April 18, 2024, 08:18:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: He's Baa-aack  (Read 1032 times)

VoxFisa333

• Apprentice
He's Baa-aack
« on: May 30, 2023, 11:00:26 am »
I have the new computer set up more or less. It's an Acer Predator Orion 500-640-ub12. The best I could do for a monitor is an Acer VT270. I wanted both touchscreen and decent perfomrance. I also picked up a pair of Acer Predator gaming headphones. These were all Acer Certified Refurbished like new

The computer seems a bit slow transferring data to a 2 TB thumb drive at 1/2 GB/min. It is a dodecacore at 2.20  GHz or something like that and YouTube actually buffers. At the advice of my Tech, I looked into the Task Manager and each category is chock full of stuff so on the 5th we are going through it. I paid over 2300 USD for this, I expect more than a moped here. After searching around, I decided that I would need a gaming computer to handle the kind of  graphics, audio and video I would be doing and I found an Orion 5000 for a bit more than I would have paid for an Orion 3000. The name will eventually be StarCat 5K CE (or AD; but CE sounds more techie)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: He's Baa-aack
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 12:09:48 pm »
Congrats! :)

I wouldn't worry about the thumb drive speed - if that's a "cheap" USB 2 thumb drive, the transfer speed would be limited to 60MB/s, and then there's the flash device in the drive which is probably much slower, could be 10-20MB/s, so I reckon that sounds about right. Likewise with the YouTube buffering, another IO bound limitation.

But yeah, if it came with the OS pre-installed, chances are there's lots of stuff you can remove from the startup and lots of services that can be stopped. I wouldn't expect gaining much outright speed from that tough, mostly freeing up some memory and reducing the boot-up time.

In any case, that computer will haul a$$ for your music apps. Have you gotten around to try some soft synths on it? What are you planning to run?

VoxFisa333

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2023, 10:41:39 am »
My old HP did better on YT

Unfortunately, while it seemed slow for drives like 512 GB capacity, I tired it on a couple of 2 TB drives and it corrupted the files on one and put the other in cyclic redundancy error lockout and is a bit balky with the touchscreen. Not good if you are doing digital art with the likes of Krita, GIMP or Inkscape

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2023, 12:47:03 pm »
Whoops... that doesn't sound good. If everything is right, this should be a racer. I hope you get that thoroughly sorted on the clinic on the 5th!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines