March 29, 2024, 01:37:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCollection 5 takes alot more space than VCollection 4?  (Read 1700 times)

Thoaren

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
VCollection 5 takes alot more space than VCollection 4?
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:39:20 am »
Hi,

How come the VCollection 5 takes alot more space than VCollection 4? For example: The ARP 2600 V2 is only 7,45 MB while the ARP 2600 V3 is 311 MB

Best regards,

Thoaren
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:44:53 am by Thoaren »

MuddySuzuki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: VCollection 5 takes alot more space than VCollection 4?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 06:14:49 pm »
I think it's the resizable graphic interfaces. Instead of having one size, i think each instrument has separate visual images for each size variation, so that the image resolution doesn't deteriorate when shrinking or expanding. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

waltercruz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: VCollection 5 takes alot more space than VCollection 4?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 05:50:20 pm »
Yes, it's the images.

Some quotes from kvr forum:

The minimoog has 44 keys. There is a separate folder for each key, and each key folder contains 8 key images. Then there are 5 sizes. Added together the minimoog keyboard comes to a grand total of 1,220 image files in 255 folders. (~28MB)

ARP: 49 keys

Jupiter: 61 keys

etcetera

You do the math.

Arturia on the other hand took the probably worst approach thats technically possible: Several sets of UI images in several different sizes consisting of thousands of files in hundrets of folders, (example minimoog: 18.899 files in 528 folders), which not only results in a hefty RAM usage per instance but also creates quite some overhead on the harddrive because all these small files dont always entirely fill a cluster. (Example minimoog: Actual Size of bitmap folder 218MB, Size on Disk 256MB.)

Not good for people on low-capacity SolidState Drives...the whole set of plugins will probably take space in the gigabytes only for the images alone. (Unless of course you manually relocate the stuff, which luckily is possible. But of course the size will stay the same.)

Really makes you wonder who greenlighted such a wasteful UI system. If i had anything to say over there, no way in hell i had sanctioned this because after all better ways are available.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines