March 28, 2024, 05:17:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Which is best for a noob?  (Read 1194 times)

sneuhaus1

Which is best for a noob?
« on: July 15, 2022, 02:46:01 am »
49 or 61?

Why?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Which is best for a noob?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 09:30:55 am »
Welcome.
There's no difference other than the number of keys, and ergo, the size and weight.
The number of keys you need, and the size and weight you can accommodate, is going to be a personal preference that none of us here can answer.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Sweyn

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 02:17:32 pm »
If it helps, I chose the 61 because it wasn't that much longer of a keyboard on my desk compared to the 49. Mainly because the two wheels are placed at the top on the 61 rather that on the side.

jkipcount

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2022, 06:26:54 pm »
I'm a guitar player that's still very much a noob when it comes to playing keys, but I've always used 61 key keyboards and controllers, and I'd never go down any smaller. 

Even with my relatively simple synth playing, I can get a really low octave going and a higher lead part going together.  With a 49, I'd be limited to the higher of the two notes in the low octave pair if that makes sense, losing all that girth and grind you get from the low notes.  Or I'd have to play the lead part an octave lower, which is often not what you want if you want the excitement of that higher octave.

I honestly feel like 49 key controllers are really not compact in any way, so might as well move on up to 61. 61 is the sweet spot, even for a noob.

Bristol_Fashion

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 09:13:32 pm »
I'm a compromise sort of person so I've gone with 61 - big enough to feel like a full keyboard, but at the same time, compact and light, not much more expensive than the 49 but much nicer to use if you're going to be playing melodies and keyboard parts, rather than simply triggering sounds.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines