April 27, 2024, 09:33:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum Fixed Velocity Only?  (Read 604 times)

maax555

• Apprentice
Drum Fixed Velocity Only?
« on: December 06, 2022, 01:50:51 pm »
Hi, just got the Keylab Essential 49 key and now playing with Analog Lab V. All of the drums I have tried have a fixed velocity. Is this correct as it makes no sense to me? I posted same query on Facebook and I belie some said you just go to the top right settings and change the velocity setting (i have seen a choice of 4 settings in the midi control software). However this setting is not available in the suggested menu and I can not find it anywhere else. If someone could please advise as without velocity control I find that these are not usable at all.

many thanks

LBH

Re: Drum Fixed Velocity Only?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 06:43:05 pm »
Hello,

A sound only react to velocity, if it's programmed to do so.
There are sounds in Analog Lab that's programmed to use velocity and sounds that's not. That include drum sounds.

maax555

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 07:51:07 pm »
So a few of the drum sounds have minimal difference in levels. For example hit the keys as softly as possible and the volume is say 8 out of 10. Hit as hard as possible and its 10 so hardly any difference. Also its just a tiny change in volume, no multisample triggering etc. This is the first time I have purchased Arturia so didnt know what to expect, however the price tag is not budget, Analog Lab V on its own is around £200. My other gear Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate with Komplete S61 MKii keys. Along with Omnisphere, Steinberg and Korg VST's. All of which I would describe as outstanding. However what I am getting from this Arturia setup feels firmly in the very budget entry level area without the budget price. I will plug in one of my other keyboard to see if this is an issue with KeyLab 49 or Analog Lab 5. Perhaps I have a faulty keyboard but something does not seem to be right.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 10:07:21 pm »
If you wan't me to test something, then please name a factory preset.

Do you have the full version of Analog Lab? Only a version with fewer presets come with the controller. As far as i know that also give a discount to upgrade. Not sure if it's in periods one get the offer.

Why do you mention multisamples? What do you think Analog Lab is?

Arturias applications are mainly modeled emulations. They don't use samples.
In V-Collection the samplers are modeled vintage samplers. They did'nt use velocity controlled multisamples in that time period. But pros used the instruments with great success to create amazing music. Arturias applications have added velocity and other posibilites.
Pigments and the Augmented instrument series also have sample modules.

Analog Lab is'nt a sample instrument like ie NI's Kontakt. The sounds in Analog Lab are all created with Arturia individual instruments, and they can be edited in them too, if you own the individual applications.
Analog Lab is'nt a synth as such, even if it provide some editing possiblities. It can play sounds, and you can combine two sounds in it and such.
I don't see Analog Lab as a drum module, even though there is drum sounds, and you can use it like one.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 10:12:16 pm by LBH »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 10:49:01 am »
So a few of the drum sounds have minimal difference in levels. For example hit the keys as softly as possible and the volume is say 8 out of 10. Hit as hard as possible and its 10 so hardly any difference. Also its just a tiny change in volume, no multisample triggering etc. This is the first time I have purchased Arturia so didnt know what to expect, however the price tag is not budget, Analog Lab V on its own is around £200. My other gear Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate with Komplete S61 MKii keys. Along with Omnisphere, Steinberg and Korg VST's. All of which I would describe as outstanding. However what I am getting from this Arturia setup feels firmly in the very budget entry level area without the budget price. I will plug in one of my other keyboard to see if this is an issue with KeyLab 49 or Analog Lab 5. Perhaps I have a faulty keyboard but something does not seem to be right.
You're totally missing the point of this product.

The whole USP of Analog Lab is it emulates the behaviour of the classic synths that its various synth-engines are modelled on, including the kind of limitations we would today consider primitive. It's not designed to behave like modern instruments such as those in Komplete. People who buy it don't want it to behave like modern instruments. Making the emulations accurate takes Arturia a lot of time and effort, which IMO is very fairly reflected in the price. It is most definitely not a budget-grade product.

It seems to me you simply bought the wrong product for your needs, presumably due to lack of research.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 01:56:15 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines