March 28, 2024, 11:30:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to Assign Vibrato to Mod Wheel  (Read 3525 times)

benkah

How to Assign Vibrato to Mod Wheel
« on: April 03, 2022, 01:24:43 am »
Dear Arturia-Community,

I just purchased the V-Collection and I'm super happy about my new tools. After diddling around for some hours I ran into a problem that really bugs me out, I just can't wrap my head around the concept:

I'm using a Minilab Mk2 as a Midi-Controller and for most of my sounds I want the mod-wheel to trigger vibrato (at least I guess what it's called in this context) for this extra funky articulation. Some of the presets already have it on board, other come with different expressions. I tried to assign vibrato to my mod wheel via modulation tab in the advanced settings in my Mini V - but whatever I map in the matrix, it doesn't do shit. Even if I put every position to zero there's still the initial modulation without any changes. Ooof.

I know this might be a super dumb noob question, but all I want is that sweet funky vibrato on most of my sounds. There should be a way to customize, right? Right?  ???

Btw: My DAW is Cubase 7.5 and I'm on a Mac.

I'd be happy about anything that helps  ;D

Best Wishes,
Berni

LBH

Re: How to Assign Vibrato to Mod Wheel
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 01:12:28 pm »
Hi,

The modwheel can be used for many things. So each preset need to be programmed.

The modwheel can in a Mini V3 preset be set to control vibrato in two ways. The original way and by using the added LFO.
In the original way OSC3 was used as modulator. The red buttons "Oscilator Modulation" and "Filter Modulation" determines if the OSC and filter shall be modulated by the modwheel. The "Mod Mix" knob mix the sources OSC3 and Noise. When fully towards OSC3 only OSC3 modulate. Set OSC3 to LO so it work as a LFO. The pitch od VCO set the speed of the modulation. The red button "OSC3 ctrl" disconnect the keyboard from modulating the OSC3 pitch so it will have the same "speed" for any key note.

Mini Vs Default preset use the LFO for Vibrato assigned to the modwheel. It's set in the modulation Matrix, so you can study that.
LFO is set to modulate Pitch with the set amount, and modwheel is set to control the amount of the LFO with the set amount.

Another synth will do this it's own way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 01:15:32 pm by LBH »

innerbooty

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 04:51:56 pm »
I am having this same issue. It's freakin' annoying. I am currently demo'ing the V9 bundle. The sounds are pretty darn cool, but on the Mini V I CANNOT get the modulation to behave in the standard, vibrato MiniMoog way, no matter WHAT I do in the modulation matrix window. I have tried all the tips I've seen on this forum... Some of the Presets have the Mod Wheel doing vibrato in the classic way. Many do not. On any of the Presets that do not already have the Mod Wheel doing vibrato, not matter WHAT I do I can't get it to work. I clear out the entire Mod Matrix to OFF. I set Mod Wheel to LFO AM. Then I set LFO to VCO FM12 or VCO FM123. exactly as it is in the presets where Mod Wheel vibrato works. But when I try to set it manually on a patch that doesn't already have that effect working, it does not work. At all.

Am I missing something here? Is it because I'm running the demo? Thanks for any tips!

LBH

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 05:53:13 pm »
I am having this same issue. It's freakin' annoying. I am currently demo'ing the V9 bundle. The sounds are pretty darn cool, but on the Mini V I CANNOT get the modulation to behave in the standard, vibrato MiniMoog way, no matter WHAT I do in the modulation matrix window. I have tried all the tips I've seen on this forum... Some of the Presets have the Mod Wheel doing vibrato in the classic way. Many do not. On any of the Presets that do not already have the Mod Wheel doing vibrato, not matter WHAT I do I can't get it to work. I clear out the entire Mod Matrix to OFF. I set Mod Wheel to LFO AM. Then I set LFO to VCO FM12 or VCO FM123. exactly as it is in the presets where Mod Wheel vibrato works. But when I try to set it manually on a patch that doesn't already have that effect working, it does not work. At all.

Am I missing something here? Is it because I'm running the demo? Thanks for any tips!
Afaik the demo version let you edit this. You just can't keep the edits you make.

Please name a factory preset, where you can't get it to work.
What excactly do you do, when you say no matter what you do?

Do you also add modulation amounts in the Matrix? If you check the Default preset, then the amount for the LFO to modulate VCO123 FM is set to 0.0001- If 0.0000 there is no modulation.

And which settings do you have for the LFO in the LFO/ ARP section?

Btw - The original Minimoog could not add vibrato this way, so it's not standard minimoog way. Standard original Minimoog way would be to use the VCO-3 like i have described in my previous post.
The original Minimoog did'nt have a dedicated LFO, so it had to use VCO-3.

innerbooty

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 09:05:17 pm »
Hey!
  Thanks for such a quick response! Right, I realize the original MiniMoog implemented vibrato from the Mod Wheel in a different way. (I'm used to the way my Moog Prodigy works.) And the Mini V3 solution seems like it would be great - if it worked! Maybe I'm doing something really stupid? Entirely possible. I am attaching a screenshot of Pro Tools HD 2021 2021.6.0 on a Mac, Mojave, Cheesegrater flashed to 5,1. On the right is a screenshot in Preview of the GUI for Mini V3 on the first preset in the "Lead" category, "24 VCO Unisson", which defaults to a setting where the Mod Wheel creates a vibrato effect using the LFO. Sounds cool. On the left is the GUI of the Mini V3 live in Pro Tools using the second preset in the "Lead" category "3D Pan". When I clear out all the Mod Matrix parameters and recreate the exact settings in the "24 VCO Unisson" patch I get zilch. Absolutely nothing happens when I move the Mod Wheel. (I know the Mod Matrix On/Off button is obscured in my screenshot, but I can assure you it's On!) I would love to hear that I'm doing something dumb and be able to get this to work. Thanks!!!

LBH

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 10:54:54 pm »
You don't say anything about the amount of modulation and about the LFO settings.
I can't see those settings in your images.

It work here.
In the 24 VCO Unison preset
- the AMOUNT knob for the SOURCE modwheel and the DESTINATION lfo am is set to 0.8230
- and the AMOUNT knob for the SOURCE lfo and the DESTINATION vco123fm is set to 0.0014.
I can see this numbers when i hoover the mouse over the AMMOUNT knobs in the Matrix.

The LFO WAVEFORM is set to sine and the LFO RATE is set to 6.44 Hz.

In the 3D Pan preset
then If i set the excact same values for the modulation AMOUNTS and the LFO rate, then i get Vibrato with the same speed and the same amount as in the 24 VCO Unison preset.

Are you sure you have set the AMOUNT values and the LFO rate (the waveform is allready a sine)?

BTW: Many years ago i played a real MOOG PROGIDY a lot. I really liked it. You are lucky to have one.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 11:13:21 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines