April 27, 2024, 09:05:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mg Modular V in action: website  (Read 6247 times)

infinite9ths

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://infinite9ths.com
Mg Modular V in action: website
« on: April 28, 2008, 02:45:21 pm »
This is a collection of 7 ambient tracks I've recorded over the last couple of years using the MMV.

Except for one small passage in one piece where I used a real MiniMg, all of the content was created using the MMV. The only other external processor used was the TC Reverb plug-in on the Tascam SX-1 LE digital studio.

The site http://infinite9ths.com is in flash and a bit hefty, so a high speed connection would be best. The tracks are no less than 10 minutes each and stream live with WimpyPlayer in their entirety.

All tracks are mp3 encoded at 320 kbps and mixed for headphones at low to medium volume.

The textures that this instrument is capable of are astounding and I can't imagine ever finding an end to the possibilities. I hope this presentation will be helpful to those considering purchasing and to those who have but haven't given it a good test drive yet!

Peace to you all!

Brad

Sweep

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 04:31:50 pm »
Thanks. Nice to hear someone making music with this instrument. So few of the posts on here are from people actually playing something creative.

I'm just in the process of downloading and listening, but one thing springs to mind so far:

I think I can appreciate what you're doing. The slow waves at specific frequencies work well, and the textures are nicely done. But I wonder if some gentle and subtle modulated stuff might add to the overall effect by providing variety without detracting from the gentle, unhurried effect you're getting?  It may provide variety for people who can't easily give in to the slow flowing of the music, and it'd help focus on the shifting textures.

I find the MMV works very well with interesting and subtle modulations - in fact all the Arturia synths do. The 2600V is brilliant for very organic modulations. Using the sequencer to program subtle changes can be effective - sequencing other parameters than the pitch changes that people usually use it for. Like a programmable LFO. Delicate chimes and tinkles tend to work well for this kind of music, I find.

infinite9ths

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 06:19:14 pm »
Thank you for your comments, Sweep.

This is great advice. I don't want a piece to become a dirge, in spite of the fact that all of these were recorded while seeing my Dad through chemo from 06 until he passed in January. I always try to provide at least one silver lining in an otherwise somber piece.

I actually recorded some of these to help me sleep while dealing with the impending loss. I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep while mixing at 2AM!

Most of them were done in two stereo passes with lots of tracks to spare. This synth is so lush that I do tend to force myself to keep it more sparse. It is a learning process and each time I flip on the equipment it becomes a new adventure. I absolutely love it!

Your advice is well taken and I would love nothing more than to hear what you would overdub or detract. Feel free to do so. I'm all ears!

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 09:55:05 am »
I'm sorry to hear about your dad. The same thing happened to mine. That's a long time to be having chemo, though. It must have been difficult.

I think you're right to keep things fairly sparse. It's tempting to use tracks just because you can, sometimes. Leaving space is important.

I find it can be helpful to set a track running and only play occasionally, then play occasionally again on another track, and so on. The result is that the same sounds don't recur too often, and I have time to focus on my response to the music instead of being too much in it. I set the track and my instrument, and then take time setting my state of mind. That seems to work.

I'll spend some time listening to your pieces and then see if I can add anything. I'll let you know if that happens. I'm not sure whether I'll hit any problems with the tuning intervals you've used, but it'll be interesting to see. I'll enjoy spending some time getting to know the music in any case.

infinite9ths

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 05:14:49 pm »
Thanks for your kind words, Sweep. I'm sorry for your loss as well. It sucks, doesn't it. Yes, it was grueling with three separate rounds, oxyplatinum and all, yet he had a strong will and made us all laugh all the way through hospice. Perhaps the two of them brought us together!

It sounds like you do pretty much the same thing as me with regard to the tracking. When I find that a chord or sequence pattern is appealing I'll often times keep it repeating rather than forcing an embellishment directly. This way I can let the other tracks have a chance to wrap around the passage(s) for enhancement.

About the tunings. For this project I've retuned the oscillators to match the  reference tones for each note frequency of the Solfegio scale. It would be easier to give you the patches rather than start from scratch. Let me know if you are interested and I'll get them to you. It's been a while and I'm not sure, but there must have been a reason I didn't just use the global tune. If this was possible and I did it the hard way, shame on me! It was fun doing it, regardless. I do like a challenge.

Just the fact that you've listened and responded is awesome. Thanks. And I would love to hear some of your stuff, too.

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 11:26:14 pm »
Quote from: "infinite9ths"
Yes, it was grueling with three separate rounds, oxyplatinum and all, yet he had a strong will and made us all laugh all the way through hospice.

That sounds like facing the situation with spirit, which is always worthwhile.

Yes, if you'd like to send me the patches I'll look at them and see what I can do to go with what you've recorded.

I'm on broadband so I can accept a large file, so long as our respective ISPs will handle files the size of the patch bank.

There's no hurry, as I'm going to be busy over the next couple of weeks, but I'll try working on this when I can.

I played the rest of your tracks earlier today, and I'll make a CD of them tonight.

My download page is no longer available, unfortunately, and I haven't yet set up a MySpace site, but I can send you some tracks as individual MP3s. I've got a piece done entirely with the MMV and one done entirely with the 2600V, among others.

infinite9ths

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 06:17:01 am »
That's great. I would love to hear what you're doing.

I just got bombed with 4 house painting contracts that will be keeping me busy the next (who knows how long)!

I agree, no hurry. This is fun stuff and shouldn't feel like work.

I placed the bank on the site here: http://infinite9ths.com/sweep/sweep.html
You can email me from the site to let me know you got it so I can delete it.

Don't work too hard!

dbouch

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Mg Modular V in action: website
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 03:10:24 am »
very nice, man.  while i agree with the comments others have posted, i feel you need to be acknowledged for actually creating something and seeing it through to at least this point.  the temptation with all the technology is simply to read manuals and tweek and listen to presets and read some more and, and, and..... and never actually accomplish anything.  so, good for you.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines