April 28, 2024, 01:03:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Using Beatstep Pro with Ableton Live 9?  (Read 4152 times)

TinHornDan

Using Beatstep Pro with Ableton Live 9?
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:56:15 pm »
I've had my BSP for over 2 months now and I really enjoy using it with my Minibrute and Ableton Live 9. The problem I've been having is with recording the drum sequences I've programmed on the BSP with Live as MIDI clips. I'm not necessarily looking for a solution to that problem with this post though, as I suspect that may be a question which belongs on a Live 9 specific forum. What I am interested in is:

For those Beatstep Pro owners who are using it with Live 9, what is your workflow? Or how exactly are you using the Beatstep Pro in conjunction with Live 9, not in terms of how you are connecting cabling or such, but how you are using the software with the BSP?

I think that perhaps answers to that question may be more useful toward helping me solve the issues I mentioned having at the start of this post, and may be more relevant to others who read this forum than a specific inquiry into solving my personal problem.

Anyway, any responses to the question Ive posed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zymos

Re: Using Beatstep Pro with Ableton Live 9?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:22:09 pm »
I mainly use Live as a host, don't do much recording.
BSP slaved to it, via USB. I have a track coming in from the BSP, and add another if I want to record into BSP from a MIDI keyboard.

So your issue is trying to play back a sequence and have it recorded in Live? Does anything at all get recorded when you try it? Is Live seeing MIDI coming in when you are doing it?

TinHornDan

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 07:21:37 am »
The midi notes get recorded. My problem is that the notes that ableton records arent in the same spots that they are were programmed into the beatstep. Really, the source of my troubles is that I have Ableto slaved to the BSP,  and  as you may be aware, the bpms fluctuate a good bit when Live is clocked in this manner. Those fluctuations cause the midi data that is coming into live to shift at random from where they should fall on the grid. The obvious solution in this case would be to slave the BSP to Live, but every time Ive tried that, as per the instructions provided by Arturia, it hasnt worked.

ADV

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »
I had purchased a BSP not to long after it was released but returned it within 2 weeks due to it not syncing properly with Live. I own the original BS and have no problem with syncing, BSP was a whole other story. I tried everything and nothing seemed to work. I returned it thinking it may have been a bad unit but after reading through the forums I think it's just their firmware. It is a real shame as I love the unit but again after reading through the forums it seems their firmware is not ready for prime time. I come on here once a week hoping they have a new firmware version that fixes the problems but I keep seeing a ton of complaints. If they eventually get it right I will purchase another one.

Zymos

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:42:58 pm »
I'm running the same firmware as everyone else, it syncs perfectly to Live using USB. Other people are saying USB is terrible but MIDI works fine, others are saying nothing works and the whole thing is a POS.

Are some BSPs just duds? Is it people's different systems? User error? Who knows...?

angstrom

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 09:15:12 pm »
I'm using it with Live.  It syncs to Live's clock for a while and then will just seize up.    A good way to trigger the seize up is pressing the looper/roller strip.

the only way to get the BSP to sync again is either powercycle it or restart Live. 

Support told me :
Please note that this week, a new firmware will be released, fixing the USB issue.

but it's a very crashy device.  It can detect when I'm having fun and it chooses that exact moment.

Current Live workflow:  use for 10 minutes then restart unit.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines