April 27, 2024, 09:11:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Triggering ms-20 doubt  (Read 5130 times)

miguelrivero

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Triggering ms-20 doubt
« on: September 15, 2015, 11:45:12 pm »
Hi,

I'm using the Beatstep pro to sequence my MS-20. WOrks fine, except when I use the pads the note actually sounds when my finger stops pressing. Is it normal with the MS-20 way od working, or am I configuring/connecting something wrong.

Sequence is configured with s-trig and hz/volt, and goes to the vco 1+2 cv in and KBD trig in of the synthesizer.

Thanks!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Triggering ms-20 doubt
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 01:48:00 pm »
I've not even got my MS-20 plugged in right now, so haven't tried the BSP with it yet, but I was using a PAIA Fatman to trigger it many, many (15 actually) years ago and was experiencing the same thing (reverse triggering).  I thought it was something wrong with the Fatman and gave it to my brother to try to find the problem, which he could not.  I've discovered recently that there was nothing wrong with the Fatman (which my brother pulled apart, gave to a friend and then never retrieved) and it was everything to do with the way the MS-20 triggers.  The MS-20 trigger works when the it receives a 0v signal and releases at 5v (or 3.2v depending on which site you believe).  Here is a diagram from the MS-20 manual:

I discovered that all I needed to do to get the Fatman to trigger the MS-20 was to invert the signal by crosswiring my patch lead.

The Arturia BSP/Korg MS-20 connection instructions show to do what you have done, though it seems like the s-trig signal is not functioning from the pads but work fine from the sequencer.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

miguelrivero

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:14:12 pm »
Thanks for the very good explained reply! I read about the specil trigger system the MS20 has, but got no solution from that. Could you extend on the crosswiring thing please? I guess it has to do with the cable soldering, hasn't it?

Xirso

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 04:02:35 pm »
On a previous topic:
http://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=85133.0

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:57:05 pm »
There is an invertion from our part inside of the MCCU.
MCC [Seq1 Gate : V trig] = BSP [Seq2 V/Oct]
MCC [Seq1 Gate : S trig] = BSP [Seq2 Hz/V]
MCC [Seq2 Pitch : V/Oct] = BSP [Seq1 V Trig]
MCC [Seq2 Pitch : Hz/V] = BSP [Seq1 S Trig]
This will be corrected on the next firmware version,
All apologies for the temporary inconvenience caused.

On the last firmware (from august 3), in the info, Arturia isn't mentioning a change about this behavior. Perhaps, the problem is coming from this? Sorry, I can't test, havn't a MS-20.  :-[

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:44:29 pm »
Thanks for the very good explained reply! I read about the specil trigger system the MS20 has, but got no solution from that. Could you extend on the crosswiring thing please? I guess it has to do with the cable soldering, hasn't it?

Yes, it involves soldering, specifically crossing the earth and the live at one end of the patch cable (desolder the sleave and tip then resoldering them opposite to how they were.  That said, Xirso's post did explain a bit of why the triggering is odd with an MS-20, so the soldering iron may not be needed.

On the last firmware (from august 3), in the info, Arturia isn't mentioning a change about this behavior. Perhaps, the problem is coming from this? Sorry, I can't test, havn't a MS-20.  :-[

I'm fairly busy right now, but I have a couple of new synths showing next week and will need to rewire my rig, so when that happens I'll hook up the MS-20 have a go at triggering it with the info you pointed to in mind.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Hath

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 05:38:51 pm »
Try switching to v-trig, I got my Ms-20 working fine.

miguelrivero

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:11:00 pm »
Now the MS-20 triggers ok. Thanks guys!

Steinberger

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2015, 10:28:34 pm »
Wondering what the current known state of the BSP in regard to CV/Gate using Hz/V and S Trig is with MS series. I tried it last night with my MS-20M and crazy things started to happen; stuck gate, stuck pads when hitting pads past the pitch range. It also didn't appear to want to go back to the V/Oct V Trig settings at first then later self-corrected. Keep in mind that I unplugged cables before making the changes each time. Finally the whole thing stabilized but that was trippy. Similar thing happened to the drum sequencer after firmware update then it self-corrected after a few minutes.

Does this particular config issue still exist in the latest BSP firmware/MCC?
Is there some special procedure I'm supposed to follow?
Am I holding it wrong? :/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:32:15 pm by Steinberger »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines