March 28, 2024, 09:03:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Longer Chains needed or a way to Chain Scenes together  (Read 7905 times)

konjurer

• Apprentice
Re: Longer Chains needed or a way to Chain Scenes together
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 02:44:21 am »
+1

Edit: Just a +1 seems too weak... Allowing for longer chains (like 64 steps ) would only require a few dozen extra bytes of memory for each project. For me it would make a world of difference. I bought the Keystep Pro early on and am still quite frustrated with this device. While most of the initial bugs have been fixed by now, I keep running into limitations that make me put this thing back on the shelf again and again. Still not quite a "Pro" device in my view. A lot of potential, though... I keep my fingers crossed.

Well stated. I'm surprised that more people are not complaining about this. How can you put together a song in 16 short pieces? 

Please fix this soon Arturia!

+100

LaJoX

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 12:24:36 pm »
+1

Just got my Keystep Pro and am happy with it so far, but this is a very important feature for me, too. I got the keyboard for its sequencing abilities and hate fiddling with piano rolls or the like on screen. It should be possible to hack a longer song into the keyboard and play it back without the need for other sequencers.

sweeetdave

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 09:56:16 pm »
hello, i realize a firmware update is on it's way but PLEEEEAAAASEEEEE make it possible to chain scenes together... PLEASE

carlosabriola

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 01:11:45 am »
+1+1+1+1

ebrenegan

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2021, 05:47:32 pm »
+1 for sure. I'm trying to trigger scene after scene and trying to figure out if I should trigger it one bar or two bars before the end. At least it should have the ability to set the trigger to play the next scene after the one before it ends. Instead, I have to be quick. I still have not got my song recorded properly.

HardScience

• Apprentice
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2021, 05:01:35 pm »
+1

Also a super important feature that seems to have been missed in the latest update.

straypacket

• Apprentice
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2021, 12:42:44 am »
+1 please

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 03:02:17 am »
I don't quite understand this "need."
A chain can have 16 patterns, and each pattern can be 4 bars. That's 64 bars. At 120bpm thats a bit over 2 minutes of run time. A two minute pattern that can itself then repeat. That's quite a bit really.
BUT!! Each scene can have its own chain. So with 16 available scenes, that's 1024 bars (about 8.5 min @120bpm). Of course, you do have to manually change scenes. Being able to chain scenes would be nice, but I'd hardly call it a "need."
Let's remember that the KSP is not intended to be a sequencer/arranger. Its design intent, as repeatedly stated in the manual and marketing material, is focused toward live usage. If you're trying to sequence and arrange an entire song with it, I kinda think you've got the wrong equipment. Plus it's clearly focussed toward electronic music, where 1 to 4 bar repeating patterns are the norm. Most electronic music doesn't have a typical song structure with verses, choruses, bridges, and solos. Again, wrong equipment for that. 8)

I for one am LOVING this equipment. The workflow is fast and intuitive.
The biggest problem I've had so far is that the 2.0 update broke proper sync from a DAW with MIDI over USB. I haven't tried using other hardware for MIDI sync, but I've read that that's also broken. I'm currently working around that by using the KSP as master clock.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 03:04:54 am by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

hardware_junkie

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2022, 05:44:41 am »
Another request for chaining scenes. I read that the more requests there are the more likely it will be implemented. (This is my first and only feature request).
I was just working on a tune with a complicated drum part, and the first 1/2 takes all 16 chains at 152 bpm. All it is, is bongos/shaker/wood block - just backing percussion for live performance.

jeffrij85

• Apprentice
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2022, 01:46:04 am »
+1

spoxehub

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2022, 02:29:56 pm »
+1 for a thread resurrection...

I'm all for this, but there is still a lot you can do with 64 steps spread out over 16th, 8th or 1/4 notes. Really depends on the resolution you need in your pattern, which is where I agree it gets frustrating. I can build five minute or so songs no problem for what we play, but it IS limiting with particularly drum creativity.

luis.ceb

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2022, 04:40:20 pm »
+1
I ve been playing live with several synths with my band and the biggest issue I always come with is the lack of longer chains. I have to chain manually scenes but it can lead to mistakes in live music if vibing too much or distracted with something.

jonvalt

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2023, 06:16:20 pm »
Cut your tempo in half and you magically have 2x the number of steps.

jonvalt

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2023, 06:21:58 pm »
I don't quite understand this "need."
A chain can have 16 patterns, and each pattern can be 4 bars. That's 64 bars. At 120bpm thats a bit over 2 minutes of run time. A two minute pattern that can itself then repeat. That's quite a bit really.
BUT!! Each scene can have its own chain. So with 16 available scenes, that's 1024 bars (about 8.5 min @120bpm). Of course, you do have to manually change scenes. Being able to chain scenes would be nice, but I'd hardly call it a "need."
Let's remember that the KSP is not intended to be a sequencer/arranger. Its design intent, as repeatedly stated in the manual and marketing material, is focused toward live usage. If you're trying to sequence and arrange an entire song with it, I kinda think you've got the wrong equipment. Plus it's clearly focussed toward electronic music, where 1 to 4 bar repeating patterns are the norm. Most electronic music doesn't have a typical song structure with verses, choruses, bridges, and solos. Again, wrong equipment for that. 8)

I for one am LOVING this equipment. The workflow is fast and intuitive.
The biggest problem I've had so far is that the 2.0 update broke proper sync from a DAW with MIDI over USB. I haven't tried using other hardware for MIDI sync, but I've read that that's also broken. I'm currently working around that by using the KSP as master clock.

So right.  Instead of begging the mfr, how about do some experimentation lol.  And the KSP is not an MPC.  If you don't want to push buttons, use a pre-recorded backing track.  Much simpler lol.

dualmono

• Apprentice
    • dualmono
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2023, 08:15:04 pm »
Cut your tempo in half and you magically have 2x the number of steps.

So I’ve been using this and a Time Division of 1/4 for the track I’m working on to get around the step limitation and discovered a bug that I reported last Friday. The problem is: if I record unquantized in this fashion, the KSP doesn’t record all the notes I play. It just randomly leaves out some.
I suspect they set the resolution too low for 1/4 at any given bpm. I hope they can fix that… it’s pretty counterproductive.
To be honest, at this point in time I’m hoping they abandon the KSP as soon as possible for a version 2, because it seems they are not able to fix everything that is wrong with the current device. What a tease though… the KSP on paper is pretty much everything I was looking for.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines