April 29, 2024, 01:06:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BUG - device lockup  (Read 5588 times)

guidewire

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BUG - device lockup
« on: June 24, 2017, 08:35:48 pm »
I got the newest firmware installed last night and was playing around with things.  At one point I turned on the "global tempo" while bsp was playing and then switched to a new Project. I poking around with the other "control mode" toggles before switching over.  I think it got to the end of the first new pattern and locked the whole device up.  I couldn't select any of the tracks and none of the buttons functioned.  I turned it off and back on and it ran fine after that.  I've never had a lock up like that before.  I'm not sure I can provide any more info on what was happening when it locked. 

ben arturia

• Administrator
Re: BUG - device lockup
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:30:31 am »
Hi guidewire,
I'm really sorry to hear about that.
Could you please give more infos ?
When the bug happens did the sequencer was still running ?
Do you remember if "wait to load pattern" was on ?
Did you change "wait to load project" option in MCC ?

Best
.......testing.......

guidewire

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »
When the bug happened the sequence seemed to get  stuck on the last note.
I didn't edit anything from the MCC and I'm fairly sure the "wait to load pattern" was off.

I'll try to recreate what I did tonight and see if I can make the same thing happen.

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 03:52:31 pm »
Did you use the touch strip ?
.......testing.......

guidewire

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:59:04 am »
I was trying alot of things and could have.  I can't say for sure.  The clearest detail was me changing from one project to another.  I tried recreating it last night to no "success".

scubapig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:38:17 pm »
I got the newest firmware installed last night and was playing around with things.  At one point I turned on the "global tempo" while bsp was playing and then switched to a new Project. I poking around with the other "control mode" toggles before switching over.  I think it got to the end of the first new pattern and locked the whole device up.  I couldn't select any of the tracks and none of the buttons functioned.  I turned it off and back on and it ran fine after that.  I've never had a lock up like that before.  I'm not sure I can provide any more info on what was happening when it locked.

+1. I have had two total lockups (all the lights that were on when the lockup happened frozen but no response from any buttons) in the last 2 days. Latest firmware installed. First time, I was using MIDI out to play notes on a Korg Monologue and the second time CV pitch and gate from Seq 1 to a Makenoise 0-Coast. Also, the first time was using the internal clock and the second was syncing to a Drumbrute via clock out.

This is not good - I've had the BSP for about 5 days. That is not a good crash rate. It needs addressing urgently as I'm very tempted to return it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:41:21 pm by scubapig »

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 05:39:03 pm »
Hi could you save all your projects in the mcc and try a hard reset by pressing PRST <<>> LST STEP buttons and turning on the bsp . also do you have the latest FW .Remember all projects will be lost if you do not save them first to the mcc.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

scubapig

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 08:32:03 pm »
Thanks. Done that and have had no problems yet...Not really fully tested, but as I say, good so far. Fingers crossed.

I really hope it stays working because apart from that, it's a pretty brilliant unit.  :)

Efadis

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 05:50:46 am »

+1. I have had two total lockups (all the lights that were on when the lockup happened frozen but no response from any buttons) in the last 2 days. Latest firmware installed. First time, I was using MIDI out to play notes on a Korg Monologue and the second time CV pitch and gate from Seq 1 to a Makenoise 0-Coast. Also, the first time was using the internal clock and the second was syncing to a Drumbrute via clock out.

This is not good - I've had the BSP for about 5 days. That is not a good crash rate. It needs addressing urgently as I'm very tempted to return it.

+2. I have had 5 consecutive lockups in less than two hours.  I updated to the latest firmware yesterday and was happy with the added functionality. 
Today I was running the beatstep pro in internal sync mode, powered by usb, not connected to a PC.
I was sequencing:
  • System-1m with sequencer 1 pitch and gate outs
  • Modular synth with sequencer 2 pitch and gate outs
  • TR-09 through midi out

Everything was working fine until I pushed the button to advance to the next pattern on sequencer 1, and the whole thing locked up.  The lights that were on stayed lit, and all signals to the synths stopped. No response to any button press or combination of buttons pressed.  Upon restarting the beatstep pro, everything went back to normal.  I fooled around a bit more, and after about 15 minutes of constant playing, the same thing happened, this time while I was pressing the "pattern advance" buttons on both sequencer 1 and sequencer 2 simultaneously.  I was able to replicate this "freeze" 3 more times, always after pressing a button in the green and/or yellow sequencer sections.  Before a freeze happens, I can press buttons in these areas as quickly as I like, in any pattern or combination.

I've never experienced a lockup like this before, and have used the beatstep pro regularly for at least 4 months.

I hope this info helps and that the error is on my end.  Any help is appreciated. 

[edit] I executed the hard reset and haven't been able to replicate the lockup.  Hopefully this fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:50:30 am by Efadis »

ben arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:02 am »
Hi Efadis,
That's a very strange behavior. I've been testing it here and I didn't reproduce it.
Could you please tell me :
- What was the previous Firmware on your BSP before updating ?
- Do you have polyrythm pattern on drum sequencers ?
- What was your pattern direction, time division ?
- Are you in wait to load pattern mode ? (shift + step 14)

If you don't reproduce after a reset factory it could mean that the problem comes from the last firmware you had on the machine...
.......testing.......

tkabd

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 05:30:13 pm »
Had three lockups too after using the touch strip. :'(
polyrythm on, swing 67%

Efadis

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 10:20:03 pm »
Hi Efadis,
That's a very strange behavior. I've been testing it here and I didn't reproduce it.
Could you please tell me :
- What was the previous Firmware on your BSP before updating ?
- Do you have polyrythm pattern on drum sequencers ?
- What was your pattern direction, time division ?
- Are you in wait to load pattern mode ? (shift + step 14)

If you don't reproduce after a reset factory it could mean that the problem comes from the last firmware you had on the machine...

Hi ben arturia, thanks for the response!

I just reproduced the lockup today after fooling around with a project. It happened after about 15 minutes again.  It seems to occur when I am editing and saving patterns on the fly while changing patterns on the sequencer 1, sequencer 2, and drums. It works great, and then it just locks up while I'm doing the exact same thing that I was doing 20 seconds before.

In response to your questions:

-I don't know what firmware I was running before updating to 2.0, as I had never connected it to a PC before doing the 2.0 update.  So whatever it shipped with is what it was running.

-At the time of my first post, I did have polyrhythm mode turned on, although today I don't, and was able to reproduce the lock up.  Something to note though, on sequencer 2, my first two patterns have last step set at 6.  I was frequently (every 2-10 seconds, sometimes skipping from pattern1 to pattern 5 as quickly as i could) changing through the patterns.  So, going from last step 6, to last step 16, last step 64 very quickly, and many times.  I don't know if the beatstep pro handles polyrhythms the same as "last steps", but seeing as I feel that the lockup happens while switching through patterns, this might help someone replicate it.

-Pattern direction is always forward and time division is always 1/16

-I am not in wait to load pattern mode, and have never toggled it to my knowledge

I will try to factory reset it and see if I can reproduce the lockup again.  I'd like to solve this, as I am looking at using the beatstep pro in some live settings soon and I've really enjoyed using it so far, especially after 2.0

ozmic

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2017, 07:15:03 am »
Updated and played around with it last night. I did not try any new features. But I used the Drum sequencer using midi and the midi control center to change the instruments for the pads on the BSP (linked to an RX-5) and as a result lost every sequence I programmed in before on sequencer 1 and 2. I did not back them up (as I had never had any issues before). It was like it had reverted to factory settings.
Today, I just turned it on and this happened. Pressing any button did nothing. I turned it off and on twice afterwards before it powered up normally.

I just played around with the tempo speeding it up and slowing it down and whilst doing so, the BSP froze. Pressing buttons changed noting. I had to turn it off and on.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 07:33:56 am by ozmic »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2017, 07:47:55 am »
Y'all are scaring the shit out of me.  I've not updated my firmware to 2.0x yet and I think I'm gonna wait until they fix the bugs before I do so.
Could different build date for the hardware make any difference to the firmware?  I have a BSP from the first run (well I assume it is since I pre-ordered and received mine from the first distribution run in this country).
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Ululu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2017, 10:31:50 am »
Y'all are scaring the shit out of me.  I've not updated my firmware to 2.0x yet and I think I'm gonna wait until they fix the bugs before I do so.
Could different build date for the hardware make any difference to the firmware?  I have a BSP from the first run (well I assume it is since I pre-ordered and received mine from the first distribution run in this country).

If you really want to try 2.0 just make sure you backup your projects, just in case anything crazy happens. Otherwise you can always revert back to your stable version of the firmware that you're running now. I'm confident that there will be a quick fix for all these issues.
Peace.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines