March 28, 2024, 04:34:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Attack patches sounds wrong  (Read 1973 times)

olepro

• Apprentice
Attack patches sounds wrong
« on: September 15, 2021, 07:43:56 pm »
Hi Arturia, I tested the SQ80-V up against my Ensoniq SQ80 and there is trouble reproducing many patches with attacked sound. Please listen to the audio file I made. I also included SQ8L for comparison. The order on the audio is Ensoniq SQ80, SQ8L and finally Arturia SQ80-V
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12glJqwUDuglcVYySG8WvIvSeXQ-WirxI/view?usp=sharing
I've also noticed that many imported patches have put env reset to off, with incorrect sound as result

aurelienarturia

• Apprentice
Re: Attack patches sounds wrong
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2021, 09:11:52 am »
Hi i'm Aurélien and i've workded on the SQ80 V as tester.

First thanks a lot for your feedback.
You right it's a problem.
Can you share me your preset ?
It could be easier for us to find the origin of the problem with it !

Thank you !

olepro

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2021, 11:18:11 am »
The preset is in my first post :)
I have found some presets that has problems.
Until now it seems related to the mod sources
Filter is also too dark in general compared to hardware, maybe together with the env. mods?
One sound loaded sine wave in LFO2 instead of square wave

When I get time, I can send you some of the patches that course problems, if you want

Best regards
Ole

aurelienarturia

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 01:43:56 pm »
Hi ! Thanks for your help.

Could you share me some of your sysex patches witch don't match with your hardware unit ?
It's probably an import issue but we have to investigated to find what parameters are impacted !!

About the filter, we noticed a huge dispersion concerning analog parts, thats why we decided to add it as an option in our modelisation.
We modeled the filter from our SQ80 hardware unit witch probably doesn't sound exactly the same as yours but i can assure you that filter sounds pretty much as our unit. :)

Thanks again !

olepro

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2021, 06:45:15 pm »
Hi
Made audio and patch files, and a text file with description. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fuZJ51xIJc-rxt64PbNXyIowMS460_cD/view?usp=sharing
I write the contents of the text file here too
This is what i have found until now: Audio files play first hardware then software

AM between osc 1 and two is broken (listen to "HARP", "READY" and "EL GTR")

LFO2 (edit: all lfo's) load sine instead of square wave. (listen to "FX-1")
I afterwards tried to make a init patch where i changed all lfo's waves to SQUARE, and they all translated on the software to SINE

Sound of Filter + mods different than hardware, often too dark sounding. (No sound example, but just my own opinion)

DCA4 does not import correct level(allwys max level) (BRAS is a good example, as I had to turn it down in my example file)

Envelope behavior sound different than hardware (listen to "BRAS")... notice the panning mod

Click with short release time is loud/bright Listen to "SINUS"

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:10:57 am by olepro »

holografique

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 05:18:05 am »
I agree that there seems to be some issues with importing sysex and certain parameters matching correct. I tried a few from both my ESQ-1 and my SQ-80M (yes, it's an actual ESQm running the SQ-80m firmware, which was a prototype unit for what was to become an SQ-80m module, but was never released).

As of right now, I get better results just manually rebuilding my patches and matching the parameters. I think what would be cool is if the plugin allowed you to switch all the parameter values to the same values used within the ESQ/SQ firmware (0-63 / 0-31 / etc.)

But...I will say that Arturia nailed the filter. It is EXACT to both of my units, complete with all the grit and character, especially the breakup that comes out when you crank DCA4, and turn up the resonance. The software is impeccably accurate in modeling this unique aspect of the ESQ/SQ80. I'm amazed. Knocked it out of the park Arturia!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 07:01:38 am by holografique »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines