April 29, 2024, 05:05:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Knob settings to control synths in Logic Pro X  (Read 2659 times)

hir4_78

• Apprentice
Knob settings to control synths in Logic Pro X
« on: December 22, 2018, 09:10:15 pm »
Hi

Just got my BSP & am busy trying to figure it out!  To begin with I will mainly be using it to control synths in Logic such as Omnisphere & Pigments (got sick of using my mouse), I have learnt how to assign knobs via CC and am loving the hands on approach to creating music.

I am a little confused as to why the knobs on the BSP turn 360 degrees without it seems a start & end point if that makes sense.  It's like I am not able to control the cutoff in Omnisphere the way I want, I have to keep dialling the BSP knob round & round again many times just for the cutoff on Omnisphere to move up 90 degree.  Is there any way of adjusting the response of the BSP knobs to better match the control of the Omnisphere knobs?

I hope Im making sense!

Cheers  :)

Híra

hir4_78

• Apprentice
Re: Knob settings to control synths in Logic Pro X
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 10:23:24 pm »
Okay, after some research I have realised that this is a big issue with the BSP, one of the main reasons I purchased was so I could control controls in my DAW via the encoders, I am totally shocked that the encoders do not respond accurately or smoothly with the controls in my virtual synths, even Arturia Pigments!!  I have tried all the various settings in the control centre & none are good.

Can someone please help!!

Arturia please help!!

& what's with all this verification nonsense every single time you wanna post  >:(

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 12:04:29 pm »
what's with all this verification nonsense every single time you wanna post  >:(
Probably to try to stop the influx of spam posts. One day last week there was nearly 100.

The pots are called continuous encoders. They purposefully don't have a start and end. The benefit of continuous encoders is they work instantly when assigned to any virtual knob on screen and don't have to be rotated either clockwise or counter clockwise to first 'pick up' where the knob is on screen.

But as you've discovered the knobs are low resolution and you have to rotate them quite a lot. It would be better if they were high resolution pots, where just one 360°rotation equated to the full 127-step sweep of the pot on screen.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

hir4_78

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 01:10:11 pm »
Hi MajorFubar,

Thanks for your reply & info.

I can understand why this can be beneficial as you have described, however think that high resolution where it mirrors the virtual knobs more accurately would be better (for me anyway).

Is there any way to do this?  if not I will probably return it for something more suitable. 

✌️

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 04:28:17 pm »
I don't think so unfortunately. Actually I like the continuous encoders, but I also agree with the various complaints (yours is not the first) that the resolution is too low. Full turn of the pot should be full turn on screen.

IMO, this is the common theme with Arturia hardware: the actual overall build quality is always top notch, but they skimp on the details. Such as, the quality of the (bought-in) keybeds on the mk1 KeyLab was sub par and the net is awash with posts from owners complaining about broken keys and malfunctioning notes. Then they have this fantastic idea of using continuous encoders so the knobs are never out of sync with the controls on screen, but then they buy the cheapest ones they can find like they did with the KeyLab keybed, with a next to useless DPI.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 04:53:33 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines