April 29, 2024, 04:32:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Brute Factor: is this normal  (Read 1778 times)

paolonox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Brute Factor: is this normal
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:28:45 am »
If I put a single wave on an OSC and turn the brute factor knob a lot I have a sort noisey bubbling sound.. is this normal? The sound becames sort of "heavier" until I reach half of the knob but then I have this sort of noise coming in...Any other experiences?

SoundRider

Re: Brute Factor: is this normal
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 09:06:58 am »
Yes, what you describe is typical for the Brute Factor. This kind of feedback loop can "thicken" and later "destroy" a sound until we get chaotic behaviour of the filter response.

The trick is to find sweet spots. How the Brute Factor changes the sound depends on the basic sound mix going into the filter, the amount of drive, the position of the cut-off frequency, and the amount of resonance. Well, and which sort of filter we are using, of course. There is also a special resonance possible, which is mainly influenced by the BruteFactor.

To explore the Brute Factor I would start with a general saw wave, send this to the Steiner Parker, because it will be more dramatic, but set drive, resonance, and Brute Factor to zero. Then rise the resonance to a quarter or 12 o'clock, have the cut-off 12 o'clock and start wiggling the Brute Factor, the cut-off, and the resonance. This is only supposed to create an experience, where the sound is more or less itself, starts to get dirty, and where the realm of chaos begins. Maybe that this could already lead to some sweet spots of your liking.

Later try to use audio-fm of the cut-off too, by using VCO3 or the noise sources. There is a lot to discover :D

paolonox

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Brute Factor: is this normal
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 09:20:23 am »
Thank you very much! There is really a lot to explore in the MB!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines