April 29, 2024, 01:31:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pitch bend smoothing?  (Read 1839 times)

FlowerP

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Pitch bend smoothing?
« on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »
Using the JP8 template on Origin Desktop with only one oscillator audible, both filters open and PB depth set to 3, I tried making fast, full scale pitch bends on a MIDI controller (GEM S3). This caused clearly audible artifacts, probably some kind of quantisation artifacts. When I did the same test (via MIDI from GEM S3) with a Nord Modular G2 there were no artifacts at all. If time allows, I'll post a recording of the PB artifact later this week. It's not a very nice sound.

Does Origin smooth incoming MIDI PB?

Are any other MIDI input event types smoothed? AT? CC?

Niccolo

• Administrator
  • Arturia developer
Re: Pitch bend smoothing?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »
Theoretically the modules smooth all their inputs, so I am surprised you have this problem. We will check it here, in the meantime a recording of these articfacts would be welcome!

FlowerP

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Pitch bend smoothing?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 10:42:34 pm »
OK, here is a short recording. First I recorded a MIDI track with two notes and some pitch bends. Then I sent that track to some of my synths and recorded the audio output.

This is the MIDI file.

This is audio from the following synths (sorted by most -> least pitch bend audio artefacts):

1. Arturia Origin
2. Creamware Minimax ASB
3. Yamaha TG77
4. Roland XV-5050
5. Clavia Nord Modular G2

All synths used a single oscillator with triangle wave (or in the case of TG77 something similar to a triangle wave) directly to the output or through an open filter without resonance. All effects were disabled. Pitch bend depth was 3 semitones. All synth recordings were normalized to -1 dB.

The artefacts are hard to hear on my lo-fi computer speakers, but are clearly audible through headphones or my monitor speakers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines