September 19, 2024, 05:59:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Arturia Keystep Pro and Ableton Setup Issues  (Read 9330 times)

NCS36

[SOLVED] Arturia Keystep Pro and Ableton Setup Issues
« on: April 26, 2020, 02:11:30 pm »
Hello people,
First of all,ableton doesnt has the keystep pro as an option in the settings so I choose Beatstep like its written in the manual.
I setup everything according to the manual.
Now:
-I am not able to change the BPM from arturia to the one in ableton ,when I change from ableton its not changing in the Keystep pro. I wish I could control the BPM from ableton via arturia.
-When I press play on arturia its not playing, I have to press play from Ableton.
-In generall I have zero control over ableton , other than choosing track 1 2 3 4.    (3 and 4 cant be put as midi to master,i guess because beatstep is selected instead of the missing keystep pro in the settings)
I would apreciate any help,I am new to this, sold my Push 2 and was hoping for an easier setup.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:07:43 am by Edouard_Arturia »

johndoe

Re: Arturia Keystep Pro and Ableton Setup Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:43:38 am »
Hello people,
First of all,ableton doesnt has the keystep pro as an option in the settings so I choose Beatstep like its written in the manual.
I setup everything according to the manual.
Now:
-I am not able to change the BPM from arturia to the one in ableton ,when I change from ableton its not changing in the Keystep pro. I wish I could control the BPM from ableton via arturia.
-When I press play on arturia its not playing, I have to press play from Ableton.
-In generall I have zero control over ableton , other than choosing track 1 2 3 4.    (3 and 4 cant be put as midi to master,i guess because beatstep is selected instead of the missing keystep pro in the settings)
I would apreciate any help,I am new to this, sold my Push 2 and was hoping for an easier setup.

Same issue here regarding your second point, when I press play on Arturia it's not playing from Ableton, I have to start play from Ableton, so ANNOYING.

And yes Ableton doesn't see Keystep as control surface so you have to choose Beatstep as per manual, but to be honest it looks more like a workaround on Arturia's part, since the BSP and the KSP are designed differently, not sure it's working 100% effectively - for instance I'm unable to map my KSP transport controls with those of Ableton, the buttons and knobs don't respond in USB mode.

As master Ableton do control KSP's BPM correctly for me though, but I'm not sure regarding the opposite with Keystep as master: when I press Ext to take control it becomes a mess all the the notes are playing very fast and my CPU reaches 3000% and it stops.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
Re: Arturia Keystep Pro and Ableton Setup Issues
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:20:14 am »
Hello guys.

In a MIDI setup, you can find a master clock and slaved devices.
  • The Master provides the slaved devices with Start / Stop messages + a MIDI Clock(tempo).
  • The slaves are in stand by until they receive clocks and start stop messages from the master
So if you expect KeyStep Pro to follow Live's tempo, KeyStep Pro it is the slave => Slaved devices does not send the start stop messages, they receive it from the master.

when I press Ext to take control it becomes a mess all the the notes are playing very fast and my CPU reaches 3000% and it stops.
Don't you have a MIDI loop in your setup when doing so? (Disable KSP Sync Output port in Live when doing so to make sure there is no feedback loop)

DGDGDGDGDG

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines