March 28, 2024, 10:00:59 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: V2 Tweaks?  (Read 4375 times)

bpeterson1123

• Apprentice
V2 Tweaks?
« on: March 06, 2020, 08:53:25 pm »
Does anyone have any Piano V2 setting tweaks that they can share to make the piano sounds more realistic and/or to cut through the mix for pop/rock live performance? I've tended to go more with sampled acoustic pianos, but would like to give V2 another spin. Thank you in advance!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: V2 Tweaks?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 01:15:14 pm »
Unfortunately not. Try as much as I might I cannot like Piano V2, even though it's light years ahead of the original Piano V, it's still no match for sampled pianos or the undisputed class-leader in modelled pianos, Modartt Pianoteq. Their modelled D and B are so good they were given permission to officially brand them as Steinway. If you can afford to spend the cash, that's where my money would go. I only have the demo version because I'm not a concert pianist and I can't justify the cost of buying a premium-grade piano app; for my purposes the sampled piano built into Logic is good enough, and cuts through a mix better than the plummy muddy pianos in Piano V2.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

bpeterson1123

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »
Thank you, and I'm afraid I agree. A couple days after posting, I sprung for Pianoteq Standard and am very happy with the tone, flexibility and features. It's too bad that Arturia can't be more competitive in the acoustic piano VST space.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 01:16:04 pm »
Agreed. Their recent synth emulations such as CMI, DX7 etc have all been very authentic, but the organs and pianos remain a disappointment. The flexibility is fine, but the sound doesn't cut it.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

sharpnine

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 07:43:00 pm »
Yes, Pianoteq is great, and I've purchased the pro version, which I've found to be well worth the price. When I got Pianoteq I thought the at least now I found the best piano I will ever need, and stopped considering others (and still feel this way). However I received Piano V free with my Keylab 88 mkii and have found it pretty impressive. Not yet up to Pianoteq, for sure, but I really like to think there is some competition for Pianoteq in the modeled piano market. I specifically miss the aftertouch support in Pianoteq (I don't think it's possible in Piano V to map aftertouch but maybe I just haven't figured it out) and the ability in Pianoteq pro to modify each key. While this sounds like a pain, they make it easy where you can draw a line across the keyboard showing which keys should respond to velocity, aftertouch, etc. in which ways. The Keylab 88 does not have a graded action, but by drawing a line that goes up and down at the ends you can simulate a graded action, in Pianoteq.

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 12:09:49 pm »
Benn Jordan used to do some amazingly entertaining and informative reviews of equipment and software, recording etc. Here is one he did on Pianoteq. If it wasn't for the price, I'd already own it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOMVq82DC4

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines