April 28, 2024, 02:15:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Getting Sequencer to Stop at Step 8 ?  (Read 10359 times)

Elhardt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Getting Sequencer to Stop at Step 8 ?
« on: March 14, 2006, 02:22:14 am »
I'm trying to trigger the sequencer from the keyboard and get the sequencer to play through its sequence just once then stop, no matter how long I hold down the key.  Yet I am unsuccessful.  I can't believe the sequencer doesn't seem to support this.  Is there something I'm overlooking?

The STOP trigger input allows all kinds of things to supposedly stop the sequencer but most just don't work.  I thought by selecting Step 8 as an input would do it, but no.  Envelopes don't work.  The trigger delay either stops it on the first step or not at all depending on its delay time.  I'm starting to think these may be bugs.  If there is a workaround, please let me know.  Thanks.

-Elhardt

smidijack

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Once thru
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 03:19:20 pm »
You'll love the workaround..

Just play the note for the duration you require!

Connected to [Keyboard - Keyboard Trigger Off]  of course.

Elhardt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 09:56:04 am »
That's not a very good work around, especially when the riff of notes is fast and near impossible to lift up at the right momment.  The sequencer has all of the functions on the panel to do it, it just doesn't work because of all the bugs in the sequencer, which is what I've found out with more experimenting.

-Elhardt

Sweep

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 01:44:59 pm »
Well I'm inclined to agree with Smidijack.  And if it's a very fast sequence, practice should help.

I'm amused that you seem to think this must be a bug in the software, simply because it doesn't do what you want it to.

Until you made the comment about not being able to lift your finger off the key fast enough I was puzzled over why you'd have this problem.  The only thing I could think of would be if you wanted to trigger more than one event from the same keyboard - for example playing a note and holding it for longer than the duration of the sequence.

It's worth talking abiout that anyway, as it may be useful for somebody reading this -

If you wanted to do that you could assign the sequencer on/off to a control knob via midi, and just turn off the sequencer by hand while continuing to hold the note. I've never needed to do that, but I've turned the sequencer on and off via Midi assignment on its own and it works fine.

The usual way to deal with speed issues with the original Modular was to record the synth and then alter the speed afterwards. That was a work-around for the original sluggish envelopes on the modular, among other things, if I recall rightly.

If you can't get the keying right, maybe you could record the sequence at half speed and then double it to the speed you want when you've got the passage you want to record.

Or if you need to play this live, you might be better doing what I've just suggested and then sampling the result, instead of playing it direct from the MMV.

Sweep

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 11:46:56 pm »
Ok, I've checked this with someone with a hardware modular.

The original 960 sequencer will play a sequence once and then stop.  When I checked the Arturia it wasn't quite the same as the spec for the Mg 960, but I managed to replicate the single sequence setup with a workaround patch.

If the sequencer off button is connected to the trigger delay module, and the uppermost `in' connector on the trigger delay is connected to sequencer step 8, the sequence can be triggered to play just once and then stop. Make sure the knob on the trigger delay is fully over to the left.

overState2007

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 06:20:28 pm »
Jesus, you guys!  Keep playing with it before

On the bottom of each sequencer column is the "next" knob.  To make it stop playing on note 8, turn that "next" knob of note 8 until it says "8".  Then, to make it still play the entire sequence even if you release the key before it finishes, disconnect the "keyboard - off" controller from the "sequencer off" switch.
[/I]

Sweep

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:07:10 pm »
That's odd. :D  That's the first thing I tried, and it didn't work. I've just tried it again and it still doesn't work.

Which version of the software are you using?

overState2007

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 01:55:12 pm »
The latest one, 2.2.  It can be a headache, I know.
[/I]

Sweep

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 02:17:08 pm »
Ah, that's the difference.  I've got 2.1

I hadn't even noticed there was an upgrade until now.  I may upgrade unless all 2.2 does is run better under sequencer programs I don't use - and run sequences once the easy way :D

Edit: Yep, good guess. :D  (I've just checked the website.)

One thing that's very weird, though. I've just looked at the demo video for the MMV, and the narrator pronounces the word `Mg' correctly twice, and then refers to Bob Mg and pronounces his name wrong. :D  He then refers to the modular again and pronunces `Mg' wrong again. Strange.

Now there's a grea idea for an update - an MMV that only works if you say the word `Mg' first, and pronounce it right. ;)

paganini

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
SEQ stop atfter 8
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 06:27:06 pm »
hi
I found a way to do that I don't know if it's what you're looking for
Here it is:
lest say at a 110 BPM with the SEQ OSC in MIDI sync and a tempo *4
Set the trigger for the SEQ Start to Keyboard trigger ON
SET the trigger for the SEQ Stop to Trigger delay 1
Now Set the Trigger delay 1201,97 ms
The Trigger on the trigger delay 1 should be connected to Keyboard Trigger ON
On the VCA connect the trigger to SEQ trigger
Hold the note for the duration of a complete run of the SEQ and it should stop at step 8 and reset at 1

Paganini

Gary Schank

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.schanklaw.com
Re: Getting Sequencer to Stop at Step 8 ?
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
I have been attempting to stop the sequencer after one run, but with no luck as well.  However, I am attempting to run a 16-step sequence, then stop.  To hold the note down with the Off-trigger to keyboard is of no use because I need hands free for other things.  I attempted two of the suggested ideas (use of the trigger delay, and setting the 8th step to #8), with no luck.  Please let me know if you have found an answer.  Thanks.

Gary Schank

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • http://www.schanklaw.com
Re: Getting Sequencer to Stop at Step 8 ?
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 12:11:02 am »
I stand corrected...the trigger delay on the sequencer step 8 works, but you must set the Trigger Delay to 219.97 ms.  I have not figured out how to do this with 16 steps.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines