April 27, 2024, 08:07:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Learning To Use The MMV  (Read 3592 times)

ggm1960

Learning To Use The MMV
« on: July 16, 2009, 04:28:05 am »
Except for some fooling around I've done with Reason I don't have any experience with synth programming. I've been reading the MMV manual but find it a little hard to follow.

Is there another resource(s) for trying to get up to speed with the MMV?

Sweep

Re: Learning To Use The MMV
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 11:24:57 am »
No resources that I know of, but I think the best tutorial is really the patches supplied with the MMV.

Try fiddling with the modules that are patched into any of the programs you find interesting, and quite quickly you'll find yourself getting familiar with the way this synth works. After doing that with a few different patches you'll find yourself wondering what would happen if you patched in different modules.

The beauty of it is that you can't really go wrong. If you get into problems, all you have to do is reload the original patch from memory and you're back where you started. And anything interesting you find along the way you can simply save as a new patch.

After doing that, the manual will probably make a lot more sense, as well.

Antoine

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:15:54 pm »
If I could advise some specially worthy readings, that would be the "Synth Secrets" series of articles from Gordon Reid, which started publication in Sound-On-Sound in May 1999.
This is a major effort of vulgarization towards synthesis fundamentals (and much beyond), with minimum mathematics.

The Mg Modular V, being a full modular synthesizer, is a perfect tool to practice such theory. The "Synth Secrets" in one hand, the MMV in the other hand, and the MMV user's manual in a third hand, in a short time you will get pretty nice analog synthesis skills, which is *the* key to synth programming (inspiration being another subject).

And as we live in the best of all possible worlds, these articles are freely readable online (Secret #1 starts at the bottom of the page).

Hope this helps  :)
ex-Arturian

ggm1960

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:32:49 pm »
And as we live in the best of all possible worlds, these articles are freely readable online (Secret #1 starts at the bottom of the page).

Hope this helps  :)

This certainly sounds like a worthwhile endeavor. I must set aside some time to explore that path. Thanks!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines