April 28, 2024, 06:21:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: installing Instruments on MacOS  (Read 711 times)

skyfreak

• Apprentice
installing Instruments on MacOS
« on: June 01, 2023, 05:08:44 pm »
Hello community

This is my first post. Being italian native living in Germany I kindly ask to please bare with my English.

I am an absolute beginner, got a Keylab 61 MKii and use Ableton Live 11 Suite as well as the Arturia V Collection 8+9 upgrade on MacOS Ventura.
When installing the Instruments the first time I was not sure what, how and why so I installed all AUv2, VST, VST3.

If I do unterstand it right that is not needed for Ableton Live 11, as everything seems now triple in Ableton and only costs a lot of space.
Now I am stuck on how to clean that up and uninstall all unnecessary duplicate older stuff.

Any Help to get a newbie like me to the right pass is highly appreciated.

thx and rgds
da skyfreak

LBH

Re: installing Instruments on MacOS
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 08:03:43 pm »
Hello,

Your english is at least as good as mine. English is'nt my native language either.

The plugins does'nt use that much space. Have you checked and calculated the space? They all use the same resources, so it's very far from triple the space they use.
VST2 use around 22 Mb for each instrument, - it's the same for VST3, AAX use only kb's for each, so that's 20 Mb only in total for the applications in the current VC9. I'm on Windows, so i don't know how much space the AU use.
But in contrast NKS files that many don't need use 1-2 GB space. For me that's more space than all the VC9 plugin formats use in total.

However - if you think, it's worth it for you.
I think it's still possible using the standalone installers for each application. They can be downloaded on the Arturia website. I can't remember which formats that can be deselected, but i think it's all of them.
It's perhaps also possible to get the options, if you deselect Silent Install in ASC. I can't remember. You'll have to try.
As AAX use so little space, then i think it perhaps is possible in ASC preferences to not set a path for a VST format, and then they will not be installed. (I'm not sure) - I don't know about AU though, but you can check that too.

If AU take about the same amount of space as a VST, and you only wan't to install one format in total, then you can at max save 1.5 GB space. Probably less.
BTW: Sometimes one format can do something another can't in different DAW's.
I assume the CLAP format is coming to Arturia.

No doubt even small amounts of space can be worth saving, if the files is'nt needed and one does'nt have much disk space.

skyfreak

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 08:22:10 pm »
thx mate, for all the info, I will have to dig into it and check.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 09:16:48 pm »
Your welcome.

I'm interested in how much space AU use.

skyfreak

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 09:29:54 pm »
on MacOS Ventura it should be
/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
and I do have the V collection 8+9upgrade installed, wich makes a total of 2.04 GB

LBH

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:32:53 pm »
Thanks.

I guess that's for all plugin formats. Then it look like a AU use similar space to a VST.

skyfreak

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 11:36:48 pm »
you are right, they are all nearly same size as I just checked

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines