April 28, 2024, 06:22:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Stupid Question: V or Mini Mg?  (Read 9000 times)

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Stupid Question: V or Mini Mg?
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:57:42 pm »
Looking for those Mg sounds, say, Rick Wakeman used with YES.

Should I be looking at the Mg Modular V or the Mini Mg?

Sound samples would seem to suggest the V, but don't want to buy the "wrong" one.

Thanks!

Cat

Sweep

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 04:13:09 pm »
Check the main Arturia website. The demo versions should still be available to download.

To get close to Rick Wakeman's Mg sounds from his days with Yes you'd be better getting the Mini, probably, as that was what he was using.

Regarding the modular, though, it will replicate Mini sounds of course, and someone I know who recorded with the Mini in the 70s said he'd replicated one of his classic Mini sounds with the MMV, including the echo delay he'd used.

The difference with the modular depends on the `thickness' of the sound. While any Mini patch can of course be programmed, the Mini sounds thicker than the modular somehow, so thicker Mini patches won't be as strong on the modular.

That's to be expected as that was the situation with the original hardware Mini and Modular.

So in short, check out the demo versions and that should answer your questions. But the Mini is thicker if that's what you want, and closer to Wakeman's setup, while the MMV is far more versatile. I have both the Mini and the MMV, and the Mini certainly isn't replaced by the MMV. It has it's own special qualities.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask any more questions if you need to.

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:18:58 pm »
Appreciate your input...

From the DEMOs -- the composed examples, not the programs -- I would have gone with the "V."

Looks like it's the miniMg I want.

Cheers!

cat

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 11:07:09 pm »
From what you've said I'd advise you to spend a little more time experimenting with the demos.

You don't need to be a programming expert, so don't worry if you're not. Just fiddle about with settings you like the sound of. If the MMV seems dauntingly complicated, follow the connecting cables on the preset patches to see what modules are being used.

If you find yourself inclining towards the MMV, that may still be the instrument for you, whatever Rick Wakeman used.

Better still if you can buy both, of course, but if you can only get one then go with what your ears and your musicianship tell you, not with what `should' be the case.

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks again.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 11:31:43 pm »
Thanks again.

BTW, I found this on YouTube. That sound? That FAT sound you talked about? Well, there it is!

Should you be curious, here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6p41HBn2ic

Cheers!

Cat

Sweep

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 03:44:25 am »
Thanks for that.:)  I hadn't heard of that guy before.  Somehow he really reminds me of the guy in the `Mg Authorised Performer' picture - not the look of him, but the exuberance and expression he's putting into what he plays.

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 04:00:19 am »
Quik question...

You've purchased both the Mini Mg and the Mg Modular V... why?

Longer Q: in terms of the sounds you get, what's the advantage of have both (assuming it's in the budget)?

Thanks!

Cat

Sweep

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 12:32:15 pm »
[duplicate of next post]

Sweep

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 12:35:31 pm »
I bought the modular first, but then I checked out the demos. I played one note on the CS80V and thought `I've got to get one of these.' :D  I explored the demo a lot further and decided I definitely would, and I also liked the 2600V.

There was an offer on the Vintage collection, including all four synths, so buying that was cheaper than buying the CC80 and the 2600 separately. So I gave the extra MMV to a musician who could do something worthwhile with it, and I now had the MiniMg as well, which I hadn't originally intended to buy.

But when I explored the Mini I found it had something extra, in addition to what the MMV could do - and also something extra over my hardware Mg Voyager.

Of course it depends on what you need. My setup works for me and may not be what someone else may need. But I'm very glad circumstances led me to get the Mini as well. In fact the only thing I might do differently with hindsight would be the purchase of the `real' Mg. I'm very pleased with it, but if I was buying now I might go for the Creamware MiniMax instead. I know two former MiniMg players who've done that, and both are very pleased with it. It's polyphonic and it's cheaper than a Mg Voyager.

I think I've partly answered your second question. The Mini has a different character from the MMV, despite of course being more limited. In addition I like the arpeggiator, which is far more interactive than the MMV's sequencer in ways that are useful to me.

BTW my music download page includes pieces done entirely with the MMV and the 2600V. I'd like to add MiniMgV and CS80V pieces as well, and a Voyager track at some point:

www.myths-and-legends.org/andrew/

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 04:26:58 pm »
Hmmm... my last response didn't post...

A longer THANKS! later...

The link doesn't seem to be working. Any other way to access your music?

Cheers!

Cat

Sweep

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 11:16:42 pm »
Yes, the site seems to have been suspended. It's an old site that I've been on since about 2002, and most of it had been closed down gradually. Looks like I'd better get on with starting a MySpace site now. Glad I've found out what's happened to it, anyway.

I can send you the two Arturia pieces by email if you like.

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Please
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2008, 11:25:56 pm »
Please send your pieces! I've just made my e-mail public. Click on my profile and it should be there.

THANKS!

Cat

Moogedy Moog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 05:28:50 am »
You can actually replicate that thick MiniMg sound people speak of in Modular Mg, or that's at least true for the real thing.

I still have a MiniMg patch for the Modular Mg on a photo, it took me a while to figure out but I can guarantee it sounds 100% like a MiniMg. If you feel like giving it a go, let me now and I'll get the patch scanned, but keep in mind that it might not sound as good due to MMV not being that faithful to the real Modular Mg in it's current state of development.

Sweep

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 12:16:34 pm »
Thanks. That's interesting. The tonal character of the two synths does differ, but the modular is of course far more versatile.

But why not just tell us what you did if it's a problem to send the patch? Did you use a lot of oscillator detune to thicken the sound? That would produce a thicker sound, of course, but at the risk of being a bit muddy rather than creamy. Or did you do something else?

catsongs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Patch
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 03:13:51 pm »
Yes, would be interested in the patch. Have been leaning towards the Mini Mg -- at least for starters -- but may add the "V. And... would love the patch info.

Thanks!

Cat

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines