April 29, 2024, 10:08:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: FEATURE REQUEST (Firmware) Sync option for Teenage Engineering' Pocket Operators  (Read 5675 times)

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi everyone !

As this topic (http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=84594.msg124944#msg124944) mentions, we face a syncing problem with Teenage Engineering's Pocket Operators (P0-12, PO-14, PO-16 for keywords/search purpose in the forum).

Plugged with BeatStep Pro Clock Out (set to 1ppqn), PO runs at twice the expected speed.

We guess that implementing a setting of 1/2 ppqn would fixed this issue for this particular hardware.

Could we expect such an update with the next firmware ? :)

Thanks,
Nicolas

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Hi have you tried 24 ppqn  this should bring the speed down by half

regards

terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi terrym,

sorry to have you waited for my answer. I wanted to take the time to try once more what you suggested before answer too quickly so that you have solid feedback.

And.. Nop : "24ppq" is far worse than "1 step", it runs faster (and 48 worse again).

The only good solution is wasting a drum track and enter a "note on" every 2 steps for this drum track.
If this can help you assess what is going on and at which speed we need the sync signal.

(Note if necessary that I tried with both a mono and a stereo cable with the same results)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
Hi have you tried using midi as clock is din sync and not midi sync

regards

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sorry, I don't understand.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
You are going to have the same problem pretty much no matter what cv/trig sequencer you use to clock your PO as Teenage Engineering seem to have purposely chosen an unorthodox sync pulse rate no other instrument uses, requiring PO users to purchase another item from them to use their PO's with non-TE instruments.
Like I said in the other thread, the Oplab (TE's cv/midi sync box) looks like an interesting box on it's own and worth a purchase even if you don't own a TE product but are interested in experimenting or creating unusual control devices.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Yes but as these machines can't update, the sync system can't change ; so once we get the system, we can assume Arturia's possibly dedicated implementation will be reliable.

Furthermore : we can "simply" listen to this signal as it is audio and compare to the corresponding bmp on the display.

And our Beatstep Pro is dedicated to fill the gap between machines of heterogenous technology.
This case (Pocket Operators) doesn't seem to be such a challenge to implement (I can be mistaking) and would expand interoperability of BSP. :)

If I come to use midi DIN (as I guess Terrym suggests), I lose the MIDI DIN OUT that I could/will use to control a synth (if I don't buy an external midi splitter/merger).
Why looking for Do-It-Yourself workarounds since we have a minijack Clock Out dedicated? :)

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
This case (Pocket Operators) doesn't seem to be such a challenge to implement (I can be mistaking) and would expand interoperability of BSP. :)

Hi pinkcell,

We may in a future Firmware implenting this clock but it's not as simple. Implementing this clock does not mean you just sending a "2 pulses per step", it also means interpolate signals to generate the others clock and have a good sync. So we may think about it as it's also the settings used by volcas but if an other compagny makes a new standard we won't be able to deal with all.

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks for your reply Valentin!

I'll be glad if it's implemented (as I also own a Volca).
And I understand it's not as simple as it looks ;)

I posted to start a post to gather this request if anyone feels the need of it for you to know that this feature would be appreciated ! :)

See you! :)
Nicolas

pinkcell

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi Valentin,

as I suggested to ben in another thread, maybe Korg's iOS App "SyncKontrol" could help studying the question of the integration of this setup in MIDI Control Center.
It's a syncing app for Volcas (which also works for Pocket Operators).

Hope you're still planning to include this in the next firmware. :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines