September 08, 2024, 12:55:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MiniFreak with in a DAW environment?  (Read 1600 times)

Glouglou

MiniFreak with in a DAW environment?
« on: April 10, 2023, 12:06:48 am »
Please help.  How can I use my Minifreak in a DAW environment?

If I set local off then I can play my other gear through my DAW but I cannot really edit my Minifreak patches because the screen does not respond to the knobs.

If I set local on then I can edit my Minifreak patch (screen responds to the knobs) but I cannot play my other gear through the DAW without also playing the Minifreak.  Not only that but I get into a wierd loop problem if I'm positionned on a Minifrek part in my DAW (turning the Tune know will result in both the fine and corse tune change simultaneously, maybe other loop problems with other knobs with double functions).

So right now the only way I find to use the MiniFreak in a DAW environment is to turn local on and position myself on a non-Midi track in the DAW when I want to edit a Minifreak patch.  And turn local mode off when I want to control my other gear with the MiniFreak.  Right now my MiniFreak is using USB-Midi, would using good-ol-midi-cables make a difference?

I must be missing something because this would make the Minifreak pretty much the only modern electronic music gear that is not meant to be used in a DAW environment. 

Please tell me how you use you Minifreak in a DAW environment (I'm using Cubase 12 Pro).  This is a very interesting synth but I only want one mini-keyboard on my desk. 

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
Re: MiniFreak with in a DAW environment?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 09:06:46 am »
Hello Glouglou

Why not use the MiniFreak V? It was purposely made for this.
Create a track with MiniFreak V, you link it to your Hardware, then you can control the synth with the VST parameters of the software.
No need for Local Off/On, this is only if you use MIDI.
I really recommend you give it a go.
Hope that helps.
QA Technician

Glouglou

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 11:09:17 pm »
I appreciate your reply but I'm a bit puzzled.  If I wanted to use software synths I would not be buying hardware synths.  Obviously.  I'm not going to consider your suggestion.  Seriously, you have to look into your local on/off implementation.  I'm kind of surprised nobody in the QA picked this up.  As if they were testing the Minifreak in isolation and never considered it could be used to control other synths within a DAW environment. 

So I'm bumping this thread up, what about other users reading this using the Minifreak to control other hardware synths, how do you manage?

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 10:51:19 am »
Hello Glouglou
"Obviously.  I'm not going to consider your suggestion."
=> any good reason? why not give it a try?

"Seriously, you have to look into your local on/off implementation.  I'm kind of surprised nobody in the QA picked this up"
=> this has been specified exactly the way it works, the goal of the MiniFreak was to have a software companion to ease the workflow in a DAW.
Can you give us a clear and detailed explanation of your setup and what you are trying to achieve?

"As if they were testing the Minifreak in isolation and never considered it could be used to control other synths within a DAW environment. "
=> I don't appreciate your reply, no need to be rude.
Thanks in advance for considering this answer.
Good day to you.
QA Technician

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines