April 29, 2024, 06:17:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Crackling sound when I play certain instruments/multiple keys simultaneously  (Read 911 times)

vangamut

• Apprentice
Pondering whether or not to return my Keylab Essential 88 because of this most disappointing error.

When playing certain instruments on AudioLab V, like the DX Deckard preset, if I press 6-10 keys simultaneously, I get a cracking sound. I hear some clipping also.

I'm connecting the Arturia Keylab using the supplied cable to my Motherboard's USB 3.2 Gen 2 port
I also connected an AC adapter which is set to the right voltage, it lights up the panel before connecting USB.

I use an onboard sound device (Motherboard Aus Z690 Plus WiFi D4)
Realtek 7.1 Surround Sound High Definition Audio CODEC

Running Windows 11
Edition   Windows 11 Home
Version   22H2
Installed on   ‎09/‎10/‎2022
OS build   22621.819
Experience   Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22636.1000.0

Specs
Processor   12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz
Installed RAM   32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)

I have set the latency to the lowest option because anything above is just not functional for any musician.

I assume to have a good enough PC for this application?
What am I missing here?

Thanks

LBH

Hi,

I doubt it's about your controller unless perhaps if it's a connection issue like a bad cable or port. The controller just send out midi messages.

I'm on Windows 10, but Arturia should be compatible with Windows 11.

Have you checked if a single CPU core is overdriven. I'm not sure, it's about that at all. It should surprise me very much with the CPU you have (Unless you have made some bad settings perhaps), but it should be checked.

I can without crackling play that preset on my Laptop with much less CPU power than you have, and using my standard Realtek soundcard using the same settings you show.
However i don't use surround and also no sound effects for my soundcard. Perhaps you can try a normal stereo and turn off soundeffects if you have any on.
Windows features may not be good with to use with audio production applications.

Also it can be about overdriving your speakers or something like that. You don't tell which speakers you use btw.
You can check that.
Nowhere in the signal chain from the application to your speakers must the signal be over 0 db, as you then will get clipping. So you can check that.

I suggest you set your computer to High Performance mode in the Power Management, when you use music production applications.
And don't have lot's of things running in the background.

Hope this can help to troubleshoot.

vangamut

• Apprentice
I tried three different ports (all of them SS USB) and two different cables, including the one provided and another quality one from Asus.

I was using wired Sennheiser headphones, otherwise I tried using my Logitech Z407 speakers, both via Bluetooth and with a Line Out cable.

I don't notice one processor taking extra load over what is normal - usually 1 or 2 cores are taking more of the load anyway. I have checked and my BIOS is activated for usage of all cores and indeed I can see activity in most of the 16 cores when running certain applications.

I was also in high performance mode already and had only Google Chrome running in the background.

I'm afraid it's going back. A shame, since this may be another Windows 11 problem but I can't be bothered to downgrade now. But as I played I grew a disliking for its key bed, too stiff for quick action, not sensitive enough for expressive piano playing. If I do downgrade I'll look into the 61 MKII.

LBH

If you used Bluetooth with headphones, then try without bluetooth. You mention both "wired" and you used "both" with Bluetooth.
I think Bluetooth can add way to much latency. And perhaps it's not stable. Anyway it's something to check.

Also keep the stereo and no Windows features in mind in relation to your soundcard.

On my main computer i use a external USB sound card with a ASIO driver.

It's your choice what to do

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines