. But it seems to me that many people got the same problems with these keyboards.

I've ordered a set of replacement sliders for my MKII (arriving tomorrow) - started a thread in the legacy Keylab subforum (https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=108648.0) thinking that the older units would experience bad sliders more often, but this doesn't appear to the case! Will post a quick 'how-to' guide when I replace the sliders.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 12:50:52 pm »
it seems to me that many people got the same problems with these keyboards.
To be fair to Arturia, the problem with making assumptions based on the activity on forums like this is that all the people who aren't having problems don't join up to say how rosy their life is. You end up with a skewed perspective, like on review sites, because statistically more people leave a review when they are dissatisfied than when they are satisfied.

amonti

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2022, 07:29:59 am »
I've ordered a set of replacement sliders for my MKII (arriving tomorrow) - started a thread in the legacy Keylab subforum (https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=108648.0) thinking that the older units would experience bad sliders more often, but this doesn't appear to the case! Will post a quick 'how-to' guide when I replace the sliders.

Just finished the 61 MkII replacement write up in the Keylab forum...

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=108648.0

Hope this helps keep restore a few to working condition...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines