April 27, 2024, 11:20:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MMV developers please consider automating patch change  (Read 9315 times)

daveoo

MMV developers please consider automating patch change
« on: January 30, 2004, 01:02:43 am »
If I understand the manual correctly the MMV will not respond to a midi patch change request from a DXI or VST tool such as SONAR.  (There are references in the manual about not automating cable changes).

I would ask the developers to consider implementing this functionality.  A patch change is possible from the MMV patch menus, so all the information for a patch change is available.  I would think that programmatically a patch change request event from a menu would be much like a patch change request event from SONAR.

I would be willing to live with limitations on the instrument change ( such limitations could be documented in a FAQ ) for example if MMV had to stop midi processing for a couple of seconds during a patch change.

What do I want this functionality for ?  I like to compose using SONAR and MMV is my instrument of choice.  However at the moment I'm using one track per patch and I either interrupt my creative flow bouncing a midi track to audio or trying to work around the processing overheads of having  several instances of SONAR tracks with MMV waiting to be used.

Last I would like to say a big thank you to the developers.  As a teenager, I lusted for a miniMg and never dreamed that I might have a single MMV at my fingertips.   I love the MMV and its ingenious and classic interface.

AzureCrystal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.azureth.com
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:24:33 pm »
I must point out you are wrong here, I routinely send patch, sub-bank, and bank changes to my MMV successfully using Sonar. The MMV DOES respond to patch-change, MSB and LSB midi controller data which is what you need to change your patch......

daveoo

SONAR controlling MMV more info please
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 05:36:52 pm »
Would you please be so kind as to tell me what steps you take in SONAR to achieve a patch change on the MMV from within SONAR.  I'm thinking of the SONAR top menu Insert->Patch/Bank change.  This opens a window in SONAR with various options.  I'm doing some experimenting with the options but have not yet had success.

Additionally, are there any particular steps I need to take with the various parameters of the midi track as seen in SONAR's track view ?

By the way which version of SONAR are you using ?

My apologies to the developers if indeed we are talking about the same thing and it is possible to change the MMV patch with a midi command from SONAR.

I notice that on page 123 of the manual for VST synths, the last paragraph states a limitation on patch automation.  I do not see this limitation document in the DXI section on page 127.  I wonder if how I installed the MMV has any bearing on this matter ?

Finally, the way this thread is developing perhaps it could be continued in the technical discussion forum with the thread titled "MMV SONAR patch changing".

daveoo

SONAR controlling MMV more info please
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 05:38:42 pm »
Would you please be so kind as to tell me what steps you take in SONAR to achieve a patch change on the MMV from within SONAR.  I'm thinking of the SONAR top menu Insert->Patch/Bank change.  This opens a window in SONAR with various options.  I'm doing some experimenting with the options but have not yet had success.

Additionally, are there any particular steps I need to take with the various parameters of the midi track as seen in SONAR's track view ?

My apologies to the developers if indeed we are talking about the same thing and it is possible to change the MMV patch with a midi command from SONAR.

I notice that on page 123 of the manual for VST synths, the last paragraph states a limitation on patch automation.  I do not see this limitation document in the DXI section on page 127.  I wonder if how I installed the MMV has any bearing on this matter ?

Finally, the way this thread is developing perhaps it could be continued in the technical discussion forum with the thread titled "MMV SONAR patch changing".

AzureCrystal

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.azureth.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 06:28:10 pm »
Hi David, please read my responses below:

Would you please be so kind as to tell me what steps you take in SONAR to achieve a patch change on the MMV from within SONAR. I'm thinking of the SONAR top menu Insert->Patch/Bank change. This opens a window in SONAR with various options. I'm doing some experimenting with the options but have not yet had success.

I do patch changes the same way, but I use "Midi Yoke" as my virtual midi port and use MMV standalone, maybe that is why the patch change  actually works ??? You can get Midi-Ox, which includes the virtual midi port here:
http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/MIDI-OX/

No, I just set the midi port to "Midi Yoke NT:1"

Sonar v 1.3.1

I notice that on page 123 of the manual for VST synths, the last paragraph states a limitation on patch automation. I do not see this limitation document in the DXI section on page 127. I wonder if how I installed the MMV has any bearing on this matter ?

I don't get good results using MMV as a DXi, maybe try using it as standalone....

Good Idea !!

Warm regards, -Steve
My Progressive Rock Band: http://www.azureth.com

daveoo

Wait ...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 11:43:50 pm »
Arturia support  have confirmed to me that DXI patch change currently does not work.
===
The DXi instance of the MMV does not receive program change MIDI events.
It seems to be currently a limitation of the DXi wrapper we are using to
provide DXi compatibility with our products. We will take a deeper look
into this when working on new updates for all products, and try to
activate the reception for program changes when in DXi mode.
===
I can confirm that patch changes to external instances of MMV do work as described by AzureCrystal.

I suspect that Arturia will be true to their word and look into the problem since the MMV is not their only product to exhibit this limitation.  I tried the same tests on the demo CS-80V and got the same result as for the MMV

Even with the limitation, it is clear that these pieces of software are labours of love.   Respect to the artists and programmers who produced this software.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines