March 29, 2024, 06:25:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Volca Sample with Beatstep Pro as Master Clock and Keystep Pro as Slave  (Read 2992 times)

seb2point0

• Apprentice
I just added a Keystep Pro to my setup and am having difficulties integrating it with my existing gear.

My setup looks like this (with a few noted differences) and everything is connected via MDI.

- BSP Out to KSP In

- KSP Out to Mindtech MIDI Thru Fiter In

- Mindtech MIDI Thru Fiter Out to 3 Korg Volcas In

BSP acts as the master and the KSP as slave. I'm able to control channels 15 and 16 from both controllers as expected – MIDI messages on channels 15 and 16 pass through the KSP. However MIDI messages from the drum sequencer on the BSP don't make it to the Sample (it works when I connect it directly as I have the new firmware). I know the KSP doesn't support the Sample yet, but the messages on channels 1-10 should pass through when I play drum pads on the BSP.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:20:07 am by seb2point0 »

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Re: Volca Sample with Beatstep Pro as Master Clock and Keystep Pro as Slave
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 08:29:04 pm »
My understanding based on discussion here in the forum is that the KSP will only pass through the MIDI channel of the currently selected track.  So most likely you need to have the KSP in parallel to the BSP as opposed to relying on soft-thru and having them setup serially.

seb2point0

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 10:34:06 pm »
That's a massive disappointment, especially when the vanilla Keystep supports thru.

I've tried syncing the clocks between the BSP and KSP with the clock in/out but the KSP tempo doesn't remain constant.

I've had this unit for 2 days and I'm pretty keen on returning it.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 01:39:18 am »
My understanding based on discussion here in the forum is that the KSP will only pass through the MIDI channel of the currently selected track.  So most likely you need to have the KSP in parallel to the BSP as opposed to relying on soft-thru and having them setup serially.

This is unfortunately, correct.  There is no proper and full midi thru support, on the KSP.  Midi implementation is pretty poor, to be honest.  Synthcreep is correct and you can only transmit on channels assigned to the 4 tracks and nothing else.  There is no way to have midi information sent to channels, outside of this, something I seriously learned the hard way, when I got my KSP, last summer.  There is also other midi based limitations, such as midi CC, aftertouch and program change messages, are not passed through the unit.

I would SERIOUSLY raise this with support.  Myself and many others have done the same and doing so, raises the chances higher, of this massive limitation being rectified, in a future update.

seb2point0

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 09:31:24 am »
Thanks. I think I will simply return it. It's not the right product for me and I should have done more research before buying it.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 01:50:17 pm »
Thanks. I think I will simply return it. It's not the right product for me and I should have done more research before buying it.

I feel really badly for you.  The thing is, it isn't your fault, or the lack of research at all.  I researched this product VERY THROUGHLY and NEVER once was it ever listed what it's limitations are, or what it can't do.  It focuses so much on what it can do and I assumed it was a give me that it had proper midi thru in the background, as pretty much all keyboard controllers do.  I have never owned a keyboard controller, that does not support proper midi thru. 

Here are other forum posts with the same problem.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102674.msg173488#msg173488 (This one was started by me last summer, when I realized the hard way, just as you are, that it doesn't support any channels outside of 4.)

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=104666.msg177540#msg177540

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines