May 01, 2024, 10:48:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Dongles and hubs  (Read 3661 times)

Viv Savage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Dongles and hubs
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »
A laptop has a finite number of USB ports, mine has two. One is connected to the MIDI/Audio interface, the other to a hub.

In that hub there is an iLok and a Syncrosoft key. Great, were it not for the fact that sometimes Jupiter won't start because the key isn't found...

The license control program doesn't see it either. So just for fun I connect the Syncrosoft key directly in a USB port and it is found. When I put it back in the hub it isn't found.

Do a restart, and it is found. Why the erratic behavior of the Syncrosoft key?

Antoine

Re: Dongles and hubs
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 09:12:41 am »
Self-alimented hubs do not ensure correct Syncrosoft USB-eLicenser operation, especially on laptops where the current source cannot be constant enough.
In your situation, please consider using an externally powered USB hub (with its own power supply).
ex-Arturian

Viv Savage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:36 am »
Self-alimented hubs do not ensure correct Syncrosoft USB-eLicenser operation, especially on laptops where the current source cannot be constant enough.
What is self-alimented? The ones that draw power from the computer?

In your situation, please consider using an externally powered USB hub (with its own power supply).
This is an externally powered USB hub.

Antoine

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 01:28:00 pm »
What is self-alimented? The ones that draw power from the computer?
Precisely.

This is an externally powered USB hub.
Well, drop an eye to the power management panel, possibly turn any energy-saving off, disable the "sleep" function and any other thing that could prevent the USB signal path to be disrupted.
ex-Arturian

Viv Savage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:08:50 am »
I will check it out, but as far as I know there is no sleeping on my computers.

Viv Savage

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 04:58:44 pm »
The plot thickens... I start the new MiniMg and the dongle is found.
I quit MM.
I start the License Control Center (not one minute after the Mg is done), and it can't find the dongle.
Ok.... Pull out the dongle and reinsert it. Refresh? No dice, no dongle...
Start Jupiter awaiting the crash, and yep... As expected, it crashes because of the missing dongle.

By the way, as  I thought the sleep mode is off. I have no clue as to what is killing the USB signal path.

P.S.: I see that I didn't mention it before, but I am on Apple. The iMac is the machine I am talking about, the laptop (MacBook Pro) is the one I use for rehearsals, gigs, etc.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines