April 29, 2024, 06:05:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pattern chains' starting pattern  (Read 1359 times)

logarhythm

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Pattern chains' starting pattern
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:32:31 am »
I really like the pattern chaining implementation added in version 1.3.  In particular, being able to put a separate chain (or simultaneously enter the same chain) on multiple sequencers is wonderful.  There is just one bit of odd behavior with certain settings that can hopefully be addressed:

I have "Wait to Load Pattern" set to "On," so the pattern should change at the end of the current measure.  If I stop the sequencer and create a pattern chain, then hit 'play,' it will always play the currently selected pattern once before beginning my chain from its beginning.

I can imagine why this is happening, but it's musically undesirable (and doesn't match other step sequencers' chaining behavior,) since frequently you'll enter a pattern chain and hit 'play' to start a song.  This makes it sound as though you've entered an extra loop of the currently selected pattern and that you've done your chain incorrectly.  It also throws off looping songs, which you'd like to start at the beginning of the chain you've entered.  It's unfortunately exacerbated a bit by the fact that you also can't change the pattern without wiping out your new chain >:)

For example, if I'm on pattern 1 and set up a chain as: 1 1 2 2 3 3, I'll get: 1 1 1 2 2 3 3 when I hit play, and when it loops it will be 1 1 2 2 3 3.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Pattern chains' starting pattern
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:14:57 am »
Never noticed this, but I have a habit of first play of a chain I make sure the pattern currently open is not the first pattern in the chain, just to confirm I am actually playing the chain.  Also I have a habit of hitting 'stop' three times before hitting 'play' as a way of making sure there are no hung notes and all other sequencers are definitely at the top of their sequence.  Those two nervous twitches help a good amount of pebcak issues.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines