April 28, 2024, 11:30:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Commence Drooling!  (Read 13092 times)

thracks

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Commence Drooling!
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:45:39 pm »
Just saw the screenshot and details of the new MMV 2.0 over at sonicstate.com. It looks awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on it! Congrats Arturia.

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1605
G5 Dual 2.3
OS 10.4.8
Digital Performer 5.11
Live 6.05
MMV 2.0
ARP 2600V
2408 MK3/MK1 PCI 424

dzy88p

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Commence Drooling!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 05:07:17 pm »
"This upgrade is free to all registered users"!  Schweet!!!!

Meffy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Just a skunk
Commence Drooling!
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 02:14:30 am »
*jawdrop*

I nearly thought it was a joke when a message appeared about this upgrade on KvR. Then I saw this post and visited the link thracks provided (for which: thanks!).

A major version upgrade free for all existing owners of the previous version? That's rare and wonderful. Last time I got this kind of surprise, it was when Fractal Design still owned Painter... bought Painter 2 at a close-out price, and they sent me full versions of 3 and 3.1 at no charge. (Minus the actual metal paint can the retail versions came in, but with manuals and all the little throw-in goodies.) That was the mid-1990s! :-D

I was expecting to have to spend around $100 to upgrade to MMV2, whenever it appeared. That "future money" is now earmarked for CS-80V. A small way to reward the company that rewarded me, while getting a synth I've wanted for a long time.

Arturia friends: a hearty thank you! You seem to have added nearly every module and feature anyone asked for -- everything I wanted and more. You're giving us a fine Christmas in August. This gains you BIG customer loyalty points with me!

My golly... you've even given the modulation jack strip its own little cabinet. A small thing but I appreciate that. Seeing all those jacks mounted edge-on in a wooden panel gave me the creeps. :-D

Meffy

Meffy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Just a skunk
Commence Drooling!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 03:16:08 am »
Let's see how many items from the Administrator's (Xavier's?) wish list poll made it into 2.0...

[edit] I've revised the list to include Xavier's reply. :-) What an impressive list it is!

- Patch change within the sequencer host (Cubase, Sonar, Logic...) [No]

- External audio input [Yes]

- Enhance Osc,Filter,Envelope up to the miniMg V quality [Yes]

- Sample and Hold [Yes]

- Undo latest patch modification with a shortcut (Ctrl+Z) [No]

- Inverter function for the waveforms [Yes]

- "note off" function on the sequencer [Yes]

- Schmitt trigger (envelope follower) [Yes]

- One-screen synthesizer (scrolling window) [Yes]

- Ring modulator [Yes]

Items not on the list (though many were requested otherwise):

- Bode frequency shifter [Yes]

- Formant filter [Yes]

- Phaser [Yes]

- Unison [Yes]

- Soft clipping selectable at mixer-channel level. [Yes]

Meffy

MickGael

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.danieljslewis.com/
Commence Drooling!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 05:36:48 pm »
A Free updgrade? WIth all those goodies?

I simply could not be happier!

Well, actually I could (but just a tad)...

As I look at the revamped GUI the preset selectors still seem far to small. I was hoping that the upgrade would include a bigger and "easier to grab" preset GUI - as found on the CS-80v and mininMg.

But as fantastic a boon to usability as that would be, I want to say THANK YOU Arturia for not charging for the upgrade.

That is very decent - and saavy business, I would add.  ;)

Thanks!

AhappyUser

Well done Arturia
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2004, 01:52:00 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to agree with most of what has been written in this thread.  Arturia releasing version 2 as a free upgrade is generous and does go toward encouraging me to purchase their other products.  I would like to see which parts of the wish list have been fulfilled but I would rather wait a month and find out myself than add to the workload of the developers by asking them to tell us.   As regards the drooling, perhaps Arturia could market a souvenir sponge with logo or plastic cover for my PC's keyboard :lol:

As well as the questions raised so far, I'll be interested to find out:

If versions 1.2 and 2.0 can coexist on the same computer.  (In case 2.0 turns out to be overall a bigger CPU user than 1.2,  or there has been a functionality trade off,  or there is a bug and I need to fall back to 1.2)

Will 2.0 be able to import 1.2 patches that I've created ?

And while, I'm here I might as well start a wish list for version 3 :wink:
  The patch cables are such a powerful metaphor for controlling the MMV that for a moment I thought of patching a module from one instance to a module of a separate instance, just as I can in version 2 take the audio output from one instance and use it as input to a second instance.  Science fiction ?  Only the developers know for sure :lol:

Anyway,  A big well done to Arturia in anticipation.

AhappyUser

Well done Arturia
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:53:07 pm »
I would like to take this opportunity to agree with most of what has been written in this thread.  Arturia releasing version 2 as a free upgrade is generous and does go toward encouraging me to purchase their other products.  I would like to see which parts of the wish list have been fulfilled but I would rather wait a month and find out myself than add to the workload of the developers by asking them to tell us.   As regards the drooling, perhaps Arturia could market a souvenir sponge with logo or plastic cover for my PC's keyboard :lol:

As well as the questions raised so far, I'll be interested to find out:

If versions 1.2 and 2.0 can coexist on the same computer.  (In case 2.0 turns out to be overall a bigger CPU user than 1.2,  or there has been a functionality trade off,  or there is a bug and I need to fall back to 1.2)

Will 2.0 be able to import 1.2 patches that I've created ?

And while, I'm here I might as well start a wish list for version 3 :wink:
  The patch cables are such a powerful metaphor for controlling the MMV that for a moment I thought of patching a module from one instance to a module of a separate instance, just as I can in version 2 take the audio output from one instance and use it as input to a second instance.  Science fiction ?  Only the developers know for sure :lol:

Anyway,  A big well done to Arturia in anticipation.

xavier

Commence Drooling!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 08:57:19 am »
Thank you very much for all these comments

1.2 and 2.0 version can coexist, and 1.2 patches can be load on 2.0 (just adjust the number of polyphony and the soft clip, all the 1.2 patches will be in mono, 1 voice of polyphony,  no soft clipping)

for those who wanted changing patches within the sequencer track : I am very sorry.  This feature seems to buggy for the moment, but I still working on it (further product, further update)

So for the remaining question on V 2.0:

_Patch change within the sequencer host (Cubase, Sonar, Logic...) [No]
- Enhance Osc,Filter,Envelope up to the miniMg V quality [Yes]
- Undo latest patch modification with a shortcut (Ctrl+Z) [No]
- Inverter function for the waveforms [Yes]
- "note off" function on the sequencer [Yes]

Best regards
Xavier

Meffy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Just a skunk
Commence Drooling!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 03:22:06 pm »
Xavier, thank you so much for your reply. I've updated my listing post above -- you've answered every question I had.

Arturia has added nearly every feature and enhancement the users asked for, and many more. Out of fifteen requests your score is thirteen, and of the remaining two, it sounds as if one might appear in a later version. Amazing.

This update gets more impressive every day! Carly Simon's "Anticipation" keeps playing in my mind's jukebox. :-)

Many thanks,

Meffy

rictheobscene

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.ghettoanalogue.com
Very good
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 06:52:39 pm »
I can see how bank / patch change could be a real pain in the neck to sort out on a soft synth, especially accounting for user created banks. Since a user can organize patches any he/she wants to, it can be a real challenge to accomodate all the combinations.

So tonight, I will hoist my pint of Moosehead in Arturia's honor before tipping it back. (This kind of like the rubber ball thing, but only different.)

rictheobscene

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.ghettoanalogue.com
Very good
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2004, 06:53:14 pm »
I can see how bank / patch change could be a real pain in the neck to sort out on a soft synth, especially accounting for user created banks. Since a user can organize patches any he/she wants to, it can be a real challenge to accomodate all the combinations.

So tonight, I will hoist my pint of Moosehead in Arturia's honor before tipping it back. (This kind of like the rubber ball thing, but only different.)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines