April 27, 2024, 08:57:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: My First Mg Modular V Piece  (Read 6290 times)

Poodyglitz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
My First Mg Modular V Piece
« on: November 08, 2008, 06:48:07 pm »
Just installed the software this week. After getting over a slight technical hurdle, I took the software for a spin. I originally learned on a Mg Mark 3 back in the '70s, so it feels weird to be using presets. Anyway, you can listen to it here:

http://www.macjams.com/song/47534

bg

• Beta-testers
Re: My First Mg Modular V Piece
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:02:22 pm »
I like this.  Just the right rate of change.  Good sounds.

Sweep

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 11:10:48 pm »
Great - it's good to hear what people are doing with these instruments.

I originally learned on a Mg Mark 3 back in the '70s, so it feels weird to be using presets.

I bet it's weird using a Mg Modular that stays in tune as well. ;D

Being able to save patches is a godsend, though. I used to have a Korg MS20. Setting up a patch wasn't so bad. It was getting back to exactly the same sound later in the piece when I'd been using other setting in the meantime that was a hassle. It interfered with intuitive musicianship. The Virtual MS20 removed that hassle once and for all. With something like a Mg Modular that problem's magnified, obviously.

I had a quick glance at the comments while I was listening to your piece, and I noticed your comment about interaction with the knobs. I'd definitely recommend using a MIDI controller with the MMV (indeed, with any softsynth). It opens up the control element and makes the whole thing much more organic and responsive.

Nice to see a fellow EMS synthi user (former user?) as well. I learned synthesis on a VCS3 many years ago.

Anyway, keep them coming.

Oh, BTW my MMV piece is here -  http://sweep.infinite9ths.com/ - the one called Rainfall in Kyoto. The site is a sub-site of Brad Gilbert's infinite9ths.com, where you can find his MMV pieces as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:22:49 pm by Sweep »

Poodyglitz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:28:55 am »
I like this.  Just the right rate of change.  Good sounds.

There's nothing like the Mg sound. It seems very authentic.

Thanks for listening.

Poodyglitz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:44:32 am »
Great - it's good to hear what people are doing with these instruments.

I bet it's weird using a Mg Modular that stays in tune as well. ;D

Being able to save patches is a godsend, though. I used to have a Korg MS20. Setting up a patch wasn't so bad. It was getting back to exactly the same sound later in the piece when I'd been using other setting in the meantime that was a hassle. It interfered with intuitive musicianship. The Virtual MS20 removed that hassle once and for all. With something like a Mg Modular that problem's magnified, obviously.

I had a quick glance at the comments while I was listening to your piece, and I noticed your comment about interaction with the knobs. I'd definitely recommend using a MIDI controller with the MMV (indeed, with any softsynth). It opens up the control element and makes the whole thing much more organic and responsive.

Nice to see a fellow EMS synthi user (former user?) as well. I learned synthesis on a VCS3 many years ago.

Anyway, keep them coming.

Oh, BTW my MMV piece is here -  http://sweep.infinite9ths.com/ - the one called Rainfall in Kyoto. The site is a sub-site of Brad Gilbert's infinite9ths.com, where you can find his MMV pieces as well.

Yes, it's nice to have stable oscillators. Although the concept of drivers is new to me. I'm used to plugging a VCO into VCF, then a VCA. The patches I looked closely at use these driver things. For me, patchable analog machines were basically for recording. There were times that I wish I'd written down some of the patches I created on the Mg. I did one that ended up being having a specific rhythm that had subtle rhythmic variations.

I'm sure a MIDI controller would give me access to the controls in the Mg's virtual keyboard at the bottom. Does the Arturia software also allow for automation of all the other knobs above? If I wanted to slightly change filtering in the 8-step sequencer over time (like in that Pink Floyd piece on "Dark Side..."), would I be able to do it? I'm using Protools LE. Would that feature be available, say, in regular Protools or Logic?

Your piece was very nice. Cool Koto sound. And of course, there's the ring modulated gong sound. Nice how it goes from percussive to ambient. Is it the only full MMV piece you've done? I really miss this doing this kind of music. A lot less demanding that trying to make sense in a song. Looking forward to doing more. Thanks for sharing and listening.

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:16:41 am »
Regarding the MIDI controller - yes, you'd be able to manually sweep the filter as you've described.

I can't comment about Protools or Logic, though, as I don't use either of those. There have been some compatibility issues with third-party software with the Arturia synths. (In fact these forums tend to be mostly people blaming Arturia for things that work perfectly well until you interface with some other piece of software that Arturia didn't design and have no control over.) Amendments to the Arturia synths appear periodically, but that work is of course fitted in with the new development work they're doing - and have to do to stay viable as a small company.

If you check the FAQ on the main site I think there are known issues and maybe workarounds, but as none of these things have ever affected me I haven't checked.

The MIDI learn feature is described in section 4.3.5 of the Manual, page 60, BTW. I'm using the hardware controller of my Virtual Korg MS20. Several people have mentioned a Behringer controller that has quite a lot of controls at a good price.

Thanks for your comments on Rainfall in Kyoto. Yes, it's the only completely MMV piece I've done, though I've used the MMV on a lot of other recordings, mixed with other instruments. I've also done a completely 2600V piece that I'll put on the site at some point, and I'm intending to do a piece completely with the MiniMg V as well.

Melodious Rex

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:11:15 pm »
Excellent.  It has a nice Tangerine Dream vibe to it.  I really like it. 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines