March 28, 2024, 07:18:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Feature request: Multiple outs in standalone mode  (Read 2150 times)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
Feature request: Multiple outs in standalone mode
« on: November 14, 2015, 02:13:29 am »
Hi all,

Just thinking about if anyone would find multiple outs useful in the standalone version of Spark?
I'm aware that this feature is usable in a DAW, which I do make use of. It would be also nice to see it in the standalone version, no?

I appreciate that this might only be applicable for a section of users but equally useful for being able to control levels externally.

Seeing as it's already on the application, i'm presuming it could be implemented into the standalone version with a update?

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
2.3Ghz Quad Core 'Clovertown'
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Arturia Analog Laboratory 61
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Analog Laboratory
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

masi

Re: Feature request: Multiple outs in standalone mode
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 09:06:40 pm »
In standalone mode I'm missing more busses. So I could use bus compression on the drums without affecting any synth FXs.

Masi

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 08:37:54 am »
In standalone mode I'm missing more busses. So I could use bus compression on the drums without affecting any synth FXs.

Masi

You're describing the onset of Spark as a DAW. It's a drum machine and we shouldn't loose sight of that. More buses can easily be achieved in a DAW where routing possability is endless.

Thanks, Stuart
Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

masi

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 09:41:22 pm »
Sure, within a DAW I don't need busses. But there I don't even need the two return tracks.

But I see two bus tracks * not as a DAW replacement, for me they simply enhance the live mixing console.

Masi

* Ok, I didn't limit myself in the original answer.

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 10:04:23 pm »

But I see two bus tracks * not as a DAW replacement, for me they simply enhance the live mixing console.

Not so much a DAW replacement, it would have to be updated quite a bit before that ever happened ;)
Just that even as the mixer stands now, In my opinion it is too much. Adding more would be over the top.

Adding multiple outputs to the standalone version means that you could bring them into a mixer and do whatever you water to them. Buss, add FX, compress etc.

This takes it out of the software domain (a good thing in my opinion) and focus it back to being a drum machine. (Physical drum machines have multiple outs)

Everyone has their option on what is good and what is required based on their own workflow, i know

Thanks, Stuart

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7
Arturia V Collection
Arturia Brass 2
Ableton Live 8
Reason 6.5
Melodyne Studio 3

masi

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:12 pm »
Everyone has their option on what is good and what is required based on their own workflow, i know

That's right. Probably I cannot imagine right now what to do with extra outputs in standalone mode (being used to DAWs).

Internally the outputs shouldn't be a problem for the developers (as they work fine in the plugin version), but I have no idea if any OS makes troubles if you ask it for more than a single stereo out. Given the strange choices you have on Windows I'm not so sure if it's so easy to implement.

But in case it can be done and you have some outboard devices ready then it will make sense to have multiple outputs. Otherwise my idea of two busses may help if you still have a few CPU cycles left to burn.

Masi

PS: To really top it I ask for the standalone mode to be a VST host :)

stuey

• Spark Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 11:34:58 pm »

That's right. Probably I cannot imagine right now what to do with extra outputs in standalone mode (being used to DAWs).

Internally the outputs shouldn't be a problem for the developers (as they work fine in the plugin version), but I have no idea if any OS makes troubles if you ask it for more than a single stereo out. Given the strange choices you have on Windows I'm not so sure if it's so easy to implement.

That would be done in the audio device driver so it would only present the relevant amount of outputs given the device you attach. Without an audio device attached it would just present a stereo out.

I have an old novation drum station which has 8 outs, the Vermona has 8 outputs. The Tempest has 6 voices out, the 808, 909, Linn and all the kits that Spark emulates, have multiple outs.

I don't really use it in a DAW, i use it more like an old skool drum machine like the linn, 909 et al, just hook it up to a mixer and go. Sync comes from midi so you can sync it up to a recorder if needed. I just think that all the (in my opinion) superfluous add ons over the last years have lacked something that would really make it very useable as the instrument it was intended to emulate.   

Thanks, Stuart 

Mac 10.7.5
8 Gb 667 RAM
SSD Boot Drive
Lynx Aurora 8
Lynx AES16
UAD LA 610 Mk 2
UAD 2 Duo
Arturia Spark
Pro Tools 10.3.7