September 19, 2024, 09:55:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Offset value for active steps?  (Read 2121 times)

FlavioB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Offset value for active steps?
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:31:07 pm »
Hi all.
I'm running latest firmware 2.0.1.6 and I can't seem to make the "offset value for all active steps" work. I have a pattern running and I want to "transpose" all active steps 2 semitones higher. So I press shift PLUS I rotate knob 1. The display shows the note for step 1 but doesn't alter anything besides step 1.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Flavio.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Offset value for active steps?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 02:34:22 am »
The offset function via knobs only works with the velocity and gate value.  To transpose a sequence, press and hold the sequencer button you wish to transpose then use the pads to choose an interval from middle C (the top C on the pads when you are pressing, change octaves with in the same manner you do while programming sequences via the pads). 
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

FlavioB

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 11:48:28 am »
Hi Mark - thanks for the explanation.
My use case would in fact be to transpose only the active steps of a pattern. Like this: I temporarily disable some steps, then offset the ones remaining lit, then enable the other steps back.

Also another question: when I transpose like you explained (the whole pattern), are the step values changed, or is there only a "transpose value" added/removed to them?

F.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 08:26:27 am »
Once transposed, the steps will reflect the new note values when you check their value by touching a knob and not just show a + or - value.  To check what the transpose interval is you follow the steps as you were to begin to transpose the sequence but not hit a pad.  The interval will be shown by a lit pad on the "keyboard" and what octave it is in will be displayed by a flashing octave pad (in the usual manner used to indicate what octave the note-input keyboard is in).

Because it will display the notes as what is being played and not as + or - when transposed, what can be a bit confusing at times is when you transpose a pattern then save it, but forget you've saved the transposed pattern next time you recall it.  Without checking if the sequence is in it's natural key I've recalled a sequence then gone nuts trying to work out why it's not matching the rest of the patterns in the project until I go to try and correct it by transposing it and find it's not set to middle C!  Might seem like a bad idea to not have the note value show that it's been transposed, but at the same time, I find knowing the actual note being played on the step is way more helpful than having no idea what is supposed to be played (in most situations).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines