March 28, 2024, 01:05:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can I delete the VST and VST3 versions, as well as the Standalones?  (Read 3955 times)

levets

• Apprentice
I have a Mac using Logic, which uses AU for plug ins - those are all "Components".

On installing V Collection I got the VST and VST3 versions as well, but I really won't ever use those.

The same is true of the standalone versions - I'll never use those - and some of the plug ins aren't even available in the standalone version anyway.

Thanks

LBH

Re: Can I delete the VST and VST3 versions, as well as the Standalones?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 04:19:46 pm »
When you run an installer, then you get a choice to deselect to install certain plugins.
When you installed the first time, you should have got this possibility, if you read the text in the dialog boxes, during the install. At least i get this option on Windows, so i assume it's the same on a MAC.

In Silent install you don't get this option.

If you have the plugins installed, then you will get then again, when you update, unless you select not to install them.

djedgoes

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 11:23:30 am »
I think when you install from ASC, it's a silent install. I never saw any prompts to select which plugins types (vst2, vst3 etc) to install.
On Subsequent installs, also manual installs for individual instruments, you can deselect the plugin types you don't want, but then you receive a warning that already installed plugins will remain.
I think completely uninstalling an instrument then installing again (and then selecting which plugs you want to have installed) could be an option.
I also think that manually just deleting the unwanted plugin types from the VST2/3 folder where they exist wouldn't hurt.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 03:44:15 pm »
I think when you install from ASC, it's a silent install.
You can choose to have Silent install or not in ASC preferences.

levets

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 01:37:20 am »
I think when you install from ASC, it's a silent install. I never saw any prompts to select which plugins types (vst2, vst3 etc) to install.
On Subsequent installs, also manual installs for individual instruments, you can deselect the plugin types you don't want, but then you receive a warning that already installed plugins will remain.
I think completely uninstalling an instrument then installing again (and then selecting which plugs you want to have installed) could be an option.
I also think that manually just deleting the unwanted plugin types from the VST2/3 folder where they exist wouldn't hurt.

I've put the VST versions in a "quarantine" folder to see if anything wonky happens. It really shouldn't because obviously one could install just those on a non-silent install.

Thanks

steve_oakley

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 10:47:10 pm »

The real problem is when there is a major update of everything. its beyond tedious to click thru all those installers, disable or enable as appropriate for you, then repeat 20 times.

There is also massive duplication of assets within the Arturia plugins. open one up and look at resources to find a 3.5mb file of fonts X every filter X every vers X the duplicated folder = 1.2gb of dupe files. Arturia needs to fix their installs badly and clean up all the wasted space. for what should be a few hundred mb at most, they are using 32gb of which 20gb+ is easily wasted space. I did set up a test of making aliases of fonts and putting them into a single folder and it works, but its super tedious to do by hand.

S

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 09:15:23 am »

The real problem is when there is a major update of everything. its beyond tedious to click thru all those installers, disable or enable as appropriate for you, then repeat 20 times.

There is also massive duplication of assets within the Arturia plugins. open one up and look at resources to find a 3.5mb file of fonts X every filter X every vers X the duplicated folder = 1.2gb of dupe files. Arturia needs to fix their installs badly and clean up all the wasted space. for what should be a few hundred mb at most, they are using 32gb of which 20gb+ is easily wasted space. I did set up a test of making aliases of fonts and putting them into a single folder and it works, but its super tedious to do by hand.

S
Would be good if they allowed you to choose what you wanted to install: VST, Audio Unit (Component), etc, and didn't install the rest. But Arturia are not alone in doing this. Hard drives got mega cheap, and software manufacturers got lazy in their housekeeping. But actually we're on the other side of that now, where decent SSDs aren't cheap at all, so I fully agree it would be useful if mfrs wre a little less liberal at smattering our SSDs with stuff we don't want and won't use.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines