April 27, 2024, 11:59:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Line in, Line out and Hiss  (Read 5794 times)

Rogur

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Line in, Line out and Hiss
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:44:02 am »
Hello,

I received my MicroBrute today and have been using it for a few hours. I was testing it across the board and when I first turned the oscillator knobs all down to 0, it was clean, however now, despite nothing on the line input there is a heavy hiss noise which turns into strange sub harmonics when the brute factor is turned up - which could be admirable to generate different sounds - but I'm worried about not having the clean signal anymore. Is this normal?

Secondly, I noticed the line input and output are mono but all my cables are stereo jacks, would it damage the device if I were to insert a stereo jack in to the input and/or output?

Those aside, I love this synthesizer. I did however begin using right out of the box without waiting for it to warm up... I hope this won't cause any issues to it either.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 07:47:48 am by Rogur »

Computer Controlled

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Facebook Place
Re: Line in, Line out and Hiss
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 09:42:14 am »
It's an Analog Synth, analog synths are inherently noisy.  This is normal.  Inserting a stereo cable into a mono jack will not harm anything.
Stuff: SH-101 . aJuno-1/PG-300 . TB-3 . TR-8 . TT-303 . Korg ES2 . SQ-1 . BeatStep Pro . MSQ-100

Bruno@arturia

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 10:27:19 am »
if the input gain knob(on the back panel) is at high value, it will add some noise too.
Bruno
Arturia Hardware

Rogur

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:46:35 am »
Okay, I inserted stereo 1/4" jacks from the mixer into the input and the same from the output to the mixer but it was really resistant, I kind of had to force it in which was worrying.

I was concerned about the noise when the oscillator knobs were turned down to 0 because when I first tried it, there was no hiss or sub harmonics. I thought I later broke something :)

Thanks for the replies.

wacopacco

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:14 pm »
It is a tough plug in first few times on the brute. Should ease up after a while. Just plug in carefully and you're set.

Rogur

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:42 am »
No issues plugging stereo jacks and the heavy hiss issue has been eliminated, it appears to be more noticable through the headphone output, but with the line out the noise floor is below -100 even when plugged through preamps which is acceptable.

However, now I'm having MIDI sync issues, when I send 16th notes into the brute the notes jump and are completely out of sync like a random heavy swing. I'm using Ableton.

Thanks.

Rogur

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 02:29:50 pm »
The MIDI issue is driving me nuts. I think I've tried everything. I synced the MicroBrute to Ableton with precise latency adjustment but when sending MIDI back to the MicroBrute it struggles/stutters/jumps/skips notes when hitting 16th notes and it ocassionaly occurs with 8th notes. I tried a MIDI cable from my audio interface (firewire audio interface) into the MicroBrute thinking it might be a USB issue but the issue is the exact same. Any suggestions welcome. Cheers.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines