April 30, 2024, 01:19:49 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi in problem/question  (Read 3489 times)

RichMakeGame

Midi in problem/question
« on: July 21, 2015, 03:15:46 am »
When the bsp is stopped or recording, midi in to a sequencer works fine. When the bsp is playing normally though, midi in changes the transposition instead. This makes it hard to prepare a melody to record because you cant play it while the track is playing

From the manual it seems you are supposed to specify a transposition port and channel, but with those set to values different to the midi channel im using, it still transposes rather than letting me play via midi

Is this a bug?

chapelierfou

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Midi in problem/question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:25:35 am »
it sounds like a bug to me, yeah.
Still a lot to get fixed !

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:26 pm »
You can set in the MCC input and ouput channel for sequences and also a transposition channel.
You can record on a sequence the input channel (playing with a keyboard).
When you play your sequence if you send MIDI notes on the sequence's input channel OR in the transposition channel it will transpose the sequence (latch or not depending to your setting).
If you want to play without transposing the sequence, you've to change the keyboard's MIDI output channel.

RichMakeGame

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 05:41:17 pm »
Hi, thanks very much for your reply! I know you guys must be really busy. I sympathise a lot that you at Arturia have worked really hard on the bsp and people are already making feature request lists. You're doing a great job!

Can i just confirm that theres no way to play the beatstep pro via midi (as if you were playing the pads) when the bsp is playing? Your suggestion of changing the keyboard midi channel woild seem to cause the bsp to no longer respond to the keyboard

If thats the case its a real shame, as its common practice to jam along to a playing sequence before committing and recording the melody - something you can do on the pads just fine. It would be ideal if midi in on a sequence acted exactly as if you were playing the pads

Thanks!

RichMakeGame

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:59:38 pm »
Hi, just one more note- the current functionality also means you cant hold a step while seq is playing and press a midi note to set the step note.

if you want to use a midi keyboard at the moment instead of pads it feels pretty unworkable :(

the midi input transpose isn't latching like the pads, so its not that useful anyway (pretty please make it an option to disable and use midi keyboard the same way as pads!)

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 12:06:24 pm »
Hi,
Thanks. We can't do the same as with Pads due to cv out and technical specifications. A solution is to mute the seq.
For example (your keyboard send midi on the seq1's input channel):
press play on the BSP,
mute seq1,
play with your keyboard (it will play through seq1),
then press rec (it will record your mel on seq1)
and then unmute (you won't be able to play with your kb through seq1 but you'll hear your recorded mel).
Hope it will suit to your set up

Valentin Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 01:28:58 pm »
the midi input transpose isn't latching like the pads, so its not that useful anyway (pretty please make it an option to disable and use midi keyboard the same way as pads!)
You can choose in the MCC transposition latch on or Off

RichMakeGame

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi Valentin! Thanks for the reply, i wouldn't have thought to try muting the sequence - that works great i can happily live with this workaround :) you've been very helpful. I will mention this elsewhere too in case it's useful to anyone else

About the latching- i'm sure i remember switching it on in the mcc- the pad transposition latches for me but not midi transpose. its not something I personally intend to use, maybe others will weigh in

Thanks again and keep up the good work :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines