April 29, 2024, 03:56:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP and BS1 start and stop  (Read 1934 times)

turbo_kev

BSP and BS1 start and stop
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:22:14 am »
Hi

Why is it I can start and stop my daw ( bitwig )

from the BS1   but not from the BSP

cheers
kev
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: BSP and BS1 start and stop
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 02:52:44 am »
Because Bitwig has been set to receive stop/start/continue midi messages. You will need to consult your Bitwig manual to see how to disable this, or how to set Bitwig to ignore the messages.

Not sure about slaved, but when the Beatstep Pro is master, it will send out Midi clock info; you can't turn this off.  It also sends out a midi CC for start, stop and record.  You can change these parameters, but again, you can't turn them off.  I've set my transport buttons to send CC124, CC125 and CC126.  These don't mess with my synths, but I did have a short period before deciding on this range of some synth's patches resetting (CC123) and other odd behaviour due to the upper CC's beyond CC120 controlling some global midi settings that control the overall behaviour of the instrument (depending if the makers used them).  Consult the midi implementation charts for your various instruments to find out what CCs they use beyond CC120.  I say use those upper CCs as generally you will find that makers don't use all of them, but will squeeze as many patch parameters they can into spare CC's below CC120.  Or at least Waldorf do.....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

turbo_kev

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:30:01 pm »
Hi
still not sure what you mean

I like the fact that you can start and stop my daw from the Beatstep 1
but I don't understand why I cant do this from the Beatstep pro

Obviously the beatstep 1  is send out messages that the Beatstep pro isn't
is there a setting in the MCC for the Beatstep pro to make it output the same as the Beatstep 1

cheers
kev
BWS 3.0.0,Spark LE, V Collection 6.2, BS1 & BS PRO, Keystep & Keystep pro  keylab 25, Axiom pro 49,Behringer UMC1820,Launch pad pro,ProFx8 v2,Icon m+ & D2,KRK 10/3,win 10 pro,i7 5820k 4ghz ,16G ddr 4 ,1TB NVMe.M2, msi x99a sli + , NV GF Gt 710, Matrix Brute  Roland TR8S

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 05:24:51 am »
Okay, I've been giving all this advice about how to overcome the CC's assigned to the transport controls, but I'm not sure with this.  I don't have a Beatstep original but from looking at it's transport control functions, I'm guessing the issue is you may not have MMC messages enabled on your Beatstep Pro.  I checked with my BSP what happened when I disabled plain old midi on it and it controlled the devices that use MMC but the ones that didn't just stayed dormant when sent MMC data.

Connect your BSP to MCC and check the transport control setting.  See if you have *both* in the first drop-down menu in "Transport" settings (on the right of MCC).  If not set it both and see if that helps.  Otherwise you might have to use a midi monitor, like the one in Midiox, to capture what is being sent out from your BSP when you use the transport controls and cross reference them to what is being sent by your Beatstep (by doing the same with it) to discover why Bitwig doesn't like you BSP.

I use an old fashioned midi diagnostics box that has a bunch of leds to indicate what sort of messages it's receiving, but all it can tell me about transport is whether it's receiving only MMC data, midi time (not MTC), midi CC's or all three, the last being the case when setting BSP to *both* in MMC.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines