April 28, 2024, 08:11:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: VCO Issues  (Read 787 times)

CoreyLaGray

• Apprentice
VCO Issues
« on: December 27, 2022, 04:14:27 pm »
I received my PolyBrute last week and VCO1 is dead every sixth note pressed.  One oddity that I noticed yesterday is that after plugging in an additional cable to the right (stereo out) the very same sixth note played several octaves ABOVE the rest.  I don't mean to beat a dead horse as there are several posts about VCO issues but has anyone successfully been able to resolve a dead or malfunctioning VCO without sending the synth away for repair?  I saw someone mention a debug menu but I'm unsure if I've stumbled across that in the settings.  Any advice or feedback is welcome.   

CoreyLaGray

• Apprentice
Re: VCO Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2022, 03:35:25 pm »
Just wanted to update my issue.  As of yesterday evening the VCO issue has been fixed.  The technical team responded to my request for help and sent multiple items to try.  Two days ago the suggestions did nothing to fix the issue.  I actually started the return process as I was pretty frustrated but last night I went over each step one more time and suddenly, VCO1 is working perfectly.  I verified again this morning after being powered off all night and it's still working.  Pretty big relief as this is the most enjoyable (and expensive) piece of equipment I've ever purchased for myself.  Two things to note.  When I received my PolyBrute last week we were in a cold spell here in Texas and while the ambient temp inside of our house isn't freezing it wasn't exactly warm either.  Warmer and slightly more humid weather has returned to our area as of yesterday.  Coincidence?  Not sure.  The second thing of note was that last night after entering debug mode I long held the polyphony button after calibrating the VCO so I could see the faulty voice on the screen when played.  This was recommended by the technical team but I didn't try it two nights ago.  Anyways, huge sigh of relief, I absolutely love this machine.     

wailin_jennings

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2022, 04:33:13 pm »
Not really sure if I am having the same problem as you but I just got a Polybrute yesterday and every 4 to 6 key presses the note will be out of tune. I cant play chords in poly or even run though a scale with out every 4th or 5th note being flat or sharp. Tried recalibrating everything and it didnt help. I am new to synths and this forum so not sure how to best get help. I purchased the item used through reverb so I cant return it unfortunately.

CoreyLaGray

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 06:28:15 pm »
The following is copied from the email I received from Arturia.  I'm pretty sure the Debug calibrations are what fixed mine.

Could you please confirm for me if on each power-up of the unit any message such as "PolyBrute Cold" message is being displayed on the screen?

Important note:
If so, make sure to always confirm the calibration immediately on power up for the unit to store further calibration values related to your ambient temperatures. Normally, after having stored enough calibration values on each power sequence you shouldn't see these messages being displayed anymore (as long as there are no significant ambient temperature changes).

Could you please first confirm me that you ensured updating the PolyBrute firmware or if already updated to the current version to reinstall it properly ?

First, even if your presets shouldn't be altered, make sure to first backup your presets as safety measures through the "PolyBrute Connect" utility.

Once done, you can then proceed:

- Press the "Settings" button
- Then press buttons "8" Misc and finally "3" Factory reset

From there the unit parameters should be reverted to their default values.

Now make sure to let your PolyBrute warm up properly for at least 20 minutes (even 30 minutes if you'd like to be definitely sure that the oscillators are perfectly stabilized) then proceed with another calibration to confirm if this still persists afterward or not.

If this persists, make sure to also try the suggestion below:

- Press "Settings"
- Press button "8" (Misc)
- Press button "4" (Voice Auto-Tuning)
- Press button "4" (Restore)

You may have to proceed with another calibration of the VCO and of the VCF afterward before giving it another try.

If the suggestions above didn't help, trying also to reset of all the calibration values stored in the unit may be also useful:

To do so, please use the "Debug mode":

- Press at the same time Motion "Rec Arm" + "Morphee" Mode buttons:

The message "Debug Mode ON" should be then displayed on the screen.

- Then to enter the "Reset Voice calibration" menu, you'll have to Press and Hold at the same time the "VCO1" then "VCO2" &  then "Noise" buttons located in the Mixer section (In the precise order mentioned).

- You'll then have four options:

(1) VCO calib Reset
(2) VCF calib Reset
(3) VCA calib Reset
(4) All Reset

- Press the button (1) below the display to proceed with the VCO values deletion.

- From there, still once having ensured that the unit properly warmed up, make sure to proceed with another VCO calibration.

In case, calibration failures after having proceeded with these steps keeps on occurring, i would suggest you to ensure also trying to first:

- Power OFF the unit and unplug it from its power source
- Then let it rest for a few hours
- Power it back again and then proceed with further calibrations to confirm if this still occurs or not

Finally, if you're still unable to resolve the issue, make sure confirm which precise voice seems to be faulty:

Still once in "Debug mode":

- Enter the "Voice debug" mode proceed with a long press on the "Polyphony" button

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines